Well it finally died....stock ECM in my 98

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You should be able to tune it without any fuel pressure input. It’s not a mandatory sensor, I never ran one with my coyote and it tuned up just fine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I fought with the IAC freq before swapping to a chrysler version I think it was. I was told the holley just does not like the ford IAC's

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I haven’t done any e85 tuning so, can’t help there. With the iac, I’ve seen them run from 75-300hz. I think it’ll take whatever you give it. If you have idle issues then I’d play with that and see if it clears up any. I know the higher hz will make the valve hum.
Thanks for the advice!
I found some info on the Holley forums last night and did some tinkering.
Swapped in a fresh set of TR8 spark plugs.
Then I drained all the 93 out, poured some E85 in it.
Next I swapped out the defective Holley fuel pressure transducer that was constantly showing 95# with a new replacment and it shows proper fuel pressure now (around 40#).
A few tries to get it to start and it fired up and settled into a nice idle.
It was slightly richer than I targeted, but I suspect it is the cold start fuel add built-in there in the base tune (I haven't changed any of that yet).
It ran really well, and I mean SMOOTH with zero smoke out the exhaust and no extra fuel smell.
Target A/F on E85 at idle is 9.5. As you cand see when cold it is adding more fuel keeping it around 7.9 to 8.5.
I also have the ignition timing set for 30 degrees total with 16 at cranking/startup.

But about the time it got up to 160 degrees, when I suspect the IAC starts to diminish it's influence on the idle, it died.
I could crank it back up and it ran for a second and died again, only running if I tried to feather the throttle.
Not sure if it's the IAC settings I need to manipulate more or something else.
Here's what my gauges were showing as it was coming up to temp right before it started having this issue.
It was definitely going LEAN right before it was cutting off.

Gauges_startup_E85_2L1ESrdke8S2SiT6VNbeYT.jpg

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Tweaked it last night some, but still have the issue when it comes up to temp.
Got my tuner (Caleb @ Fastlane) looking over the tune file now so hope to have it fixed soon!
Then it will be dyno time for this new engine, on E85, and we are gonna turn it up!
With the manual transmission it should spit out some pretty good numbers, if it don't blow thru the RXT clutch! LOL.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
ya might want to tune the iac % down a tad but afr looks good
What would you suggest? I have it on 100 right now. I tried 125 and it made the IAC motor hum.
Caleb might change it in the tune once he looks over my file.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not the freq, the %. I tried to get my ford IAC to work with a few different freqs and never was able to make it happy with the holley and converted to a chrysler IAC. Then there was no issue.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
not the freq, the %. I tried to get my ford IAC to work with a few different freqs and never was able to make it happy with the holley and converted to a chrysler IAC. Then there was no issue.
If you don't mind, would you link me to the IAC that you ended up using for yours? If I need to change I would at least try a solution that worked for my fellow SN95 bros! Thanks!

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Getting the tune dialed in.
Still trying to get the IaC figured out.
it starts OK, but once warmed up it idles around 1100.
Using my laptop I can see it hovering in the 950 range on the dot under idle so something is making it stay up at 1100 range, I suspect either cause I have been leaning the tune out or the IAC.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what is your IAC% at now? IIRC you want to get the motor warm, and then get it to where it will idle with the IAC unplugged by adjusting the throttle stop. Once you have that set, Do a TPS autoset and then you should be able to keep the IAC down as low as possible. I think mine is around %14 or so depending on what time of the year it is. I know a good remote tuner if you want to go that rout

NXcoupe

Reaction score
I'm a Holley EFI dealer, factory trained tuner, and installer. If you are running an HP, the ford iac is fine. Terminators need a output file set up for it to work smoothly. I run the ford iac on my coyote race car, my buddy's 306 nitrous termy car, and my other buddy's coyote procharged SN
I'm always willing to help if needed.

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I'm a Holley EFI dealer, factory trained tuner, and installer. If you are running an HP, the ford iac is fine. Terminators need a output file set up for it to work smoothly. I run the ford iac on my coyote race car, my buddy's 306 nitrous termy car, and my other buddy's coyote procharged SN
I'm always willing to help if needed.
I appreciate your offer.
The good news is I got it figured out and have a new tuner along the way.
1 - The IAC I had was not working properly. The Holley was commanding it to adjust but the IAC was not closing properly. I swapped it out with one for a 2003/2004 Mach1 and it works much better now.
2 - I have a new tuner (Andrew - ProjectGattaGo) from the Holley Forums (and instagram/youtube) who has spent some time with me on the base tune and it's been a 100% improvement all around.
I've been driving the car around and it's currently on low boost (around 10#) and the logs look perfect and car is performing flawless.
After about 100 miles of driving and I get him some updated logs, I plan to strap it down on a dyno and turn the boost up.

Here's a very quick video of my progress right before I switched out the IAC (I did that last night).
Ryan

OP
OP
TTSaleen

TTSaleen

Reaction score
You should be able to tune it without any fuel pressure input. It’s not a mandatory sensor, I never ran one with my coyote and it tuned up just fine.
What did you do for air-conditioning compressor activation? I still have my factory harness and computer/ccrm installed, but obviously something is not connected (missing engine signal or there is some ground or power signal) I need to fix. I can turn the switch on, but the compressor does not come on.
Thanks for the advice or schematic I need to figure this out!
Ryan

weendoggy

Reaction score
What did you do for air-conditioning compressor activation? I still have my factory harness and computer/ccrm installed, but obviously something is not connected (missing engine signal or there is some ground or power signal) I need to fix. I can turn the switch on, but the compressor does not come on.
Ryan
I have an '02 with Coyote swap and use my stock '02 AC setup. You need to keep the stock stuff intact and operate as if nothing changed. Not sure on your wiring but used my manual to insure all was good. It does go through the CCRM. I just don't have it "modulated" for idle but it all works just fine. No stalling. Cooooolllll. :cool:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ryan
I’ll have to get you the diagram, but I kept the stock a/c wiring except what goes through the ccrm. I’ll grab the diagram and post it here, we may be able to use an output from the Holley to trigger the ccrm like the factory ecu did, and you can set it up to keep the wot cut out.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I did find this.
Anyone used it?

I have not used that before. And I want to apologize, we’ve had some computer troubles. I was able to get the diagram today. Just to be clear though, is the a/c not coming on?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
This is the diagram I pulled. It looks like the pcm controls the pink/yellow wire on pin 22 at the ccrm. We could control that same wire, but it would also require you to give the terminator an input signal to let it know you want the ac. This would use up one of your inputs and one output. 6F13E573-BFD7-4B3A-A447-93FAF470B872.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online