Well it finally died....stock ECM in my 98

TTSaleen

Reaction score
My TTSaleen developed a tell-tale failure of the ECM yesterday.
Last week I drove the car and it was fine.
Yesterday I went to crank it and it didn't want to light off like normal.
It rolled over and seemed to stop.
I smelled gas and got out to check. There was a puddle under my turbo header to downpipe conection of gasoline.
I pulled all spark plugs and 7 out of 8 were black and 2 were covered in raw gas.
I disconnected the injectors and unplugged the power to the coils and spun the engine over to blow out all the gas from the cylinders.

Disconnected #1 injector, pulled plug wire off and tried to start engine. It started but ran rough and was pouring gas again on the ground.

Long story short here's what I've determined -
1. Injector for cylinder 1 is leaking (external) on the body and has failed.
2. 7 out of 8 cylinders are dumping way too much fuel and flooding the car causing it to dump raw gas thru the engine and out the exhaust.
3. I unhooked the mid-pipe and gas ran out. Not good! Talk about avoiding a helluva fire hazard!
4. My car has the original 1998 ECM and a separate injector driver from Acceleronics (versafueler) that has since gone of out business to run my Lucas 120# low impedence injectors.

Next steps -
1. I can try to source a new replacement (reman) 98 ECM, load my tune into it and hope it fixes the problem.
2. If the replacement stock ECM doesn't work, I can try and source a replacement injector driver (now obsolete).
3. Or most obvious choice, go forward with a Holley Terminator X type of computer system.
4. I've already got a replacement injector on the way, but it's still that low-impedence type 120# Lucas. I was considering using the Bosch (VS Racing) 2200 cc (210#) injector so I could run E85 and still make up to 1,500hp. I don't think the Terminator X will support low-impedence injectors.

I searched on here and only saw the install and questions for the 94-95 models using the Fox body setup.
Mine being a 98 model would be different since it has the mod motor.

Any suggestions for me on using the Terminator X system in my application and trying to keep most/all of the factory gauges?
I know I need to get a set of 99-04 coils (COP), and use the kit Holley 550-1218 (stock coils and Ev1 injectors).

Thanks,
Ryan

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The terminator x system is crazy easy to use. The gauges on our cars are all ran through their own sensors, I don’t believe they go through the ecu at all accept the tach. I’m pretty positive the terminator tach out will run out tach. We might have to double check that though. The only real down side is that you have to rewire the car to get that system installed. Coil on plug would be easiest but you have to use the Holley coil drivers. I think they come in the kit when you get it.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Make sure you change the oil...
Yes. I actually changed the oil and filter immediately after I had pulled the spark plugs and rolled the engine over a few times to evacuate all the fuel from the cylinders.
As you can imagine, the oil smelled like gas. Sadly I had JUST changed the oil 1 week prior, but better save than sorry and wipe the bearings out of a new engine!

chrisp427

Reaction score
My TTSaleen developed a tell-tale failure of the ECM yesterday.
Last week I drove the car and it was fine.
Yesterday I went to crank it and it didn't want to light off like normal.
It rolled over and seemed to stop.
I smelled gas and got out to check. There was a puddle under my turbo header to downpipe conection of gasoline.
I pulled all spark plugs and 7 out of 8 were black and 2 were covered in raw gas.
I disconnected the injectors and unplugged the power to the coils and spun the engine over to blow out all the gas from the cylinders.

Disconnected #1 injector, pulled plug wire off and tried to start engine. It started but ran rough and was pouring gas again on the ground.

Long story short here's what I've determined -
1. Injector for cylinder 1 is leaking (external) on the body and has failed.
2. 7 out of 8 cylinders are dumping way too much fuel and flooding the car causing it to dump raw gas thru the engine and out the exhaust.
3. I unhooked the mid-pipe and gas ran out. Not good! Talk about avoiding a helluva fire hazard!
4. My car has the original 1998 ECM and a separate injector driver from Acceleronics (versafueler) that has since gone of out business to run my Lucas 120# low impedence injectors.

Next steps -
1. I can try to source a new replacement (reman) 98 ECM, load my tune into it and hope it fixes the problem.
2. If the replacement stock ECM doesn't work, I can try and source a replacement injector driver (now obsolete).
3. Or most obvious choice, go forward with a Holley Terminator X type of computer system.
4. I've already got a replacement injector on the way, but it's still that low-impedence type 120# Lucas. I was considering using the Bosch (VS Racing) 2200 cc (210#) injector so I could run E85 and still make up to 1,500hp. I don't think the Terminator X will support low-impedence injectors.

I searched on here and only saw the install and questions for the 94-95 models using the Fox body setup.
Mine being a 98 model would be different since it has the mod motor.

Any suggestions for me on using the Terminator X system in my application and trying to keep most/all of the factory gauges?
I know I need to get a set of 99-04 coils (COP), and use the kit Holley 550-1218 (stock coils and Ev1 injectors).

Thanks,
Ryan
Damn, I have a 94gt computer that you could have.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Good idea. DiyAutoTune has a plug and play megasquirt for our cars. They tune really easy, so that could be an option too.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Damn, I have a 94gt computer that you could have.
Thanks but that is the 5.0 computer and it would not be compatible. I appreciate it tho!

I looked at the MS3PRO as an option and it looked real nice.

Good idea. DiyAutoTune has a plug and play megasquirt for our cars. They tune really easy, so that could be an option too.
Yeah it looked nice. Unfortunately years ago I had my harness cut/modified to adapt an injector driver (versafueler/acceleronics) into it. So my harness is not stock and to put it back would require a complete cut/rewire affair. So I decided to just pull that stuff out and discard it.
I had a buddy message me last night about a NIB Holley HP ECU so I might be picking it up this weekend. I'd just need to buy the 4V harness kit.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Did you happen to use an OBD2 scanner? I wonder what the scanner would have contributed...

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thanks but that is the 5.0 computer and it would not be compatible. I appreciate it tho!

I looked at the MS3PRO as an option and it looked real nice.

Yeah it looked nice. Unfortunately years ago I had my harness cut/modified to adapt an injector driver (versafueler/acceleronics) into it. So my harness is not stock and to put it back would require a complete cut/rewire affair. So I decided to just pull that stuff out and discard it.
I had a buddy message me last night about a NIB Holley HP ECU so I might be picking it up this weekend. I'd just need to buy the 4V harness kit.
I don’t think you will be disappointed by the Holley HP. Very user friendly. I’ve been daily driving my coyote swap with the HP for a couple years now and it’s never let me down.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
would you by any chance need a 2001 cobra computer i have one on the shelf if needed
Appreciate it. But my harness had been modified in the past with an aftermarket injector driver and to put it back stock would require a bunch of rewiring. I am just going to pull it out and install a Holley system.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I don’t think you will be disappointed by the Holley HP. Very user friendly. I’ve been daily driving my coyote swap with the HP for a couple years now and it’s never let me down.
That is what I decided to do. This weekend I picked up my new Bosch 210# injectors and my new Ford Coil on Plugs (COPs).
I have the injector adapter harness kit on the way in addition to the injector spacers coming in (needed/required).
Will post some pics/vid soon on this changeover process.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Ryan

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Here's the Part 1 or first video of unboxing and installing the Terminator X onto my TTSaleen.
I get it fired up near the end of the video.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Here's Part 2 of my Terminator X install as I get the factory gauges all working and sorted out the water flow issue.
But I have other issues with the engine/tune to diagnose now.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
So found the spark plugs were black (gassed up) causing my misfire.
When I went thru the Holley gauges, I found it sees the fuel pressure is 94 pounds which means that new transducer is defective.
My actual pressure showing on my pillar is 43#.
I even unhooked the Holley from that transducer and connected to my Autometer one and it dropped from 95# to 32# so I know it's bad. Got a new one coming tomorrow from Summit before I can do anymore testing.
In the meantime, I've swapped in a new set of plugs and I put on the exhaust which allowed me to move the Holley wideband further away (instead of between the header and turbo) it is now after the turbo before the X-pipe.
I am also going to go ahead and pump out all the 93 and go with E85.
Might as well go ahead with big changes all at once!

I'll remove the current setup tune and revise it for the Ethanol setup which basically will change the a/f maps.

Anything else you guys can think of that have experience in this stuff? Kinda fumbling my way thru it right now, but I'm going to get there.

On the IAC, the Terminator-X only gives a Ford 5.0 option. I wasn't sure what to put for the Hz. so I chose 75Hz. Is that a good number to use?

Ryan

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I haven’t done any e85 tuning so, can’t help there. With the iac, I’ve seen them run from 75-300hz. I think it’ll take whatever you give it. If you have idle issues then I’d play with that and see if it clears up any. I know the higher hz will make the valve hum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99