Well I'm an Idiot, Need Help

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I honestly cannot believe I did this but I lost my lug nut key when I took me rear wheels off to install my spacers. I suppose I got too eager and may have left it on when I went for a quick test ride down my street, that's the only explanation I can think of as i've searched my Mustang from top to bottom. Naturally this isn't a huge deal, I reused my factory lugs that came on my car with the 16" Alloys. I went to a big tire chain in my city and they cannot do anything. There's very little room between the lug and the wheel, I used a thin wall socket to install them. The tire store said there would be a considerable amount of damage to the wheel if they attempted to remove it.

I've got in touch with the Ford dealer who has a master set, they cannot guarantee they will have one that will fit. I'm dropping the car there overnight so they can check it out tomorrow. Now, if worse comes to worse, what do I do? I assume my locking lug has a 'code' and it's not as easy as ordering a replacement, or is it? My jack/spare area doesn't have any paperwork stating a code of any kind.

I wouldn't normally be in such a panic to get this resolve as i've got two other cars but I just installed my spacers and i'm a little concerned with driving shop to shop with out the ability to pull my wheels and retorque.

Any ideas?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Is it a factory? I used a aftermarket once lost the key.. I hammered a socket on and remove it that way. . It damaged the socket by the time I was done

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

RichV

Reaction score
Your setup should have a code.

Usually with the paperwork of the vehicle, I had to find mine with a 89 Saleen I had, and my 85 SVO has a code as well. Mine was a yellow/gold slip with the #, I think it was a McGard brand.

twovalveterror

Reaction score
When I lost mine I chiseled them off. I put one scratch in my wheels, but I guess I had that coming. I was in a hurry.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Turbo socket time! Get a set of twist sockets off your snap on guy. That's the only thing I could use to get mine off. I bought it with all the lugs having retarded aftermarket key lugs. Hammered on a turbo socket and changed them all out for gorilla lugs one at a time. It's a pain in the ass but it works. The turbo sockets are made by blue point and they are relatively thin walled

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Is it a factory? I used a aftermarket once lost the key.. I hammered a socket on and remove it that way. . It damaged the socket by the time I was done

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

They're the stock lugs.

Your setup should have a code.

Usually with the paperwork of the vehicle, I had to find mine with a 89 Saleen I had, and my 85 SVO has a code as well. Mine was a yellow/gold slip with the #, I think it was a McGard brand.

I dont have any paperwork with the spare or in the glovebox.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will either attempt to drill them with a drill bit or hammer a socket on and use an impact.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you use wheel locks. paint that mofo hunters orange/lime green or something other then that flat black color they always are. Same reason why I will not buy black handled tools just too easy to loose them by not seeing them.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get an impact socket, 19mm I believe. Hammer it over the lug. Remove lug and replace.
If it's not 19, go one size smaller than the one that barley fits over.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you have access to a welder? If so carefully wed on a nut and then you should be able to back it out.

joekd

Reaction score
Why does everyone always recommend destroying a socket to remove them when they sell the correct tool to remove them without any damage?

Get a lug remover kit, doesn't have to be snap on, they even sell them at sears

Follow instructions, done in minutes without any damage

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I do not have a welder. The main issue is lack of space, there is little to no room between the locking lug and the wheel. I'm really hoping Ford has a matching key today!

Why does everyone always recommend destroying a socket to remove them when they sell the correct tool to remove them without any damage?

Get a lug remover kit, doesn't have to be snap on, they even sell them at sears

Follow instructions, done in minutes without any damage

Like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-maximum-impact-bolt-remover-set-13-pc-0581207p.html

chaos254

Reaction score
I had the same issue when i was doing my rear axle swap. Used a turbo socket and they were off in about 3 seconds. I run all regular lugs now.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Well I guess I overreacted, the first tire shop I went to made it seem like it was mission impossible.

Ford took them off for $20 and got replacements for another $16. While it was there I figured i'd have them do the oil and change the coolant as I don't know when it was ever changed & cut me a new key since I only have 1. Well, i
ll go back to changing my own oil as it was an expensive day lol, glad to have everything straightened out and ready for the gear change next week!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online