Wanting to get a kenne bell Supercharger

Ballistic

Reaction score
I don’t know a whole lot about engines, but I would like to think I know more than the average Joe. I got a new job that is paying really well and I want to start saving for a supercharger, I have always been a fan of the kenne bell Supercharger.

Right now I have a 1997 GT Auto, with 4.10 gears, SCT X4 tuner and a few other minor upgrades, what are the things I would need to do to make this a pretty bullet proof daily driver? Like can I beef up my transmission or would I need to get a new one? I think I want to stay with the auto route. I want to get that Cammed chop sound also while I’m doing all this stuff to it, what else would I need to upgrade to get this done?

The goal would be to get around 400 RWHP (how much RWHP does it have stock?) I just want to know what I need to do and get so and about how much it will cost so I know how much I need to save

Any info or knowledge is much appreciated and what’s the estimated parts cost and labor cost? Would they have to pull the engine to do this stuff?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Save up to purchase an 03/04 complete engine. Swap it in, beef up fuel system, and get it tuned. This route will be far cheaper than building up a forged engine to accommodate your desired power level. Ive seen 03/04 take out engines forsale around $3500-$5000

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is that the Kenne Bell for the 4.6 SOHC has been discontinued. Would have to purchase used - unknown price and availability.

Stock HP is 215 on motor.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
If I was to do an engine swap I feel like I’d rather pony up and get a 5.0 Coyote...

I’m a little confused on the PI swap part, what exactly do you do for the pi swap, are there two different kinds of swaps like a head swap or an intake swap? I have done some research on it and just find huge write ups and don’t feel like reading them at this moment.

What if I went with a different supercharger, or even procharger? What’s the best thing I can do with my current engine? I dont have to have 400+ RWHP i really just want to be able to spank my friends with there imports..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
In that case, just find a small s/c kit and install on what you have now. Be sure to get a good tune!

Why can you not spank your friends?

Im thinking you need to start a build thread, so that we know exactly what youre doing with the car and what it has!

A pi swap refers to "performance improved". The head, intake, cams were upgraded in the 99-up mustangs and 02-up all other v8 fords. Swapping this upper package in place of your npi package will increase power. The pakage itself has better breathing and with your higher compression pistons adding this pakage will increase the compression 1point.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I would definitely do some research online regarding superchargers, gearing, etc. If you already have 4.10's a KB may not be the best route, or if you were dead set on a KB you should be considering putting some lower gearing in as well. It really just comes down to taste and your budget, but you should look into some PI heads and intake as mentioned, and slap on a centri blower and enjoy it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its sad to see the market giving up on the 4.6l. We are actually that old were we watch the old fade away from when it was new and big in its hay day. Only makes sence though, the modulars are 25yrs old!

blackdemon007

Reaction score
OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Sorry, let me correct myself.
Discontinued for 96-98 models - removed from the price list and confirmed when I called them.
Price List - http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Pricelist_pg/links/PriceList.pdf

I believe it can be done with the 99-04 kit, but I'm not totally positive.

Yeah i know they dont make it for the 96-98 anymore but i was pretty sure they still made them for the 99-04 and you just have to do the PI head swap if i remember right.. but i wasn't sure if i did the KB if i would need to like upgrade connecting rods, springs lifters fuel injectors etc?

If i do any of this ill have the shop give me there ideas of course i just like to know about it all before going into it..

I would definitely do some research online regarding superchargers, gearing, etc. If you already have 4.10's a KB may not be the best route, or if you were dead set on a KB you should be considering putting some lower gearing in as well. It really just comes down to taste and your budget, but you should look into some PI heads and intake as mentioned, and slap on a centri blower and enjoy it.

Im starting to think maybe this summer get the PI swap done about how much does that set me back? and do i have to do Pi cams? or can i get some for example comp cams like a stage 1 just to get a little move power out of it and that sound i love? But if i later went to a KB or Pro charger would the differnt cam have to be replaced?

And yeah i can change the gears thats not too much to have my ford mechanic friend do..

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
You can do a pi swap for about the same cost as putting in a full pi motor.

Check out cms stage 2 cams they sound sick (na and supercharged)

kenny150r

Reaction score
A Kenne Bell 2.1L would be so nice... that's my dream... and like others said they do sell a kit specifically for the 96-98's, they just require PI heads. Centrifugal superchargers and twin-screw are very different. Only thing that makes it difficult to run a KB blower with our pistons is the high compression, so if I were you and were going to rebuild an engine make sure you pick the right pistons for the job. Check out the tech articles on KB, they are super interesting and insightful.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have dreams of a 2.8 KB on mine but since I just bought some Trick Flow heads, no more KB dreams for me. I will just stick with my SVO blower.

Carnage281

Reaction score
I have 4.7 kb dreams.....I think I am dreaming too big lol. Well there is that 3.2 kit for 2v.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Just read Gregs (SRT Handz) thread about his kenne bell journey and ill probably go his route, but just do the PI Swap this summer, just need to figure out what cam to get i always hear about comp cams

those cms stage 2 cams sound good though, i just dont want to get cams and then have to buy new ones when i get a Supercharger or will doing cams increase my odds alot of blowing my motor?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Just read Gregs (SRT Handz) thread about his kenne bell journey and ill probably go his route, but just do the PI Swap this summer, just need to figure out what cam to get i always hear about comp cams

those cms stage 2 cams sound good though, i just dont want to get cams and then have to buy new ones when i get a Supercharger or will doing cams increase my odds alot of blowing my motor?
Its hard to say cams affect the dynamic compression ratio.... so technically yes the wrong can can be devastating to a motor but its not rocket science im sure everyone will chime in...... a build takes a lot of planning..... every piece is important

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Its hard to say cams affect the dynamic compression ratio.... so technically yes the wrong can can be devastating to a motor but its not rocket science im sure everyone will chime in...... a build takes a lot of planning..... every piece is important

Thats why im here now trying to plan for when i pull the trigger im not wasting money, i just want a moderate/basic came that makes my idle sound bad ass..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.