Weak headlight & no fog lights

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For reasons unknown, my driver side headlight is weak. Passenger side ok. But I also have lost my fog lights! Keep in mind , I Just replaced the alternator. Could this issue be caused by that?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good start, ttocs. Thanks!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jiggle the harness to the light and see if it changes. Check your fuses for your fog lights.
Is the fuse for the fog lights separate from the headlights? If so, do you know which fuse it is??
And is the fuse panel behind the driver side kick panel?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no I do not know and would not even bother with the manual as it takes longer to do that than it does to pull/check every fuse. When I suspect a fuse, I check them all

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no I do not know and would not even bother with the manual as it takes longer to do that than it does to pull/check every fuse. When I suspect a fuse, I check them all
Sounds like the prudent thing to do, thx!

badass98svt

Reaction score
Is the fuse for the fog lights separate from the headlights? If so, do you know which fuse it is??

A quick Google search would pull up a fuse diagram for you.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I keep wondering:
1. why one headlight works and the other is so dim? Wouldn’t they be on the same fuse?; and
2. Does the new 200-amp alternator have anything to do with it??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
1. why one headlight works and the other is so dim? Wouldn’t they be on the same fuse?; and
yes I thought we were looking to get the fog lights working with the fuse. They should have their own fuse.
not that I can imagine.

So do you think you know which fuse would be related to the fog lights? If so go check it, and if it were me I would take the 30 secs it takes to pull the rest of the fuses and check them. It amazingly easy to pick the wrong fuse and then you go check that one and spend the next few weeks checking everything else.

badass98svt

Reaction score

Ford is well known for using inadequate wiring. I'd check the 3 wires at the pigtail on the harness at the dim headlight.
I'm Assuming you have stockish bulbs and no HID/LED stuff correct?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ford is well known for using inadequate wiring. I'd check the 3 wires at the pigtail on the harness at the dim headlight.
I'm Assuming you have stockish bulbs and no HID/LED stuff correct?
Correct. I got the NAPA 9007(?) bright whites. Same I was using for the last 2 years before this happened.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ttocS,
All 15 fuses check fine and in tact. Jiggle test didn’t change anything. I need 10- and 15-amp fuses as backup, but what I nhave are also fine and in tact.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you check the wires/harness plug?
Yes sir, just did via “the jiggle test”and visual inspection.

I doubt it, but could it be the actual headlight housing itself? It’s an aftermarket set.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just for shits/giggles try swapping the left/right bulbs and see if the problem moves or stays the same. We have to start with the simple stuff and its unlikely that it is the bulb, but it could be and this test only takes a couple of mins.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just for shits/giggles try swapping the left/right bulbs and see if the problem moves or stays the same. We have to start with the simple stuff and its unlikely that it is the bulb, but it could be and this test only takes a couple of mins.
Not a bad idea at all. Will do!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it will also allow you to clean out the connections at the harnesses when you plug/unplug them. Give them a close look over make sure you do not see any corrosion or signs that it has got hot/melted.

Maximum95

Reaction score
When I bought my '95, the headlight switch and pigtail were melted. It might be worth popping off the gauge bezel and taking a look there.

As far as the weak headlight, try swapping them as mentioned above. If the issue persists, I'm thinking use a DMM to test power and ground across the headlight plug terminals, and then test between the plug and battery. See if you get a strange reading, that would help determine which side of the circuit has an issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would suspect the switch first if it were both lights but with it only being one it is unlikely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.