Value of 96 Cobra...

Danimal

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new around here but not new to cars. I've been working on Mustangs for 8 or 9 years (old job at a performance shop). I hope I've put this in the right section...feel free to move it if I've screwed up!

My father has a small Mustang collection. He's moving soon, and wants to get rid of his "daily driver" Cobra. He is willing to trade for my Audi A6, but I'm wanting to know the value of his Cobra so we can work out a deal.

Details of the car:

1996 Mustang Cobra

White/black with leather, Mach 460, brand new Goodrich tires (300 miles), brand new front brakes (rotors, pads).

84,000 miles, always garaged, flawless paint (one small chip on front bumper) gets clayed/polished/waxed often, perfect interior with little/no cracking on drivers seat, never wrecked, all maintenance kept up, all high-end fluids used (Mobile 1, etc). You get the idea, the car is absolutely mint and the interior still smells new.

Mods (the ones I can remember):

Steeda Sport springs
Tokico (I think) shocks (1,000 miles)
Adjustable upper/lower control arms in rear
3.73 gears
Rebuilt Ford diff.
JBA shorties
Dr. Gas off-road x-pipe
Bassani cat back
Larger MAF (size/brand???)
Computer re-tune (not sure of the details)
Single blade throttle body
Sean Hyland cams
Tremac TKO trans (6,000 miles)
Steeda Tri-Ax
Weld-in subframe connectors

Thats about all I can remember right now. He bought the car from my friend with a blown head gasket for $3,500. He fixed the head gasket and added the cams while he was at it. The car drives flawlessly, runs perfectly and is extremely reliable. I've been under the car dozens of times and its perfect. I saw the motor when the heads were off, and all crosshatching was present. It was unreal.

Thanks for your time! I love this site! I hope to become a regular around here when I take ownership of the car.

-Danimal

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
they are on the used car lots around here for anywhere from 7 up to 10 grand, just depends on the condition

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
got my 98 cobra with 86000 miles for 10k off the lot. it was superrrrrrrr clean. cleanest ive seen with the mileage.. and it was completely stock. car sounds very nice, id grab it.

OP
OP
D

Danimal

Reaction score
KBB.com is saying $8,000, but due to all of the recent maintenance and modifications, he's going to want more like $9,000-$9,500. I think I'm going to give him $9,000 for it. I know for a fact that the backlash in the rear-end is off...so I'll use that to my advantage 8)

-Danimal

OP
OP
D

Danimal

Reaction score
I'll post up some pictures in a few weeks. I'm a tease...I know...

After reading a bunch of threads here and other sites, I'm sure that the vibration has more to do with the classic TKO vibration problems that everyone is having at 70mph, instead of the rear-end as I suspected. The car has adjustable upper control arms, so it shouldn't be too hard of a fix (assuming it has to do with driveline angles).

-Danimal

snoball

Reaction score
Around here 96s in the condition you describe and with the mods would easily go for 10-12k easy. A buddy of mine just paid 16k for an all original 98 Rio Red Cobra with 11k miles on the clock. I dont know why, but 96-98s hold thier value well. My dad bought his 96 three years ago with 14k on the clock all original for 15k.

For the car youd describe id give around 9grand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online