Weak headlight & no fog lights

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I should have said check the headlight switch in regards to the foglights not working.
Fog lights are on a separate toggle switch located on the center console.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am aware. I have the same switch. The foglight switch power is supplied through the main headlight switch.
aah… I (obviously) did not know that but thank you for the info. So do I need to pull the dash bezel to inspect the headlight switch?

Maximum95

Reaction score
aah… I (obviously) did not know that but thank you for the info. So do I need to pull the dash bezel to inspect the headlight switch?

Yeah just pop the headlight knob off and take out the bezel. After that the headlight switch just has two screws. I've been through two headlight switches on my car because the connector was melted from a short in the fog light switch circuit. Unplug the headlight switch and look at the terminals on both the switch and connector. I can't say for sure that's where your problem lies but it's easy enough to check, and from what I understand I'm not the only one to have that problem.

badass98svt

Reaction score

I think I mentioned to you before, a Ford EVTM book would be fantastic to have on hand. It has all the info you need in it.
EVTM
Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
They are official Ford manuals.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just buy a flashlight aim ot out the window
Just kidding
that would not be safe at all. Get one of those lights you strap on your head so you keep your hands free.

In all seriousness this one confuses me with the one headlight dimmer. Do you have a volt meter you can stick on that light to see what the voltage is?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that would not be safe at all. Get one of those lights you strap on your head so you keep your hands free.

In all seriousness this one confuses me with the one headlight dimmer. Do you have a volt meter you can stick on that light to see what the voltage is?
Yes, I have a voltmeter. I don’t know how to use it to test the wires on the headlight bulbs pigtail. It has 3 wires: green, black and red. Don’t know what to set voltmeter at? Touch red needle to each wire separately with black needle (where)?image.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
set the meter one click to the right to DCV. Turn the lights on and poke the black lead to the black wire and the red lead to I think the green but it might be red. You do not need to worry about being shocked or messing anything up as long as you do not short the two leads together.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Right, just as @ttocs said, DCV. Unplug the headlight bulb and test to see if you're getting voltage at the connector.
set the meter one click to the right to DCV. Turn the lights on and poke the black lead to the black wire and the red lead to I think the green but it might be red. You do not need to worry about being shocked or messing anything up as long as you do not short the two leads together.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I followed your instructions, ttocS, and got numbers jumping all over the place! I did notice that the longer I held the pins in place, the numbers went down.

With motor running and lights on:
Black + Green 14’s
Black +Red 74, 68, all over the place!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
one will show 14ish volts with low beams, and the other should show 14 on high beams. The fact you have 14 volts there assuming it was on low beams should mean there is a problem with the bulb or the connection to it. Look down in the harness and make sure the contacts all look the same and that they have not got hot/moved

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They all (3) look good as far as I can tell

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t taken the headlight switch/dash bezel out yet to check the switch …..Tomorrow. It’s Happy Hour time here on The Left Coast!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Could this be the culprit? It’s the headlight switch connector. Only looks like superficial cracks in the plastic but maybe that’s enough??
image.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
“So you’re sayin’ it’s a possibility!”? LOL

Now, the next obvious question is: Difficultly level?

What’s involved with swapping it out? Remove gauge cluster?; Remove old (at a specific junction or is there another connector that makes it relatively simple?); or splice in new? And, if this IS the culprit, will it likely also solve the “no fog lights “ issue?

Thanks!! :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it doesn't really make any sense that you have one light not as bright as the other, but it could be the source of the fog light problem. On the other hand electrons do what electrons do and they can leave you scratching your head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online