Waterpump life??

CCM Power

Reaction score
What is the average life of a waterpump? I think my waterpump is starting to leak a little and my 96 GT has 70,000 miles on it. I need to check it out a little better but it sure looks like its coming from behind the pulley. Already checked everthing else top to bottom and found nothing. I replace the intake manifold a month ago and thats solid too.

white98gt

Reaction score
yep, sounds like your water pump, since you said you checked everything else. mine stang has 120,000 miles & have yet had to change it. (hope i just didn't jinx myself!)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you replace the intake with an updated version? What you are describing is exactly what happens when the crossover cracks, take out your tstat and make sure you didn't tighten it too much. These waterpumps last a long time usually. I have a friend who has 257,000 miles on his 97 GT. He uses it strictly as a work car and everything is completely stock. Only things he changed was the IAC and had a tune up at like 150,000 miles. It could be the pump but i'd recheck the intake...it may not have been torqued properly etc.

jpajkos

Reaction score
+1 DropTop is right. Thats what happened to me when I found I was leaking coolant. Also make sure your gaskets aren't swelling and leaking.

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
I got home from work last night and gave everything a good look. Everything is nice and tight. Thermostat housing is good and the new intake is fine especially at the aluminum crossover. I pulled the serpentine belt off and took the waterpump pulley off and found a little coolant at the bottom of it. Its a slow leak now but Im going to fix it before it becomes a major problem. The only thing that threw me off was because of me replaceing the intake a month ago I was thinking maybe I didnt have something tight and had to recheck everything on it. I should have know that was ok though because it only started to leak about a week or two ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online