Vortech supercharged 347 stroker radiator upgrade.

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
I have a '94 Mustang 347 stroker car that is Vortech supercharged. The engine is running way too hot. Swapped thermostat (180) , burped the cooling system and replacing all the hoses. I'm looking to upgrade the radiator and need radiator brand recommendation links. Aluminum, 3 row, dual fans with shroud seem to be logical. The older radiator cannot manage the increased heat of the 347. Engine is so hot even the ashtray is hot to the touch. Hope wisdom is available to make the best replacement radiator choice possible.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can say do NOT get the mishimoto fan replacement as the fan just does not move enough air. For fan upgrades I thought I read about a mark8 fan possibly at some point but don't take my word for that. The mishi radiator keeps my supercharged 302 nice and cool but only after I swapped their fan for one that moved 4x as much air.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you know how much timing the cars running ? Fords run hot with too much timing especially when boosted

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
What are the coolant temps . Hot ashtrays are usually from the transmission

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't know too much about intercoolers. Do they replace the radiator in a Vortech V2 SI trim set up? Or do they co-exist with the rad? I'm also thinking the Tremec TKO 600 transmission oil, on my car, might need to be cooled too. The ash tray should not be hot enough to cook an egg!

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Do you know how much timing the cars running ? Fords run hot with too much timing especially when boosted
I've got a mechanic to look at the timing. I've been searching for a high performance radiator but the timing probably needs to be adjusted too.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
I can tell you the temperature gauge is at 50% when the car is warmed up and has been driven for maybe 20 minutes. I recently added a new and tested thermostat (180° C) and the radiator fan turns on after maybe 10 minutes of idling. Haven't gauge the coolant temp but it must be at least 200° C. Hot stuff when removing the excess with a no spill funnel.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
I can say do NOT get the mishimoto fan replacement as the fan just does not move enough air. For fan upgrades I thought I read about a mark8 fan possibly at some point but don't take my word for that. The mishi radiator keeps my supercharged 302 nice and cool but only after I swapped their fan for one that moved 4x as much air.
Thanks for the response. I had a look at those Mishimotos and it doesn't look like the way to go! A shroud is probably best for a radiator cooling my car though. Keep more heat away from the radiator while the fans suck the heat out too! But an intercooler could be ideal for this too.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If your coolant is 180° Celsius, you’ve got major problems. That’s 356° Fahrenheit.

That being said, an intercooler goes in front of the radiator and cools the air charge from the supercharger. When you start stacking things in front of the radiator it gets harder for the fan to pull air through it.

A 2 row radiator can be better at cooling when you have an intercooler and ac condenser stacked up there because it’s easier to pull air through it. Mishimoto radiators are great.

For fans and shroud, I always recommend Delta PAG fans. They are brushless, soft start, and flow something around 3600 cfm. They are pricey, but the are worth it.

Maximum95

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having problems! I have had two Mishimoto radiators. Had the first one for 3 years and it cracked. They warrantied it and sent me the updated version. I've had that in the car since 2016. Not an issue since.

Have you run the EEC self-test to see if both fan speeds are running? My CCRM has burned out before, causing the high fan to shut off and the car to overheat.

Also, the coolant temperature gauge on the dash can vary greatly depending on the brand of sensor used. Untuned my fan kicked on at "R" in "NORMAL", whereas my friend's car kicks on at "A". They both turned on at 210° according to an infrared thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I actually noticed mine getting hot when I switched the exhaust up. I wasn't sure if was the X-pipe or the shorty headers as I did them both at the same time but after that you could feel it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having problems! I have had two Mishimoto radiators. Had the first one for 3 years and it cracked. They warrantied it and sent me the updated version. I've had that in the car since 2016. Not an issue since.

Have you run the EEC self-test to see if both fan speeds are running? My CCRM has burned out before, causing the high fan to shut off and the car to overheat.

Also, the coolant temperature gauge on the dash can vary greatly depending on the brand of sensor used. Untuned my fan kicked on at "R" in "NORMAL", whereas my friend's car kicks on at "A". They both turned on at 210° according to an infrared thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing.
Do not even bother trying to use the temp gauge on the dash as they dumb them down to not scare the driver. I watched my car on the dyno in phoenix/summer get hot enough that the tuner said the car was pulling timing to try and cool itself and the whole time the temp gauge never got over the "A"

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I actually noticed mine getting hot when I switched the exhaust up. I wasn't sure if was the X-pipe or the shorty headers as I did them both at the same time but after that you could feel it.

Mine trans tunnel gets warm on the baking hot days too . Glad I got working a/c

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I had the motor/trans out I installed some heat shield on the bottom and that took care of it.
Yea I’m going to address that over winter as well as sound deaden under the carpet . I pulled the black interior out of the mystic for my rio red car . Grey carpet is terrible for me

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score

I haven't tested the fan re: making sure both fan speeds are working. An EEC self test sounds like a plan. Recently discovered the rad isn't original although the overflow exansion reservoir tank is. But the CCRM must be there regardless. I wasn't aware that the fan operated with two speeds. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
If your coolant is 180° Celsius, you’ve got major problems. That’s 356° Fahrenheit.

That being said, an intercooler goes in front of the radiator and cools the air charge from the supercharger. When you start stacking things in front of the radiator it gets harder for the fan to pull air through it.

A 2 row radiator can be better at cooling when you have an intercooler and ac condenser stacked up there because it’s easier to pull air through it. Mishimoto radiators are great.

For fans and shroud, I always recommend Delta PAG fans. They are brushless, soft start, and flow something around 3600 cfm. They are pricey, but the are worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to google Delta PAG fans. A new radiator is in the cards for next spring. (Shrouded being a priority.) Possibly an intercooler too re Vortech V2 SI trim supercharger.) Also my AC needs help. My car has BBK shorty headers and Magnaflow American Thunder exhaust with X pipe. So increased heat is likely unavoidable and too much for my current radiator to handle. I've got all new hoses and the car is already running a bit cooler now. But next spring is going to be eventful.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to google Delta PAG fans. A new radiator is in the cards for next spring. (Shrouded being a priority.) Possibly an intercooler too re Vortech V2 SI trim supercharger.) Also my AC needs help. My car has BBK shorty headers and Magnaflow American Thunder exhaust with X pipe. So increased heat is likely unavoidable and too much for my current radiator to handle. I've got all new hoses and the car is already running a bit cooler now. But next spring is going to be eventful.
The ac is difficult to make work in these cars sometimes. Weak blower motor, leaks in the ducts, and so on.

That being said, how hot is your car actually running and how are you monitoring temperature?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online