V6 vs V8 Debate.. No bashing, straight up conversation.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So I've owned my 95 for around 2 years so far. Its my first car, and I love the fact that I have a V8. To me, there's no better sound than a V8 especially with some exhaust. Now with that said, I think V6's can sound good if the right exhaust is chosen. But to those of you who own a V6, what was the reasoning behind getting it and got a GT? I was told by my Dad that if I was getting a Mustang, Charger, Camaro etc.. only get a V8 or you'll never be happy no matter how good it looks or how fast it is, the sound will kill it for you. I have a prime example of this. Someone that I'm pretty close to bought a 2006 V6 about 5 years ago. Car came with ford racing dual axlebacks and some appearance mods. Over the years, full bolt ons, posi rear, 4.10 gears, hood, wing, wheels, grille, everything outside of a supercharger/turbo/procharger has been done to this car. He's changed his exhaust more times than probably the average 10 people do in their lifetime. Longtubes, going from y pipe to X, to H, to X, to h and back to X.. Electric exhaust cutouts.. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he's not happy with the way it sounds.. So I've suggested, SUGGESTED, saving up for a GT for the future. I got the response, anyone can buy a GT and it be fast blah blah. Than i replied, thats true but for the most part you'll love the car everytime you start it up and hear those eight cylinders fire. I've tried helping him, but you can only talk to the wall so much before going insane. He made it look phenominal, but the sound kills it. Driving around with open longtubes via electric cutouts or closed and driving around straight piped with longtubes and no cats seems idiotic to me. It honestly doesn't sound good at all, when he had the H pipe it sounded good. To me a V6 Mustang is a Mustang, same goes for a GT, or a Cobra. I know the V6's can be made to be very fast cars, and most sound good modded, but for myself I just can't ever own one. Nothing against them, just doesn't do anything for me. I have a lot of respect for V6's, there are a lot out there pushing a lot of power and are definitely some badass rides. OJ, monkey, Lilroush, have some sick six banger's. I don't hate on V6's at all, i have friends and other people that say why buy a six its pointless, why mod it. To me i could care less, you're driving a Mustang and i don't really care what you have under the hood. So to some V6 owners, do some of you have the same I bought a V6, anyone can buy a GT attitude? Again this isn't an arguement, bashing contest, or blank measuring contest. I want to hear people's views and opinions on the topic.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The mustang's largest selling point has always been the V6. Now that they can offer one with fuel-economy AND power, there's no stopping it! Unless they crank out an ugly version, or something.

They're all mustangs. the Mustang would even exist if it weren't for the V6 option in 64, 65, 66.... Anyone who bashes a V6 pony (key word: pony car) is lost on their Mustang History.

Would I own one? No. Have I owned on? Yes.

Were they BRUTALLY under powered some years? Yes.

That problem has been fixed.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The mustang's largest selling point has always been the V6. Now that they can offer one with fuel-economy AND power, there's no stopping it! Unless they crank out an ugly version, or something.

They're all mustangs. the Mustang would even exist if it weren't for the V6 option in 64, 65, 66.... Anyone who bashes a V6 pony (key word: pony car) is lost on their Mustang History.

Ditto. A lot of people are blind to the fact that the first Mustangs were sixxers lol.

kb1982

Reaction score

Sure you dont mean straight six. If you got a 64 65 66 with a v6, please give it too me. Ill sell it for millions and make my 8 a lil quicker!!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sure you dont mean straight six. If you got a 64 65 66 with a v6, please give it too me. Ill sell it for millions and make my 8 a lil quicker!!!

hahahha. yes. you're right. I typed V6 and that was my bad. :p

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For me:

Me and my dad picked up this car when I was 12, 2007 or something. It was obvious that it was going to get an engine swap. Wasn't a ton of affordable 5.0 sitting around, my dad heard of the 4.2 and m112 setup.

Basically at the time it was between
1. a 5.0 with some basic bolt ons...
2. a v6 with more power and have something interesting.

We came across the 4.2, bought the truck and yanked it out. Then went to town.

Do I want a v8? Yeah eventually it will happen, but that's because I want coyote power. Its a great setup and makes the most sense money wise. for more v6 power i should go forged and new tranny, so i might as well go coyote and 6 speed instead.

Do I regret building the v6?
No not at all.

It's something i can be proud of and will never pull up beside something the same.
Why not be unique.
I felt I've made an impact in the automotive world. People have told me, and I know people look at v6s different after looking at my car. Some people even say I've changed their opinion on sn95s in general.

I have friends and know lots of people who are v8 fan boys, they want to hate my car but simply can't. I can see that it bugs them :p

As for sound?
Bullshit.

Is it harder to make them sound good? yes.
Can it be done? yes.

Again, I know tons of people that want to dislike my car because of the sound, but can't. It doesnt sound like a v6.
The only way you can tell by sound is the speed of the note.

The key with v6 exhaust is to go for tone, not volume. Mine is plenty loud enough, but isn't too much that you get that nasty sound.

At the end of the day, its my car. Not anyone elses.

If you don't like it, read the license plate frame.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION] Valid points. Yours sounds amazing, part of the reason why I bought MAC mufflers for my 5.0 LOL.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Not really a debate to me. It's like C cups or D cups... I don't even wish I had a sixer when I'm paying around $4 a gallon at the pump.
I'm not saying I don't like what others have done to their 6's it's just not me.

Post up your favorite v6's

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I've had both and wouldn't go back to a v6. That being said, my v6 5 speed was more fun than any v8 auto I've ever driven. Gotta respect it all and to each there own. Hell my buddy's 4cylinder honda s2000 beats me in the top end department no matter what, even being down 4 cylinders. It's all about what satisfies you

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer taking turns more than going in a straight line. You're starting off with an already more balanced car.

The other argument I always make:

You're buying two 2002 Mustangs. One is a v6, one is a v8, otherwise every single thing is identical about the two. For the cost difference, you can make the v6 reliably blow the doors of the gt if you know where to spend your money.
Most people just waste their time with exhaust and bolt ons.

As for why I started with one? I was 16 and my first truck got smashed after I built it (the literal day I put it back on the road with a brand new motor) and my parents didn't really help a whole lot. At the time I loved new edges, but wasn't a big sn95 fan, and I got a killer deal on my old red car. Drove it for a few years just as I'd bought it, then did a motor refresh. Now, building another motor with forged internals for boost :)

joser714

Reaction score
I got a V6 cause that's all I could afford . I had a grand marquis as my first car (V8) and I don't miss the bad mpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The V6 doesn't sound as good as a V8 argument is invalid.

1. Sound is an opinion.
2. Louder is not always better. Especially when you have the loudest mustang in the city with only 200hp (aka me).

To me, there's no better sound than a V8 especially with some exhaust.

V8s sound cool but let's be real for a second.

V12
[video=youtube;YgXgvapum8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXgvapum8E[/video]

V6
[video=youtube;DOuWctMx3C4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOuWctMx3C4[/video]

If all someone can afford is a V6, then more power to them. There's more to mustangs than engines. However I would never own a V6 mustang, just doesn't make much sense to me. If I wanted a 6 cylinder car, i'd get a Supra or something. Or I would get something with even less cylinders, like a subie or evo. All while shitting on every mustang owner's parade.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I meant that exhaust comment for Mustangs dude lol. Bimmers with the V10s, German V6's, Infinitis, GTR's. Exotics.. All sound insane.

Rallim

Reaction score
I hate V6's. They sound like ass. I'm not talking just about Mustang's either, but virtually anything with a V6 I do not like. Off the top of my head I can think of two V6's I like, the Honda NSX, and the Jag F-Type. If I could stand V6's, I'd honestly probably be dailying like a 2013 V6 Mustang. They get great mileage, they're fun, I like pretty much everything about them looks and interiorwise, and they're cheaper then hell after a year or two. I cannot stand V6's though. Inline's however... oh god.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought a 6 would be a cool project, especially a Turbo sleeper or a modern 6 swapped into a SN but in the end I don't think the cost or time would make me happy enough to do it. I like the newer V6 cars and the Mayhem package was really nice but dropping 30k on a 6cyl Mustang is not something I want to do even if its 300hp.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
The V6 doesn't sound as good as a V8 argument is invalid.

1. Sound is an opinion.
2. Louder is not always better. Especially when you have the loudest mustang in the city with only 200hp (aka me).

V8s sound cool but let's be real for a second.

V12
[video=youtube;YgXgvapum8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXgvapum8E[/video]

V6
[video=youtube;DOuWctMx3C4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOuWctMx3C4[/video]

If all someone can afford is a V6, then more power to them. There's more to mustangs than engines. However I would never own a V6 mustang, just doesn't make much sense to me. If I wanted a 6 cylinder car, i'd get a Supra or something. Or I would get something with even less cylinders, like a subie or evo. All while shitting on every mustang owner's parade.

Nothing cooler then SLP lm1s and turning on your a/c to idle through a parking lot....

Personally I'm an obnoxious asshole through and through. I have had a v6 vert and it was a turd. But it was nice to be able to listen to music or have a conversation. I would own another

The D3V

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hate V6's. They sound like ass. I'm not talking just about Mustang's either, but virtually anything with a V6 I do not like. Off the top of my head I can think of two V6's I like, the Honda NSX, and the Jag F-Type. If I could stand V6's, I'd honestly prov ably be dailying like a 2013 V6 Mustang. They get great mileage, they're fun, I like pretty much everything about them looks and interiorwise, and they're cheaper then hell after a year or two. I cannot stand V6's though. Inline's however... oh god.

You come up here
You drifty drifty
I come watch
Cars meet each other
Maybe much wow pictures
You hear v6
You eat words
We get beer to help wash down words
Sexy time... I kid I kid.
Good story, I tell again?

twovalveterror

Reaction score
there's no debate. most people get them because of cost. the same reason most people end up with an SN. not to say they cant be every bit as bad ass, but a base model is a base model. them being better balanced doesn't count for shit. they still handle poorly in stock form. I've not heard anything with the 4.0 boat anchor sound pleasing to me. doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I think times have changed enough that this doesn't even warrant a discussion. there is no stigma for a V6 anymore. hell, that's the upper tier of many cars model range. F1 is using them again. it just so happens that V6's that relate to our cars were made 20 years ago and aren't really worth shit, much like the V8's! I love my car, but not because it's the sickest one on the street. it's cheap as hell to run maintain and upgrade, it's literally been with me through everything since I was 17, and I think it looks cool at times. it's really not that nice, but I'm a simple man.

sorry if that violates the no bashing term. it's just my opinion. I enjoyed this hobby a lot more once I quit lying to myself about what I was doing. putting money into my car because I liked it and it's what I wanted to do. it's never going to be as nice as a 5 series or as fast as the newest hot hatch. I'm just having fun at this point!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online