Weird sound/tires won't spin

amf201091

Reaction score
So my 98' gt has been making this noise when I accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd only. It sounds as if something is scrapping directly underneath the transmission and I can feel it vibrate in the shifter. I've also noticed the car won't break the tires loose, even if i gun it and turn it sharp to the left or right. It's like the tires aren't getting the power/spinning like they should which is weird cause the car seems to be running just fine. I jacked the car up and looked around the drive shaft and transmission area and nothing sticks out.. I thought it might have been the emergency brake cable since I've read from a few posts on here that the cable will sometimes drop down and rub against the driveshaft but that's doesn't seem to be the case here.The only lead I have is a bad 02 sensor (CEL is on) I'm about to say eff it and take it somewhere. I've changed the tranny fluid in it about a year ago. I'm tempted to just keep running it until "something" fails lol. Maybe the emergency brake cable has seized and I'm just not aware?

Last edited:
OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score
It has a bbk adjustable firewall clutch cable... I just replaced the diff fluid in order to combat the sound that I'm hearing. I haven't checked the trans level yet (wish they had a dip stick for it).

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A dipstick would make it more simple! But you gotta get under the car, look for the trans fluid drain plug. Notice another same looking plug above it. Remove that plug and use your pinky to feel for fluids or add fluids untill it weeps out the hole.

OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score
Trans fluid was good and full. I went ahead and replaced the bad 02 sensor. I have an autox event this weekend so I'll update if that somehow solved the issue.

OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score
After replacing the 02 sensor, my CEL came back and was throwing P420 code (something with cats). My car is catless so I'm guessing thats probably why. I'm looking into getting an 02 sensor eliminator in the near future.

As far as not being able to get the tires to break loose, I realized it was because of the throttle cable. It had about an inch of slack in the cable (accelerator pedal was way loose) so I put some zipties on it and the car will deff get sideways through first and second. Guessing the noise I'm hearing is maybe the exhaust is a little loose and is rubbing along driveshaft somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010