Vacuum lines and A/C mode selection

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
I'm chasing my tail trying to find the vacuum line that controls whether or not the cold air blows from the windshield or the vents. It's looking more and more like I've spent the last week or more chasing the wrong lines. All the vacuum stuff I've been looking at can apparently be removed if you do an EGR delete. I'm assuming people without EGR's still have A/C.

Has anyone gone through this before? Does anyone know the name of the vacuum line(s) that control the A/C?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s the small black plastic tube that runs from the passenger side of the firewall to the vacuum block in the drivers fender if I remember correctly.

It’s notorious for breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don't sweat replacing the whole line. Just go to your local auto parts store and you can get a 2" piece of vac line that is just a tad bigger than the stock lines and use it as a coupler to put them back together.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I have done the “coupler” method with larger vacuum hose and it is still great after 3 years. In the plastic vacuum hose connectors section of your neighborhood auto parts store they also have vacuum check-valves. I put one in that vacuum line so that all the A/C doors do not go to neutral when I floor the pedal and vacuum drops to zero.

if you rub the rubber vacuum hoses and get a black residue on your fingers, it is time to replace the rubber vacuum hoses. After 20+ years dry rotted hose will develop small vacuum leaks.

Last edited:

CobraEd

Reaction score
A small plastic line runs from the vacuum tree along the firewall toward the passenger side to a firewall mounted vacuum check valve with three connections. One connection is to the line from the vacuum tree. A second connection is a small plastic line from that check valve to a hole through the firewall to the interior where it connects to HVAC cacuum controls under the passenger side dashboard. A third small plastic line runs from that check valve to a ball shaped vacuum resevoir in the passenger side front wheelwell. If these vacuum connections are not hooked up air will only be directed through the defrost vents the windshield.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online