Weighed my vert and track update, need opinions.

Hicks

Reaction score
Nacho said:
^^ thanks man. the cam is great, I get a lot of compliments on the sound, and it's running awesome as well. a custom cam is always the way to go, especially for your stroker!

about the weight reductions, there's so much you can do. I'll give you a brief list.

1. remove dogbone (under the differential pumpkin)
2. rear seat delete
3. gut the trunk
4. remove door/rear panel foam
5. remove front sway bar (about 22lbs)
6. get rid of all your egr/smog crap
7. get some racing wheels

Those are the major ones that I've done. I'm not sure if the coupes have the weights on the rear fender, check it out.

I'd be happy with a custom cam if pops wouldnt have went out and got one without studien about it. I was lucky enough to get him to switch to a e303
and i tried for an X cam but noooooo
stubern dad goes *YOU don't need a dragster*
and yet... hes wanting to get afr185cc heads...

He makes me mad right now... in alot of ways
Screwing up my car is one of them, which im sure he will do plenty more of it
I'll get my own cam when the cars done and unload 10-20 more hp or something i dont know

Btw, what in the world is a dog bone? lol... and where is the sway panel?

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish my dad would interact more with my hobby, but he's not much of a car guy. I'm trying to get my son and daughter into racing. My son is barely 1 1/2 and my daughter is 4. I get butterflies when my daughter says those magic words, "Daddy, I want to go race!" 8) My boy better be the same way.

The dog bone is a piece of metal shaped like a dog bone screwed on the underside of the differential 'pumpkin'. Lift the car, you can't miss it. I don't know what you meant with sway panel, I meant front sway bar. If you meant the panels, inside the door and rear panels, there's some foam used for sound deadening. I took that crap off.

Hicks

Reaction score
Nacho said:
Sometimes I wish my dad would interact more with my hobby, but he's not much of a car guy. I'm trying to get my son and daughter into racing. My son is barely 1 1/2 and my daughter is 4. I get butterflies when my daughter says those magic words, "Daddy, I want to go race!" 8) My boy better be the same way.

The dog bone is a piece of metal shaped like a dog bone screwed on the underside of the differential 'pumpkin'. Lift the car, you can't miss it. I don't know what you meant with sway panel, I meant front sway bar. If you meant the panels, inside the door and rear panels, there's some foam used for sound deadening. I took that crap off.

ic
yea i meant sway bar lol...
and im still lost... Pumpkin?? haha
is it by the front tire or something?

Downshift

Reaction score
The rear end. Where the gears and diff are. Look right in between both rear tires. Thats the "Pumpkin"

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
The rear end. Where the gears and diff are. Look right in between both rear tires. Thats the "Pumpkin"

+1

G

GREG@SN95

5.0wned said:
GREG@SN95 said:
5.0wned said:

AKA the banjo

Haha never heard it called that.
lol...

Banjo is old school shit... A guy at work enlightened me on that little piece of knowledge...

He does detail work on cars... In his early 60s maybe... Listens to oldies with the volume all the way up, and some how you can still hear him singing... It sounds very bad... I take it he used to be into them 'ol '40 n '50 hotrods...

Really cool guy...

Adam

Reaction score
Have you removed from and rear bumper supports or the door bars? I know a guy with a 96 Vert and it is stripped to the max and still weighs 3235 with him in it (probably 175lbs) Yours just seems extremely light for what you have dome for weight reduction.....

Here is a nice thread with pics and what things weigh. Not sure how much stuff applies to a 5.0 car but they are very similar.

http://modularmisfits.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hicks

Reaction score
Adam said:
Have you removed from and rear bumper supports or the door bars? I know a guy with a 96 Vert and it is stripped to the max and still weighs 3235 with him in it (probably 175lbs) Yours just seems extremely light for what you have dome for weight reduction.....

Here is a nice thread with pics and what things weigh. Not sure how much stuff applies to a 5.0 car but they are very similar.

http://modularmisfits.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

goood post :)

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
that's one long ass thread. I'll be sure to save it. Keep in mind that my car's weight is WITHOUT me.

Adam

Reaction score
Nacho said:
that's one long ass thread. I'll be sure to save it. Keep in mind that my car's weight is WITHOUT me.

Yes it is. My friend Jeff Stafford (96SOHC) started that thread in 05... ;)

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
I'll use this thread to write down the things I'll be removing thanks to that list your buddy posted.
1. quad shocks and frame rail brackets 8 lbs
2. washer bottle 1.5 lbs. empty, 8 lbs full
3. front bumper support 17 lbs (not sure on this one yet)
4. rear Bumper support brackets 6 lbs
5. wing 9 lbs (race nights only)
6. all seat belts 10 lbs(will have harnesses up front and rear seat delete)
7. floor mats 7 lbs (race night only)
8. tubular k-member with coil overs approx. svg. 80 lbs
9. carpet jut pudding 9 lbs
10. left and right firewall blanket 6 lbs
11. evap cannister 5 lbs
12. rear bumper support 25 lbs (not sure yet)

Damn!

Downshift

Reaction score
Since you seem to be somewhat into weight reduction and what not do you or anyone happen to know how much the AC system on our cars weigh? Mine doesnt work and even though it gets above 100 for half the summer I am debating on ditching it or fixing it.

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
Been awhile...lost 30 pounds off the nose today! The compressor weighs 15, and the rest weighs 15 as well.

There you go.

Hicks

Reaction score
Dang.... have fun losing that weight lol

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
Gee, thank Hicks for that supportive attitude. :drunk:

Hicks

Reaction score
Nacho said:
Gee, thank Hicks for that supportive attitude. :drunk:

lol, no problem.

That list you made up is liek what? 100 pounds? or somewhere close?
That realy isnt bad at all seeing as on a track it could pick you up a quarter? or a hafe? of a second?

The only thing i realy have an issue with is just losing some stuff that i actualy need. But then again, it's all in what you wanna do with the car i gues.

OP
OP
N

Nacho

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I'm not too crazy about the bumper supports but all that other crap, I can do without.

GDawg

Reaction score
I'm not pulling all that out of my car unless it's a "trailer car"....

Period. :comando:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online