Water Pump Upgrade

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
What's up everyone?

I haven't been on the forums much but i'm back with some questions because the modding never stops :headbang:. Anyways, I was researching about water pump upgrades and I stumbled across a few threads from the lightning guys/crown victoria guys who upgraded to "Navigator style" water pump. Apparently the impeller on the pump is bigger and uses a low friction bearing to save some horsepower. Do any of you guys run this style OEM Ford pump on your NPI long block or PI long block pre 2001? I would like to get more information on this because I was looking at water pump options. My GT needs a overhaul on the cooling system so this is going to be a spring/summer project. :eek:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting it looks like a direct fit for us. I picked up a Stewart a few years ago but I would have considered the Navi pump had I known.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im not 100% with the flow rate of the impeller type, but I examined pumps from a 5.4l compared to stock 4.6l and the impellers were in fact different. Such as one less impeller blade.... I would think the 5.4l would have a higher flow rate at lower rpm. All the water pumps bolt up but are different lengths, short/long, just use the correct offset pulley to keep belt in line. The low friction bearing is cool idea and ill be lurking for one! Cool find and thanks for sharing

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The triton v10 pump (2v) used the same gasket as the 4.6, so id love to see a write up on the 5.4 - if its the same or not....

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Im not 100% with the flow rate of the impeller type, but I examined pumps from a 5.4l compared to stock 4.6l and the impellers were in fact different. Such as one less impeller blade.... I would think the 5.4l would have a higher flow rate at lower rpm. All the water pumps bolt up but are different lengths, short/long, just use the correct offset pulley to keep belt in line. The low friction bearing is cool idea and ill be lurking for one! Cool find and thanks for sharing

Interesting it looks like a direct fit for us. I picked up a Stewart a few years ago but I would have considered the Navi pump had I known.

It all started with EMP Stewarts water pump, I read it in the SHM mustang book that is a great mod for your Mustang like you have Droptop just the price tag is a little high compared to the Navi pump. I wasn't even looking for Navi pump but some people chimed in as a alternative. It looks to be a direct bolt on for our long blocks since we have the long nose pumps, but I do not know anyone who tried it here yet, haha. One thing I can compare tho is that the SHM pump was designed for high RPM application for the occasional track duty/street racing, the Navi pump is a heavy duty pump for truck engine to keep things cool.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn that Stewart pump is expensive now. I think mine was $85 and the stock was $55 back then. Parts go up so fast once production years are over.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The "modular" family 4.6l, 5.4l, 6.8l, all share the same external locations for accessories. No difference in hole locations. Deck height being the difference

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Damn that Stewart pump is expensive now. I think mine was $85 and the stock was $55 back then. Parts go up so fast once production years are over.

Yep, everything goes up when the production years are over, sometimes I wish I didn't sit on parts when I had the option to get them.

The "modular" family 4.6l, 5.4l, 6.8l, all share the same external locations for accessories. No difference in hole locations. Deck height being the difference

I love that about the ford engine family.

Note: The stewarts EMP is going for 119.99 over at Summit Racing, the Navi Pump is going for 75 OEM on rock auto. Man I have a decision to make in a few months haha.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I had a stock 96 pully, swapped to the mezier pump and it works great...sitting on jack stands

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
I agree electric pump had its place but the Stewart pump is plug and play and I wanna say it takes less than 1HP to turn the pump.

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
^ my car is supercharged and uses an air to air intercooler in stop and go traffic about 180 , when cruising on the highway maybe 175 or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online