Weird device connected to battery? Can anyone identify

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my Mustang a month ago and it’s been running fine. Two weeks ago when the weather started getting colder the battery drained. The next day it started up fine. Now, yesterday, my battery drained again, making the same clicking noise. Later in the day I tried to start it and it was completely drained. Got it jumped but again today it was drained. Called out AAA and they noticed there was an electrical arc from the negative terminal, which they said meant there was a power draw of some kind. My first thought was this object I found connected to the battery. I plan to uninstall it, but does anyone know what it might do and if it’s essential to the car starting?

Attachments

• 86622489-A703-4C74-9AF3-0AA478DBEE8A.jpeg
    86622489-A703-4C74-9AF3-0AA478DBEE8A.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 7EFE06E4-BB35-48F6-9907-4CD3FE8ACDDB.jpeg
    7EFE06E4-BB35-48F6-9907-4CD3FE8ACDDB.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 60

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure why you would run eq power wiring up to the battery. Cut the wire tie off of the plastic module and get a better look at it. Could be a battery tender or something is my guess.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes there is a fuse inline on the power wire to protect the power wire, but what it is powering, dunno.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I think it’s a gps of some sort. Stupidly took the dealerships option and bought an anti theft tracker, I was told it would be hidden somewhere in the car, not plugged into the battery. I’m going to remove it and see if it’s causing the issue, maybe try to hook it up to a separate battery since I paid for it already or get a refund if I can.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can just pull the fuse out and see if it stops it. The mach amps are known to cause dead batteries and no body removes the one under the dash even if they remove everything else. It could very well be a gps, or a battery tender to keep it charged if it has had this issue

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if it is a gps somewhere on the outside there should be some kind of FCC#/warning. Did they give you the info on the tracker?

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
Well, it’s not that device causing the power draw. I guess I’m back to looking.

badass98svt

Reaction score
So what was the device????
Is it the Mach amps causing the draw?

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
So what was the device????
Is it the Mach amps causing the draw?
It was the dealer installed gps tracker. For now I’ve got it removed and the negative terminal is still sparking. I don’t have the Mach sound system installed in my car as far as I can tell… isn’t that an optional extra? Not sure where to go from here, I don’t have a multimeter and have it going to the shop in a week, so I might just have to go without driving it for a while.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It was the dealer installed gps tracker. For now I’ve got it removed and the negative terminal is still sparking. I don’t have the Mach sound system installed in my car as far as I can tell… isn’t that an optional extra? Not sure where to go from here, I don’t have a multimeter and have it going to the shop in a week, so I might just have to go without driving it for a while.
negative is sparking? Look under the radio on top of the console and see if the mach/premium sound amp is still there. If you pull the carpet on the side of the console back a little on the drivers side you should be able to see it.

To find the draw you need to disconnect the battery, then hook up an amp meter. You will see the current draw on the screen, then you just start pulling fuses one at a time till you see the draw drop. Takes about 10 mins and from there you can isolate what circuits are on that fuse and figure out which one specifically is bad.

triggersnob

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my Mustang a month ago and it’s been running fine. Two weeks ago when the weather started getting colder the battery drained. The next day it started up fine. Now, yesterday, my battery drained again, making the same clicking noise. Later in the day I tried to start it and it was completely drained. Got it jumped but again today it was drained. Called out AAA and they noticed there was an electrical arc from the negative terminal, which they said meant there was a power draw of some kind. My first thought was this object I found connected to the battery. I plan to uninstall it, but does anyone know what it might do and if it’s essential to the car starting?
Looks like a power cable for a car alarm or car stereo, that's a fusible link, what there running off of it that I can't tell u, pull the fuse and see if your radio still works, or if the car has an aftermarket alarm test it once the fuse is pulled, I would definitely start there. Pull the fuse if nothing changes remove it, or follow the wire and see where she goes!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looks like a power cable for a car alarm or car stereo, that's a fusible link, what there running off of it that I can't tell u, pull the fuse and see if your radio still works, or if the car has an aftermarket alarm test it once the fuse is pulled, I would definitely start there. Pull the fuse if nothing changes remove it, or follow the wire and see where she goes!
FYI a fusable link is just a thinner piece of wire, what we see above is a regular fuse holder

triggersnob

Reaction score
FYI a fusable link is just a thinner piece of wire, what we see above is a regular fuse holder
Man every time I say something someone has to correct me, 35 yra of experience lol,,, key word is fuse... but what do I know, I'm bailing off this platform, when I ask a question I get laughed at. Try to help get corrected whatever yall have a great day.

07GtS197

Reaction score
You got corrected because you were wrong. There’s nothing wrong with correcting disinformation, otherwise that’s how disinformation spreads. Also this is a public forum, you won’t get along with everyone. Other than that, no one has laughed at you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Man every time I say something someone has to correct me, 35 yra of experience lol,,, key word is fuse... but what do I know, I'm bailing off this platform, when I ask a question I get laughed at. Try to help get corrected whatever yall have a great day.
Please understand that was not me laughing and pointing, I was was just trying to educate so that the next time you came across one you would know. We will might give a little hell along with anything we teach but its never meant in a bad way. Looking at the posts you have responded to I am not sure who offended you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online