Valve cover and Roller rockers clearance, how to:

95-stang

Reaction score
Yeh i know there is'nt any. :)

Ok for any of you considering something like AFR [stud] heads and roller rockers, the standard EFI valve covers [on my setup anyway] will NOT fit.
Even using 3 rocker gaskets [which i wouldnt ] its still not enough, the nut on the rocker is still too close.
I dont have [as i'm sure a lot dont] access to a load of breaker yards to try valve covers, nor want to buy half a dozen new pairs, i've trawled the net and read all the "well mine fit" or "grind this off" and "grind that" or make your own out of cardboard etc etc.
Well first stop was Summit for http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=STF-63940&autoview=sku some 1" alloy valve cover spacers and
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...2&searchinresults=false&Ntt=TFS-51520018&x=42 a 1" manifold spacer kit.
So thats choice numero uno, lift everything 1" and screw around grinding it slightly to avoid the alternator "regulator".

My other choice is, half an inch will give me enough clearance, and get my good friend [as of now :)] to mill the valve spacers from 1" to half inch thick.

That way it all just avoids the alternator back, and standard covers still fit, [i can extend or shorten the EGR tube myself] and have a friend who does custom stainless bolts etc, what would you do? Any pitfalls?
Bearing in mind once the spacers are milled i'm in s**t if there's something i missed. ;)

ranger50toy

Reaction score
Remove baffle plate on inside of filler neck. Stack 2 cork sets with the OE metal gasket between them. Use 3/8 upper to lower intake spacer.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
I've already tried 3 gaskets together, [your right about the oil filler baffle has to go] but not enough i'm afraid, but thanks anyway.

stang94X

Reaction score
what i did was i bought a set of summit racing covers and had hole drilled in the correct place to fit the breather (they dont come with holes ) and also had to buy a 3/8 intake spacer cause the covers were taller and wouldnt fit without them, i tried every which way to make my stock covers work and this is what i had to do, but then again i dont have stud mount rockers, i have high ratio 1.72 roller rockers

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Glad to hear its not just me, its come to something when you have to think "what valve covers will fit " before doing any big head mods. :(

ranger50toy

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Yeh i know there is'nt any. :)

Ok for any of you considering something like AFR [stud] heads and roller rockers, the standard EFI valve covers [on my setup anyway] will NOT fit.

Are you using aftermarket valve covers or the stock ones? I tried a set of the finned aluminum covers and the throttle body was in the way of the filler. Stock covers cleared.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
I'm using AFR 1402 with stud mount and aftermarket roller rockers and only have the stock covers. If i just sit the stock valve covers on the rockers theres almost quarter of an inch gap below the cover, its actually sitting on the adjusting nuts. :(

ranger50toy

Reaction score
I have no problems with the FRPP 1.6:1 rollers and trippled gaskets.

ryclef331

Reaction score
TIP: I found this out the hardway. Watch your plug wire length when you run tall covers. My plug wires were cut to length for the stock valve covers and routed accordingly. Putting on the tall covers, I had to replace two wires b/c the new covers made them too short to reach the plugs.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Thanks, thats also the sort of info i'm looking for. :)

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Just an update, the alloy spacers arrived from Summit this morning, [fast indeed] and i'm dropping them at my friends house tonight to be milled. They are 1.2" thick, if i have them milled to half an inch thick, even with a gasket above and below, the standard valve covers WILL clear the alternator by a fraction.
And the height clears the rockers by about quarter of an inch.
This way you dont need to lift the manifold at all, so the egr pipe still fits, and the factory brace still fits, Ford [like Chevvy] want a kick in the nuts for putting the alternator there, a slightly slimmer unit might have helped more than a little.
Also this way the "standard length" plug wires will still fit ok. ;)

stang94X

Reaction score
i have those valve cover spacers and i had them milled, they didn't work for crap to clear the alternator, the little lip that goes around the spacers wouldn't let the bracket bolt all the way down to the head cause that lip was hitting the back of the alternator, i was a dumb-ass and wasn't paying attention and bolted it down tight and ended up smashing the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator and ended having to buy a new one

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Just get tall valve covers with a 351 windsor and you don't have to worry about all that spacer nonsense.
:hammer: :)

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
I cant see that, if they were milled to half an inch thick they should be nowhere near the alternator?

"the little lip that goes around the spacers wouldn't let the bracket bolt all the way down to the head" which bracket is that you mean the alternator mount??

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, the passenger side accessory bracket interferes with the valve cover/spacer in this case because the alternator is jammed up against it.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
2007_0720Image0008gap.jpg

Well unless the spacers are ridiculously bigger than the lip they fit too, i cant see why.
I have mocked up a piece of alloy and as long as the spacer is basically "cut in half" it will go in and so will the oem cover.
Even if they are slightly thicker, taking a little off the front wont hurt.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Here again, i'm using 2 metal\rubber, and 2 cork gaskets uncompressed, and theres still room for the valve covers, they are about as thick as my machined spacers will be.

DSCF0016.jpg

stang94X

Reaction score
just curious, why do you want the stock valve covers, you could have gotten a good set of taller summit covers for little cheaper than the spacers

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Does sound a bit stupid i know, but alloy ones probably need the hell grinding out of them, Ryclef had to cut and shut his, no steel Fox ones over to try.
At a later date i can have them chromed or powder coated, my wifes uncle's firm does both, plus the oil filler neck and breather pipe remain in the right place, that and you would see so little of them anyway once the plenum chamber goes back on.
That and i'm damn stubborn. :)

skidude69

Reaction score
Have you thought about the 6G alternator swap? It is quite a bit smaller and has about net 4lbs less rotating mass?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online