Wanting to run boost.

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by ga94gt, May 9, 2007.

1. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

IF my motor has good copression could I run boost (6lbs) on a stock bottom end with 180,000 miles on it.

I will be adding AFR 165 and steeda #19 cam and 1.6rr's before I go with the boost.

Or do I need to just rebuild the bottom end too.

2. Downshift

Downshift Well-Known Member

Is that your daily? I would be kinda iffy on doing it, but if you dont rely only on the stang to get you to work or whatever I would say go for it. 180k is a lot of miles though but there are a few guys on here that are blown with 170k+ just make sure its not running lean when you do it and it has good comp.

3. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

Actually the biggest problem you will have to worry about with that kind of mileage is ring bypass, even with good compression. Older engines running boost tend to build a lot of crankcase pressure and have a lot of oil pan leaks. Make sure you have a good pcv setup and if you have the ability, run a venturi system off of the headers to relieve crankcase pressure. You can also drill holes in the valve covers and add breathers. (remove the valve covers)

4. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

The car is not my driver. It will only get driven on the weekend

5. 94yellowgt

94yellowgt Active Member

My car has 150,000+ miles on it and I just supercharged mine. I saw 11.7 psi of boost and made 506.5 rwhp and 510.9 rwtq with the mods in my sig.

6. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

That makes me feel a little better. Anybodyelse got any idea?

7. Downshift

Its really up to you, as long as the car is healthy and you wanna take a chance because things do happen. If its healthy and you could get by with it blowing up if something were to happen then i say do it. :banana:

8. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

A venturi system off the headers (IMO) is CRAP when you run mufflers....unless you're running a straight through muffler in your exhaust system the backpressure at everything other than WOT will not be negated by the flow....

I'd have to see a vaccum/boost gauge hooked up to the PCV system on a car to believe that this system works when you're running mufflers.

9. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

I will be doing the comp check Sat. I will let yall know the results I am shure they will be good the car was lady driven.

10. scootin95gts

scootin95gts Active Member

can i do a comp check at home if so how can i do it? what do i need and what would be good comp for a 95 5.0

11. Downshift

Yes you can do it at home. Go to autozone and ask them for a compression tester, give them the deposit for it. You get all the money back when you bring it back so its free. It screws into the spark plug hole. Get a repair manual while your there, they are 20$ and are well worth it. I dont know the numbers off hand but its in there. And it will also tell you how to do a comp test step by step.