Very Bad problem

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a really bad problem. We got the car and first things first i did a normal tune up. Plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter, all the basics.
Well about a month later i snagged off the exhaust. sounded great so i kept it that way wasn't loud just had a nice low rumble to it. Yes i also thought there wouldn't be enough back pressure but i checked and 4 cats is enough. Ok so about 3 months ago back in Nov. The car started having a really bad idle issue. It would almost die out then save it self and come back. This was of course after i changed the timing. Well so 2 days went by i tried idle relearn and that didn't help. Turned it back to 10 just like it was to start with. Well so i go back down a octane rating to 91. i was using 93 while on 14 deg timing. So the idle problem is still there. First things first i clean the MAF, IAC.

After that didn't work i began to think i had a HAS problem. so i changed it. That didn't help. So next thing i did was run a bottle of sea foam through. Well that cleared out alot of crap. I did that 3 more times. Checked everything again. This time i thought the MAF was bad so i tried replacing it. Didn't work Tried replacng the IAC didn't work, Replaced the Dist all together didn't work. Ok so i am at a lose here. I pulled the plugs cleaned them put new wires on. All the stuff i am doing to the car has been Motorcraft stuff nothing cheap. i luckily had a connection at work and got 99 % of it free. I have had 3 different mechanics look at it. We checked all the TPS,IAC,MAF, all the voltage readings, O2 sensors, They were all functioning correctly. I mean 3 different people can't figure it out that were all Master ASE Techs and had been working on these type of fords for the majority of there career.

So now i am at a lose for words. The car is pinging on 93 now. I hope that was just the gas i got. I usually use Shell and didn't so i hope thats the problem. The car will idle very irractically. It will even die out now on occasion. More then once or twice if i am not on the gas. I made sure the wires were run parrallel checked the plugs. I am going to go check the plug gap again today. My fuel pressure while at idle is at 30psi when i rev a split second it will jump to 40. I turn the car off it will hold 38psi in the fuel rail.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
It's just a guess,but to me it really sounds like your act is out of range....or indexed wrong. A old ACT will cause pinging one minute,and rich idle surges the next. Our cars are notorious for it,and there's a lot of info on the corral about it in the 94-95 forum. You have other issues as well,but i would start there first,because it will NEVER trip a code until it's almost dead. Also check your vac lines for leaks. If your O2's are older than a few years,those could also cause simuliar issues....esp if you still have original cats. There's so much to narrow down all at once,it's hard to give you a pinpoint area to start at. In my experience,i tend to swap out O2's every two years,because our eec's are so dependent on proper function,along with the ACT,which gets dirty fast....so if your O2's are old,swap em out,(it will help make the car run smoother),then check the ACT,and see if it's indexed correctly,or just replace(only $20)....reset the puter,and see what happens.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
what kind of plugs are you running? platinum or copper? i dunno strictly a guess that sounds exactly what was happening to my truck. it would run decent then it would almost die but kick back in just in time to not die. turns out i was running expensive platinum plugs. i switched to 3 dollar coppers and runs fine now. prolly not the problem but is just a guess

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Motorcraft copper plugs. i have used numerous cans of carb spray to try and locate a leak and can't. So has everyone else. ACT???? Out of all the stuff i know how to do on cars

94twinscrew

Reaction score
95convgt said:
Motorcraft copper plugs. i have used numerous cans of carb spray to try and locate a leak and can't. So has everyone else. ACT???? Out of all the stuff i know how to do on cars

?lol.....believe me,it sounds wierd,but the ecc calculates a lot of different variable base on its(act) output in corralation to the maf and ECT....which is then computed for fuel and load tables.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I agree with the ACT sensor as well but you didn't mention. Is it throwing any codes?

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Sorry, what does ACT stand for and where is it? I probably know what you're talkin about but never heard ACT before. Thanks.

Also, is that 30psi with the vac line off? If so I'd get that up to the 42ish range.

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Not throwing any codes.

No the 30 psi was with the vac line on.

I pulled the spout out and checked the timing it was at 4 or 6 deg. So i set it back at 10deg. well when i was doing that i looked around the dampener and saw the rubber just all out of whack. Part of it was sticking out and other part wasn't so i plugged the spout back in and it won't balance out right so it won't run correctly. But with the spout pulled it purrs like a kitten. So i am going to have to get a dampener. This is a start to finding something out.

Which one should i get????

94twinscrew

Reaction score
I run a Pioneer SFI race balancer ...got it from summit for like $150 or something. No adapters needed,went on like a stocker,and looks awesome too.lol If you balancer is questionable,your timing could be way off(slipped on the elastometer)...so by bringing it up to a visual 10*.....you could be running too much timing,and not know it,and it may ping even worse.

Eastcoast5.0,the ACT stands for air charge temperature ...also known as IAT/AIT......and on our cars,it's located in the inlet tubing after the maf.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
Eastcoast5.0,the ACT stands for air charge temperature ...also known as IAT/AIT......and on our cars,it's located in the inlet tubing after the maf.
Ohhh ok, AIT is what I normally call it. Thanks for the clarification!

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i figure thats why it is still running like crap when i plug it in it's probably advanced a lot more then it should be and is constantly slipping. I hope i haven't done any harm to the motor. If i have oh Well time to build a new one.

I ordered this

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=PP-80007K 1&comp=LRS

Should work nicely i am going to try to find a set of pullies to throw on there at the same time.

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it.

purplehaze

Reaction score
what can i use to clean my ACT?my cars exhaust smells of strong gas.very noticeble, is this my problem?

ryclef331

Reaction score
purplehaze said:
what can i use to clean my ACT?my cars exhaust smells of strong gas.very noticeble, is this my problem?

Doubtful that is your problem but just hit it with some brake cleaner and rock out. I'd actually just buy a new one...they're cheap.

As for the balancer, could VERY well be your problem. If you haven't figured it out, the stock pulley is absolute GARBAGE. I've killed two on one car. I run a Romac on mine. Tight fit but a great product.

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i hope this one i ordered from late model resto will fix the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online