Vortech supercharged 347 stroker radiator upgrade.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do a close inspection of the harness going to the fan as they are known to get hot/melt and loose contact. I am also curious if its getting hot just sitting there idling, or also while driving?

Maximum95

Reaction score
I haven't tested the fan re: making sure both fan speeds are working. An EEC self test sounds like a plan. Recently discovered the rad isn't original although the overflow exansion reservoir tank is. But the CCRM must be there regardless. I wasn't aware that the fan operated with two speeds. Thanks for the info.

You are welcome my friend! Best of luck to you. When you initiate the self test, it will test fan 1, then fan 2 briefly. Also the fuel pump will prime again.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
The ac is difficult to make work in these cars sometimes. Weak blower motor, leaks in the ducts, and so on.

That being said, how hot is your car actually running and how are you monitoring temperature?
Just after I bought the car (good price due to gas prices) I drove it about 30 minutes on the highway to get a dyno tune. The guys at Mopac did a temp reading and the engine was around 230° so they advised against putting the car on the dyno. I got an oil change and went to a bigger supercharger pulley (3.8") to bring the boost down. Then looked at cooling down the motor as top priority. Just bought a custom soon to be built Delta Pag radiator with shroud and dual 12" fans that'll run on variable speed based on engine temperatures. New rad cap. Thermostat. Coolant burped and topped up. All new hoses have helped. This new radiator should clinch the overheating issues next May. An intercooler may be added if necessary too. The AC has been leaking refridgerant. The leak must've started in recent days. An internal valve leak has been suggested and I've found an excellent supply of new 94-95 Mustang AC replacement parts for sale on ebay. So this will be remedied next spring. Glad to say my ash tray hasn't been able to cook an egg recently. I think the car's now running a little on the hot side but nothing like when the dyno tune was pursued back in June. The timing will be adjusted too. The car seems to be running lean. I don't have a current temperature reading available but will have those numbers next spring when the new rad gets installed. I'd guess low 200° range is probable now.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Do a close inspection of the harness going to the fan as they are known to get hot/melt and loose contact. I am also curious if its getting hot just sitting there idling, or also while driving?
Nothing looks melted. The engine warms up fast and then the thermostat opens in about 10 minutes. The fan does turn on at that point. The temperature gauge was going past 50%, to about 53% while driving earlier this past summer. Then it would hold. Now it gets to about 48% and holds while driving. I think idling and start stopping in traffic is when the overheating occurs. The car seems to lose a bit of power when accelerating from a stop on an up hill. Has a better chance of stalling, too, if not careful. (Manual 5 speed Tremec TKO 600).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Any chance that the air deflector on the bottom of the core support is gone? It looks like a stupid piece of plastic maybe to protect it from scraping but it actually plays a role in cooling when it is rolling. I think I read somewhere that it creates a low pressure just behind it that helps to suck the heat from the rad down and away from the motor but I could be wrong if someone else knows how it works.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Nothing looks melted. The engine warms up fast and then the thermostat opens in about 10 minutes. The fan does turn on at that point. The temperature gauge was going past 50%, to about 53% while driving earlier this past summer. Then it would hold. Now it gets to about 48% and holds while driving. I think idling and start stopping in traffic is when the overheating occurs. The car seems to lose a bit of power when accelerating from a stop on an up hill. Has a better chance of stalling, too, if not careful. (Manual 5 speed Tremec TKO 600).
When I was measuring the current radiator, yesterday, I couldn't find any underside deflector attachment in place. I doubt it would be the sole reason for the overheating but a deflector would only be a positive. I think the real problem is my current radiator was designed to cool a stock 302 C.I.D 215HP 1994 Mustang GT engine. Not a 347 Stroker + Vortech Supercharged over 400HP to the wheel engine. The heat is greater than the radiator can manage. The Delta PAG radiator has greater coolant capacity, a shroud and dual 12" fans that can variably increase or decrease fan speed relative to the upward and downward changes in engine temperature. The shroud, alone, will be a huge boost in preventing emitting engine heat from further warming up the radiator core along with the coolant that's flowing through the ports. The Delta PAG will have wider ports to better reduce coolant temps while the engine is running too. The fans will be brushless. Delta PAG radiators are guaranteed to last for 50,000 hours of operation. Also the digital variable fan speed control module is guaranteed for 15,000 hours of operation too. Not cheap but a good investment in keeping a modified car out of the danger zone! Thanks for your input re: deflector shield.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The deflector couldn't hurt with as cheap and easy as it is to put on. I have heard of people having issues with heat that wasn't so bad at idle but driving then it got too hot and one of those fixed it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
@Tigerrrr22 I am glad to hear you spoke with John at Delta. He’s a good dude and they build a fantastic product. It takes a little time to get it, but it’s worth it. You may have to call him periodically and check up on it, they are crazy busy.

He’s finishing up my f250 shroud with dual 16’s

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
My name is Dominic. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I spoke with John on the phone for a good while. He's really professional and offers top of the line product. He's got some great youtube demo videos online too.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
My name is Dominic. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I spoke with John on the phone for a good while. He's really professional and offers top of the line product. He's got some great youtube demo videos online too.
Definitely. I’ve had his fan and shroud in my mustang over a year and it’s perfect.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Whoa you’re from bc too

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Only a few SN95's around Vancouver streets these days. Done right these cars really look great! I personally prefer SN95 to Foxbody! These cars really are blank canvases for every owner to utilize their own individual tastes and driving applications with!

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the 351 fan for the 95 cobra R it's high flow and fits . You can even go as low as 160'f and still be ok. Champion and griffin are both good radiators and reasonable priced.

OP
OP
T

Tigerrrr22

Reaction score
Look at the 351 fan for the 95 cobra R it's high flow and fits . You can even go as low as 160'f and still be ok. Champion and griffin are both good radiators and reasonable priced.
I actually cancelled the Delta PAG radiator order and have chosen Champion with dual 12" fans and customized shroud. Also have a relay plus stainless steel overflow tank. About half the price of Delta PAG. John was really cool about the cancellation. I think Champion is more on the level of my car plus with some of the money saved I bought a heat extractor vent for the front hood to improve frontal down force plus give the radiator better air flow movement while seeing engine bay heat escape during driving. This should be the clincher to ending overheating. The vent will have a GT500 type of look to it. Bought from "race louvers" online. The vent will be 13" across and 14" long. The hood will be cut and then the vent will be screwed into place about 2" behind the fans and shroud.

Last edited:

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I actually cancelled the Delta PAG radiator order and have chosen Champion with dual 12" fans and customized shroud. Also have a relay plus stainless steel overflow tank. About half the price of Delta PAG. John was really cool about the cancellation. I think Champion is more on the level of my car plus with some of the money saved I bought a heat extractor vent for the front hood to improve frontal down force plus give the radiator better air flow movement while seeing engine bay heat escape during driving. This should be the clincher to ending overheating. The vent will have a GT500 type of look to it. Bought from "race louvers" online. The vent will be 13" across and 14" long. The hood will be cut and then the vent will be screwed into place about 2" behind the fans and shroud.
Champion radiators work great

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online