Ways to run cooler?

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
OK, my 96 GT runs a little hot in the summers here. on the temperature gauge the needle sits around the "M" or "A" on the "NORMAL". How can i help cool it down a bit?? im running a 192 degree (stock) thermostat, should i change it to 180? also i run a 50/50 mix of coolant/water. should i change it to 30/70 coolant/water?, will this help? can i run straight water?? what about a manual cooling fan switch so i can run the fans more often? HELP

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Flush and refill your coolant and add some Redline water wetter
it will bring down temps.
Also install a 180* thermostat too.

Whistler98

Reaction score
MoonlightGT said:
OK, my 96 GT runs a little hot in the summers here. on the temperature gauge the needle sits around the "M" or "A" on the "NORMAL". How can i help cool it down a bit?? im running a 192 degree (stock) thermostat, should i change it to 180? also i run a 50/50 mix of coolant/water. should i change it to 30/70 coolant/water?, will this help? can i run straight water?? what about a manual cooling fan switch so i can run the fans more often? HELP

I installed a 180 deg thermostat and mine doesn't go over the R on the "NORMAL". I can't remember before that where it was but it seems to run a bit cooler.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
get a fluidyne radiator. I have one in mine and the temps stay cool even at 110 degrees outside.

96gt226410

Reaction score
I run a 180 thermo and my car hardly gets above the "O" in NORMAL.

st4ng07

Reaction score
Yeah mine runs around the M or A in the summer if im not moving. What is the stock therm. 200?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
st4ng07 said:
Yeah mine runs around the M or A in the summer if im not moving. What is the stock therm. 200?

stock is 192,
180 is good to get but you need to have a handheld tuner to set the fans to come on earlier.
also the fluidyne radiator is a great investmest. Meziere water pump and the fan assembly from a 97 is better then the 96. and redline water wetter additive.

Britt GT

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my car. She runs cool when not in traffic... but as soon as she gets around other cars she gets hot again! (I of course have the 5.0L engine) Since my car has been in hibernation all winter, I haven't gotten to drive her much. Part of my "pre-hibernation" preparation was flushing the coolant system and adding water wetter to the coolant. Someone told me that my stock hood doesn't let enough air circulate in and out, and that getting an aftermarket hood (ram air, cowl induction) would help the airflow. I don't know how true that is... I had already planned on getting a new hood, so it really doesn't matter if that's true or not! For some reason I had never thought about a 180 thermostat... I might consider that before the heat of the summer kicks in!

OP
OP
MoonlightGT

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
well i have a 180 degree stat im my garage, i guess ill pop that in, as for the coolant mix, what ratio water/coolant should i run? i dont drive the car in the winter but its stored in my un-heated garage and i dont want it to freeze. I was thinking 70% water and 30% coolant with a bottle of water wetter??

97blackgt

Reaction score
if your having overheating problems better flush the radiator and make sure the cooling fans are working...a 180* thermostat is also a good idea too though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online