Weird headlights with new halogen bulbs

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Hi I've just changed the high low bulb in my sn95 for some ebay bulbs. I went for 80/100W rather than the standard ones. Probably what's wrong but anyway:-

when I turn my lights on low, one element in my bulbs lights up (quite bright) but the high beam light comes on, on my dash. When I flash my lights or turn high beam on, both elements in the bulb light up but really dim!

I'm thinking that these bulbs are drawing too much current, anyone have any opinions on this please?

Thanks in advance, Mart.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have had hid's now for so long I can't remember what the standard power ratings are. Have you inspected the wiring for damage or tried a volt meter to see what it says?

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
No, but when I refitted the original bulbs they worked as they should.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
I would love to change them for smoked lenses but I've heard loads about the single Units needed the panel behind butchering to make em fit. If I swap for smoked lenses my dull bulbs will be even worse.

Sprayed Coupe

Reaction score
I also have hids in my car and excursion, but 80/100 is way to much draw for the factory harness. If I remember right normal is o the 40/60 range and I have seen the xenon bulbs melt the harness and they are only slightly higher than stock spec. Not sure what you paid for the bulbs but the last Sylvania silver stars I bought were 70 for the pair and the hid kits I put on the X (head and fog) were only 135 together. Also from eBay. Hids are the way to go imo just for the superior lighting they produce.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Wow, no these were really cheap, Chinese things.

Im in the UK, and I think that by law now, if I have Hids I'm meant to have headlight washers, not sure if that is just on cars with Hids from the factory though?

JKady

Reaction score
If you want bright bulbs get some Silverstar Ultras. If the problem is there with the mystery eBay bulbs and at no other time, the bulbs are the problem. Dropping in higher wattage bulbs puts extra load on your electrical system and at best you'll blow fuses, more likely you'll burn up the headlight plugs and wiring. The last pair I bought were 50 bucks at schmucks. They can be had as cheap as 30 on amazon.com. I'm very anti-drop in HID kit for lots of reasons but that's a whole other topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online