Weapon confiscation?

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by Leo 5.0, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

Being a Vet I find this horrid.
    Being an American, I find this cause for concern.

I have been watching the news, reading, anything I can do to stay informed on the matter, and after NY, it seems Connecticut is a throwing stone away from all out confiscation...

Does this bother anyone else?
    I look back and wonder what happened....
    I own plenty of weapons. The first were personal security, I bought more when the gun control started being an issue.
    I own even more for the day someone comes to take them.

Not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist or gun nut or crazed anarchist.

But I truly feel this is cause for some alarm.

Any other thoughts?

2. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

I'm with you too.
    let them confiscate the guns in the bleeding heart liberal states then watch the crime skyrocket. Only the outlaws will have guns.
    It's obvious that the law makers don't give a damn about the constitution. Not to mention the history when a people give up their guns.
    Our guns prevented the Japenese from invading during WW2.
    Our guns is what prevents this country from becoming a dictatorship.

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Just throwing this out there...
    Canada functions just fine without guns.

The only people I know that actually own a gun are those who hunt.

4. DeepList

DeepList Administrator Staff Member SN95 Supporter

Crime rates will absolutely increase. Only the criminals in these liberal cities, like New York, will feel safer knowing that all these horrible people-killing guns will be taken off the streets.... puh-lease. We all know, the police in New York have nothing better to do but knock on (law abiding) firearm owner's doors all day and send garbage in the mail. Don’t worry though! Obama said no one is coming to take your guns! He wouldn’t lie to us, right? "If you like your rifle, you can keep it." Or.... something like that. I'm glad I don't live there. Reading about New York is like reading about some foreign communist country, like Cuba.

5. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

I've always found you guy's system to be interesting 94.

I won't start up a USA vs Canada thing, it's silly.
    But perhaps it's just hardwired into us. Granted I don't support mass killings, I don't even hunt.

I do feel the right to protect myself and those I care about.
    I deployed numerous times, I've been shot, and in a vehicle that blew up.
    If anything, I feel I have EARNED the right to own weapons.
    Not saying I'm better than any other American, I do not feel that at all.

But I've seen death, I've dealt with loss, and I would not want to be on the other end of a loaded barrel.

And my biggest concern is if it actually goes that far, and nothing happens, how long until the whole country follows suit?

Our constitution was made to defend us, the people, from the very government that replaced the British.
    So that if the US government got too strong, we would have rights, so that it would not happen again.

Personally, I feel as if the current administration is slowly trying to take those rights for an all out takeover.
    And no matter what happens, My COUNTRY comes first, not my government.
    Even if that will someday brand me a traitor.

6. Orange 94

That's exactly it.

I never said there's anything wrong with the US's beliefs. We're just different, which is fine.

Being a Canadian, I've never felt the need or even consider having a fire arm to protect myself. Nor do I plan on owning a firearm unless I take up hunting.

7. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

I agree with your mentality 100%
    If I were Canadian I probably would feel the same.

Unfortunately it's a flaw on our end.
    We established everyone could own one. That's fine.
    But you can't change the human condition. That's just how things go. There will always be crime, we are indeed human.

It is because I accept that flaw I understand that it is a fair precaution.
    Just because I obey the law, doesn't mean joe snuffy does.
    And if joe snuffy feels he needs my 40 inch tv, well he will try.
    That's where my weapons come in.

I am glad for the most part I just clean and maintain them.
    Or go out and make sure I don't get rusty.

And if I never have to use them for their purpose, that's good too.

But unfortunately, it's more of a have it and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it.
    But that is my opinion.

8. DeepList

Scenario:
    20 years from now, you're in bed with your wife asleep and the kids are asleep in their rooms as well. You're awoke to burglars in your home who are in the process of initiating a home invasion. Would you THEN consider having a firearm in your possession so you could avoid the horror of them possibly killing your family and ransacking your house?

Not trying to start anything... just saying... it happens. Having a handgun next to your bed could have possibly avoided this hypothetical catastrophe, even in Canada.

9. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

Oh, a little addition to the US system.

I agree with a fair degree of control.

But I may be uninformed in my opinion.

I think violent criminals should not have access, honestly will that stop them, no...
    Then again, on a slight note of sympathy, it's a hard area to manage.

For example.
    John USA is a fine upstanding guy. Own's weapons, goes to church, or whatever you will consider an UPSTANDING citizen.
    He also tends to avoid confrontation. After many many years of bottling things in, John goes off, and let's say lands a violent, NON GUN RELATED Felony.

Fast forward 5 years.
    John has done his time, his name is ruined, but he has had appropriate help, and can now successfully manage his anger. He has a job, does everything he is supposed to.

Fast forward another 5 years.
    John is still doing great, he's done with the system. Clean bill of health, and also now helps other manage their passive aggressive issues.
    He really is a fine man who made a mistake. No one was killed, etc. But still it was a violent crime.
    John no longer hunts...can't go to his gun club, can't even own a weapon. But for all intensive purposes(in this example) He really is a good person.

The point here, is it isn't always as easy as black and white.
    Some people do things...they learn and it never happens again.
    And some don't.
    But slamming down the whole group is a bit disheartening to our "Johns" because it says no matter what, there is no second chances.

Now also we know that my example doesn't happen all of the time..I would be wrong to say often as I don't honestly know any stats.

But hopefully you can see what I am saying.

So gun control or not, there are so many variables at work it is hard to do it right.
    So I suppose where I was going is Confiscation is radical...too radical. But control itself is a very touchy business.
    And as we see in applied state...doesn't really even work in the first place. Because well bottom line, a person who wants a firearm, will get one, legally or other.

But I was just saying I do feel a bit for lawmakers who don't want to go to extremes, I can not even imagine how difficult it must be. But at the same time, this radical move will only lead to issues, and confiscation will most likely lead to death.

10. Orange 94

Truthfully, probably not.
    I've never heard of burglaries while the owners were home. Just doesn't seem to happen here.

If it were to happen, I feel if you produced a fire arm it could result in a worse situation. If I have a gun, they would likely have one too. They would probably be more likely to actually use it since they have nothing to lose, they're already committing the crime.

If I was ever put in a situation where I was being robbed, let them have what they want. Get away from the situation and let police and insurance deal with it. Not worth a life.

Another factor is I wouldn't want a firearm around children. Just not a good combo imo. Yes you can have stuff locked up, but that kind of defeats the purpose if its an emergency like your scenario. I would instead feel safer living in a good neighborhood with a good alarm.

11. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

For 94, I've looked at the stats, you guys tend to have less violent crimes, and crime in general.
    But that is due to numerous factors.

But I will say that rather than disagree with your or his scenario, both are plausible and make sense to you both.

haha Like I've always said, F*cking Canada.:thumbsup:
    nothing but love to you guys though. You all seem so laid back and into your own affairs. I don't think I could stomach to live there though...just seems cold.

12. chaos254

chaos254 New Member

You guys must be lucky and not have so many nut cases. Maybe we could send some of ours up north lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

13. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

I think it is a fair trade, they sent Justin Bieber down here.

lol

14. Orange 94

No no no!!!!
    You guys made a beat on the US-Canada game. We won fair and square, he's 100% your problem! :p

15. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

I'll keep this simple. I had a career in corrections a county facility that housed Feds and I.C.E. Numerous threats have been made to me and my family by individuals capable of commiting such crimes. A inmate once threatened to put my kid in a microwave and make me watch. The few weapons I have are piece of mind when I cross paths with those individuals or anyone who tries to break in my residence. As soon as I hear the first bump in the night I'm reaching for a weapon. I've taken all proper classes and earned my class A concealed carry. I don't see it ending well for any state that tries to take away fire arms.

16. Above118

Above118 Active Member

There is only ONE thing that will stop a "bad guy" with a gun....a "good guy" with a gun.

They can have my firearms,bullets 1st.

17. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

I don't disagree.

But I was just making that .01 percent example.
    The issue with our penal system in my opinion is we send in small fries who then come out trying to run with the big boys.
    I knew a guy who did small things..granted he was still a crook.
    He did his 5 got out and went right back in for tackling the bigger jobs...

But then again, there are those who are just in that mindset.
    I was merely trying to illustrate not all 100% are true lifetime offenders.

18. Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0 Active Member

You forgot the fine print.
    LOL win or lose we send him back!

19. WhiteStallion94

WhiteStallion94 Well-Known Member

Just on a whim, I threw "Connecticut gun confiscation" into Google and the only results were from whack ass right winger sites, conspiracy theory sites and an Examiner article reporting on the blogger who started the whole ruckus.

Kinda what I figured.

Just for the record, Connecticut's assault weapon's ban is not ex post facto. Only firearms meeting the definitions and purchased after a certain date are technically illegal. The rest are grandfathered in, but must be registered. This worry of gun confiscation is nothing more than paranoia.

BTW, you're still able to own handguns and shotguns, so your ability to defend yourself and/or your family is not threatened, unless you happen to have some fantasy of a sustained firefight with your tacticool AR.

20. DeepList

[MENTION=8121]WhiteStallion94[/MENTION], so what's your take on the New York situation and the 5 round limit, etc?