Vibrations

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car seems to vibrate more and more at higher speeds...my local mechanic told me that the crappy futura tires I have are out of balence and thats whats causing the vibrations...Is this correct?...can a tire out of balence cause that much vibration?...he also told me a need caster camber plates to make it not pull a little..

95-stang

Reaction score
Unless you have lowered the car, i cant see why you would need castor\camber plates.
Crap tyres can cause vibes, at what speed are the vibes coming in?
If its ok at 30, then say its bad at 50, but you can drive through say to 70 and its ok, its balance.
Is it through the steering wheel, or is the body shaking?

S

scarface

balance being off would do it. So would bent rim, tie rod end, or loose lugnuts :)

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
dont forget driveshaft

By the sounds of it it is only when going down the road so it isnt the balancer. most likely tires which should be an easy fix

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
it gets worse and worse at higher speeds...doesnt go away...can you bend a driveshaft hittin a curb? I was told my tie rods are fine...also there is a very small ding in the rim ..but i seriously dought that is causing any problems..

S

scarface

what you describe is a balance issue, bent rim could cause it to be out of balance.

smokeybear

Reaction score
Out of balance tire,bent rim,shifted belt in the tire,bubble in the side wall. all of thes will cause a vibration. you did not say if the vibration is in the back or the front.If it was your drive shaft the vibration would be severe( i know from experiance). and some times tho very rarely rod tar on the rim is enough to through the rim out of balance.hope this helps

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well it is barely noticable untill like 55-60mph....would the front tires ramming a curb at like 25mph mess up the balence in them or the belts.?

smokeybear

Reaction score
the best thing to do. rotate your tires but when you do it check the weights and roll the wheels in your drive way and look at the treads.look for an uneven pattern.all the treads should be paralell acording to your tires.look for missing weights.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
so its definately possible for just the tires to cause this vibrating and shaking of the wheel?

95-stang

Reaction score
Good advice is rotate tyres, swap front to rear and try that first. ;)

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think tires could be the problem, when you really come to a slow do you get a wobble at all? If it gets worse the faster you go could be the driveshaft too, could be out of balance. CC plates you do not need your car doesnt look lowered to me?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
no wobble when i brake or stop....umm its not lowered but the camber is off...so theres no way to adjust it without the plates..the front tires are 225 and rear 245 or I would rotate them..haha

95-stang

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
no wobble when i brake or stop....umm its not lowered but the camber is off...so theres no way to adjust it without the plates..the front tires are 225 and rear 245 or I would rotate them..haha
Well your in the poo then arent you. ;D

Sounds like something might be bent if the cambers off, assuming you know the cars history and no ones fiddled with stuff.

d_punch

Reaction score
his sig says 3:73 gear, and no mention of an aluminum drive shaft.

did it start after you installed the gears?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got a vibration after doing some rear end work I removed the 'counter weight' that goes just by the diff, I replaced it and it went away.

You should still beable to adjust your camber with stock camber plates, its just aftermarket get more adjustment...or am I wrong here?

S

scarface

justinschmidt1 said:
so its definately possible for just the tires to cause this vibrating and shaking of the wheel?
justinschmidt1 said:
well it is barely noticable untill like 55-60mph....would the front tires ramming a curb at like 25mph mess up the balence in them or the belts.?
thats a big YES to both questions.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
its not the gears..its hitting a curb that did it...something got messed up..mechanic said it wasnt tie rods and told me to get new tires cause theyre off balence...

S

scarface

the tires wouldnt be replaced to rebalance...they balance the wheels with the tire on.

95-stang

Reaction score
I've seen a good wheel guy balance a buckled rim so well you could hardly tell it was.
I think i would be sorting out your front end first, that kerbing might have knocked out a balljoint or track rod end.:(
If its enough to cock up the camber, somethings wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online