Vortech S Trim @ 14PSI on stock bottom end - Help Me Get To Safe HP

Freefallin

Reaction score
Hi Guys-

Sorry to make another thread, but I need some good advise on which route I should take my newly acquired 96 GT to get down to safer power levels. The car has a base tune from Jason @ VMP in Florida but is currently in a holding pattern with the tune. I am going to take it to a dyno tuner whenever he can get me in. But before I do this, I have some questions and need some guidance on what I can and cant do to the car before it see's the dyno.

Here are the known mods on the car currently:

-PI Windsor heads
-BBK LTs
-BBK Catless H
-Turbo mufflers dumped
-Alky Control Meth Kit w/Vortech Aftercooler
-Edelbrock Vic Jr. Air gap manifold w/ 90*elbow
-Edelbrock fuel lines
-Aeromotive fuel pump
-Accufab 90mm TB
-AEM Wideband
-Vortech Power Pipe
-Comp Stage 1 Blower Cam
-Vortech 8-Rib 2.75" pulley
-Strange 28 spline axles
-FRPP 4:10's
-Steeda Tri-Ax
-Stock tranny
-Bypass Valve
-Draw thru MAF in passenger side fender well connected to Power Pipe
-Vortech V1 S-Trim (new bearing, seals and input shaft 2 years ago from Vortech)
-Currently running PCV but will swap out to Vented Catch Can soon
-Battery relocation to trunk w/Kill switch
-King Cobra clutch

So my big question here is this:

Currently the car is running 14 PSI on a Vortech 8-rib 2.75" pulley non-intercooled but does have meth. I am wondering which 8-Rib I should be getting in order to get my boost levels down to 10 PSI without going intercooled or BOV since that is going to cost some coin. The dude from Vortech said a 2.85" 8-rib would get me to 10 PSI but I feel that he gave me bad information.

I used the HP calculator in the sticky threads and came up with around roughly and conservatively 465 to the wheels on the current setup which I understand is definitely not safe for the trans or bottom end. I don't have dyno numbers to go off of without the blower, but I figure with PI heads, LT's, Comp Stage 1 blower cams and the Edelbrock Intake, the car would be making conservatively 260 to the wheels if not potentially more.

With this all being said, and just to propose the question again, what pulley size is going to generate 10 lbs of boost and what would be power levels be estimated to drop to? I assume I will need a new belt for whatever pulley I end up swapping to; which belt type and size should I run? Can I do a pulley swap an drive the car before it sees a tuner or will the pulley swap hurt it?

Sorry for the long-winded thread again, but I would very much appreciate any and all insight gents!

Sean

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Spray more meth and get a fat tune.

Ha, I wish it were as easy as that my man! Right now the Meth Dial is set to 7.

I am waiting on a call back from Justin @ VMP Performance in FL. This is who the shop that did work to this car was working with on the tune. Compression and leak down test will happen tomorrow..

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
BUMP. No one can recommend the pulley size I need to get down to around 10PSI? I understand 1/8" equals about 1 lb of boost, but I know real-world experience can differ. I was thinking maybe a 3.33" but what would that be equivalent to in 8 rib?

Thanks,
Sean

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Change of plans, bottom end is toast. Guess it's time for a new thread.

Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online