Wanting to run boost.

ga94gt

Reaction score
IF my motor has good copression could I run boost (6lbs) on a stock bottom end with 180,000 miles on it.

I will be adding AFR 165 and steeda #19 cam and 1.6rr's before I go with the boost.

Or do I need to just rebuild the bottom end too.

Downshift

Reaction score
Is that your daily? I would be kinda iffy on doing it, but if you dont rely only on the stang to get you to work or whatever I would say go for it. 180k is a lot of miles though but there are a few guys on here that are blown with 170k+ just make sure its not running lean when you do it and it has good comp.

Odysseus

Reaction score
Actually the biggest problem you will have to worry about with that kind of mileage is ring bypass, even with good compression. Older engines running boost tend to build a lot of crankcase pressure and have a lot of oil pan leaks. Make sure you have a good pcv setup and if you have the ability, run a venturi system off of the headers to relieve crankcase pressure. You can also drill holes in the valve covers and add breathers. (remove the valve covers)

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
The car is not my driver. It will only get driven on the weekend

94yellowgt

Reaction score
My car has 150,000+ miles on it and I just supercharged mine. I saw 11.7 psi of boost and made 506.5 rwhp and 510.9 rwtq with the mods in my sig.

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
94yellowgt said:
My car has 150,000+ miles on it and I just supercharged mine. I saw 11.7 psi of boost and made 506.5 rwhp and 510.9 rwtq with the mods in my sig.

That makes me feel a little better. Anybodyelse got any idea?

Downshift

Reaction score
ga94gt said:
94yellowgt said:

That makes me feel a little better. Anybodyelse got any idea?

Its really up to you, as long as the car is healthy and you wanna take a chance because things do happen. If its healthy and you could get by with it blowing up if something were to happen then i say do it. :banana:

ryclef331

Reaction score
Odysseus said:
Actually the biggest problem you will have to worry about with that kind of mileage is ring bypass, even with good compression. Older engines running boost tend to build a lot of crankcase pressure and have a lot of oil pan leaks. Make sure you have a good pcv setup and if you have the ability, run a venturi system off of the headers to relieve crankcase pressure. You can also drill holes in the valve covers and add breathers. (remove the valve covers)

A venturi system off the headers (IMO) is CRAP when you run mufflers....unless you're running a straight through muffler in your exhaust system the backpressure at everything other than WOT will not be negated by the flow....

I'd have to see a vaccum/boost gauge hooked up to the PCV system on a car to believe that this system works when you're running mufflers.

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
I will be doing the comp check Sat. I will let yall know the results I am shure they will be good the car was lady driven.

scootin95gts

Reaction score
can i do a comp check at home if so how can i do it? what do i need and what would be good comp for a 95 5.0

Downshift

Reaction score
scootin95gts said:
can i do a comp check at home if so how can i do it? what do i need and what would be good comp for a 95 5.0

Yes you can do it at home. Go to autozone and ask them for a compression tester, give them the deposit for it. You get all the money back when you bring it back so its free. It screws into the spark plug hole. Get a repair manual while your there, they are 20$ and are well worth it. I dont know the numbers off hand but its in there. And it will also tell you how to do a comp test step by step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online