Volume bar won’t lower volune

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was adjusting the volume and it won’t lower, only get louder! My sound system is the original Mach460 with the receiver/cassette player in one unit above and the CD player alone in the lower unit.

Any ideas how to free up what feels like a stuck or frozen “-“ on the volume bar?

many thanks !

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The deck pulls out easily from the front if you have the radio removal tools and the face is only held on by two screws. It could be as easy as cleaning the back of the switch area off or it might need a new switch but it would really only take 30 mins to check.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. So my next obvious question: where can I get a stereo removal tool?

Werecow

Reaction score
Look up on Google what they look like for a Ford radio removal set of tools look like. Then get 1 or 2 wire coat hangers, cut out your own set with a pair of side cutters and make your own! Just a couple of bent pieces of a hanger more or less will do the trick!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Look up on Google what they look like for a Ford radio removal set of tools look like. Then get 1 or 2 wire coat hangers, cut out your own set with a pair of side cutters and make your own! Just a couple of bent pieces of a hanger more or less will do the trick!
you can do this with nails even BUT there is a chance that you will insert them wrong and the spring clip that holds in place will get bent back the wrong way behind the dash and then your only way of getting it out is to destroy it by tearing off the face.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Simple fix. Get removal tools, remove stereo, throw away stereo, buy newer nicer stereo and harness, install said new radio and harness.

Then enjoy the new radio!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Simple fix. Get removal tools, remove stereo, throw away stereo, buy newer nicer stereo and harness, install said new radio and harness.
We’re on the same page!

Then enjoy the new radio!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I have to remove the plastic trim in the console around the radio first? Duh... I’m an idiot! I have the plastic tools for that at home so I guess the head unit won’t be coming out in the NAPA parking lot!!

But first.... beer!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no. None of the dash is removed. You stick those little radio removal tools in the holes on the side of the radio and then gently pry them away from each other while pulling the radio out.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. Tried couple of times. Tool just pulled away under minimal effort. Then I jammed the tools in and felt/heard a click so I thought “aha, now I’m locked in. Pull that puppy out”.

Started to come out a little but seemed like it was hitting the plastic trim just above the top of the head unit. Even a little bit of the upper left corner of that whole plastic trim piece pulled away a bit. So that’s why I thought I needed the plastic “wedge” tools to take that whole trim piece off

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its only happened to me one or two times but its possible that the spring clip(s) on each end have over time worked their way out to when you stuck the tools in, it bends them the wrong way. Rather than releasing them beind the dash it prys them back behind it = bad. Try slowly inserting them while trying to make the pointed ends go out away from each other(so the bend ends you hold will be closer together) and sometimes you can pick up the clips and still save it. I have also used a bent pick one time but if none of that works then you are kinda stuck. If your dash has been out before and they forgot to put the screw in the back then you can simply pull it out. If your dash has not been out before than you can pull it off and it will break the screw mount in the back which doesn't cause any problems really. The final option is to stick a screwdriver in those removal holes and pry the face off. This will of course mean you do not need to worry about the volume sticking but.......

Werecow

Reaction score
Wonder if a lil contact cleaner sprayed in the volume slider would help?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
its only happened to me one or two times but its possible that the spring clip(s) on each end have over time worked their way out to when you stuck the tools in, it bends them the wrong way. Rather than releasing them beind the dash it prys them back behind it = bad. Try slowly inserting them while trying to make the pointed ends go out away from each other(so the bend ends you hold will be closer together) and sometimes you can pick up the clips and still save it. I have also used a bent pick one time but if none of that works then you are kinda stuck. If your dash has been out before and they forgot to put the screw in the back then you can simply pull it out. If your dash has not been out before than you can pull it off and it will break the screw mount in the back which doesn't cause any problems really. The final option is to stick a screwdriver in those removal holes and pry the face off. This will of course mean you do not need to worry about the volume sticking but.......

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if a lil contact cleaner sprayed in the volume slider would help?

I do have a can of that compressed air (?) for computer keyboards. Guess it can’t hurt to try at this point!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got ‘er done!! Got the stereo removal tool (had trouble getting it back out!), disassembled the face, blew it out with blasts of air, reassembled and viola, it’s working again!

Thanks, Werecow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online