Warm engine stall

Imperfect95

Reaction score
Hey everybody, have a 95 gt that is stalling after warm restart. Starts and runs good. When warm though if you turn it off then restart it, engine will start and as it settles into an idle just dies. You can keep it going by hitting the gas but the engine hesitates like it has a bad accelerator pump as if it had a carb-it does not. Im thinking what ever is causing the hesitation probably is causing the stalling. It will restart every time but then settles and dies. This condition clears up after a minute or 2 of using the gas to keep it running then runs normal including idle. In fact, gets great mileage and runs strong. This stalling occurs with ac on or off. No hydrocarbons in the coolant and it does not use coolant. Engine has full smog as I live in Kalifornia.
I have checked-
Fuel pressure = 30 with vacuum and 40 without
New Ford iac, tried disconnecting, makes no difference
New walbro 155 fuel pump
New egr valve
Have tried all the idle resets I could find and still dies, adjusted air bypass, set to hi idle speed and still died.
Set tps to proper range
Timing is at 12°
Cleaned mass air, even disconnected to see if made a difference and it didn't
Reset computer by disconnecting the battery
Sorry for long post, but trying to be thorough.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be as simple as my TPS harness problem last year. The harness was just old and after the car warmed up the tps would start to drift and show 4-7% throttle while just idling and it would have problems as well until I gave it some gas. I first thought it was the sensor as I found it by knocking on the top of it with a screwdriver handle and I could watch it drift on the holley hp software. I replaced the tps and it did the exact same thing. That time I grabbed the harness and it was about ready to fall off it was so loose.

Get the car warm and go and knock on the sensors you can see. If it does anything different see if messing with the harnesses does anything.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do a smoke test to look for vacuum leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Imperfect95

Reaction score
Block off front front of throttle body, blow smoke through vacuum line. In the past found leaking egr and throttle body, but did not change the situation with new parts. There is a hesitation when I restart with fully warm engine. When engine is restarted even if it idles, it hesitates. This last just minute or 2. Then engine seems stable and runs good

OP
OP
I

Imperfect95

Reaction score
Just a little update. What ever is causing this warm idle stalling/hesitation ends after 40 seconds. If I turn off the car when warm then turn off the engine, restart, wait 40 seconds it will accept the turning on the ac without stalling. The hesitation is also gone after that same 40 seconds.
Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online