Welding exhaust pipe without welder

Mike1261

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a 1/4 Wave Resonator tube for my 03 GT to eliminate exhaust drone.

It needs to be T'd into my exhaust, but my welder is at a friend's house who's out of town and I don't want to pay for welding.

Has anyone come across some nature of exhaust cement/epoxy/something that would be solid enough to T into the exhaust with?

I know I can clamp the rest of what I'm doing but getting that T in there is a challenge...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you have a torch, you could braze it.

Maybe you could cut everything out the way you want it and take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded up?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
man exhaust shops are all scared now days wont touch anything without cats.... idk where all these youtubers are finding shops that will delete stuff for them and are cool with it being posted online .....lol

lutter94

Reaction score
I thought the rule was they can't remove it? That's the law breaking part. If you drive there open headers, they don't have to install cats.

OP
OP
M

Mike1261

Reaction score
In 2004 I had the cat removed from my Camaro by a ghetto little muffler shop that has its car lifts outside. I'm not sure if they would still do it but I suspect they would.

I had new mufflers put on at a small hole in the wall custom exhaust shop last week, both mufflers for $100 which is $30-165 less than every other shop in the state quoted me (yes, State. I was so dismayed by all the $200 quotes that I called around everywhere from rural towns near Tallahassee to Hispanic shops in Miami in total shock that it wasn't like $30 per muffler for a straight swap with no pipe bending or anything). Anyway, the guy I found seems like the kinda guy that would cut cats off for me lol. He certainly wouldn't care if I already had it done.

I'm in Florida. No emissions or safety testing here at all, but shops are still wary of performing the removal.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I swear Naples is terrible in that regard. There are only a handful of muffler shops and all of them charge an arm and a leg. This is not the place to have a performance car that needs any work. I remember there used to be a few mustang shops in town but they all shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mike1261

Reaction score
I swear Naples is terrible in that regard.

I could see that. I'm in Orlando, moved back a year ago after leaving in 2007. With the move away from muscle cars and the progression of online shopping, I'm finding that it's much harder to do anything locally than it used to be. All the machine shops and speed shops I used to use are gone and I'm finding myself both shocked at prices of stuff, lack of availability of stuff, and struggling to know who to trust to get work done.

I visited American Motorsports earlier this year and the place was so quiet. It actually depressed me a little lol.

CRE Machine used to do all my engine work and they're gone.

Blue Moon Motorsports in Longwood did my roll cages and they're gone.

I recognize some names still around, mostly Mustang shops that I'd heard of but wasn't familiar with because I was a Camaro guy.

I imagine Naples is not the best place to be for performance stuff lol.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
When I was in Washington, If it left the shop it had to have Cats, be exempt by law, or not be registered. I'm gonna stay mum about my Georgia experience so far lol small town

OP
OP
M

Mike1261

Reaction score
When I was in Washington

State, or DC?

Either way both are screwy lol. The whole west coast is F'd with their laws. And Washington State is one of the pioneers of retarded gun laws. The whole west coast is ridiculous about environmental laws too.

And DC is DC.

I imagine in GA you'd find plenty of places to get whatever you want done. Here in the South we don't care much about them new fandangled laws :-D

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
WA state lol ... they were weird. I could pay $150 for a waiver if the repair for the cause of failure was too expensive. So technically you could take your o/r pipe mustang to a shop and get a quote to get cats installed and you will bust that number (its was low like 400 or 600). That quote usually cost like $90 plus the $150 waiver. I never did try that route and I am sure that there were limitation. In the end, they just wanted their money thats why they are the green party lol

OP
OP
M

Mike1261

Reaction score

I lived in Canada from 09 to 2018, including Vancouver and Toronto. I know all about these stupid emissions testing laws and their waivers and "repairs cost too much so I don't have to do it" stuff. It's all a big Feel Good money grab scam lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
i know someone up in canada that last week got a letter saying someone reported his car for excessive smoke and he had 60 days to go get it inspected. It didn't say a cop or official reported him, just that someone did....

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I thought the rule was they can't remove it? That's the law breaking part. If you drive there open headers, they don't have to install cats.
Technically its federal law. So removing functioning smog equipment is a federal issue. But it comes down to the counties to inspect and enforce it.

I know of a couple shops around here that unless it has cats it needs to show up and leave on a trailer.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it’s the only good thing I can say about living in this shitty hick Kentucky commonwealth. They don’t care around here. No emissions, no checks, no fawks to be given.

Most of the shops around me are backwoods backstreet racers so they know what’s up!!!! [emoji38]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess it’s the only good thing I can say about living in this shitty hick Kentucky commonwealth. They don’t care around here. No emissions, no checks, no fawks to be given.

Most of the shops around me are backwoods backstreet racers so they know what’s up!!!! [emoji38]

This is one of the few times that indiana has a +1 over my former arizona home.

BigBore96

Reaction score
This is one of the few times that indiana has a +1 over my former arizona home.
I must be in the wrong part of Indiana for backwoods street racers. The lack emissions is great tho. We used to get a P.O. box outside of Phoenix for our cars to get around a lot the emissions crap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I must be in the wrong part of Indiana for backwoods street racers. The lack emissions is great tho. We used to get a P.O. box outside of Phoenix for our cars to get around a lot the emissions crap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What part of Indiana are you in??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online