Went GT40 parts shopping today...

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Today after work I went to a local salvage yard to see what they had in the Ford department. I found an 01 v6 Stang with a dirty but in very decent shape interior. The entire dash, double din radio bezel with all 3 buttons, and center console are all intact and just need a good bit of cleaning and a respray as they're charcoal and I have black interior. The place also has a ton of Explorers, I popped the hood on at least 7 with V8's, and there's also a complete motor and transmission from a 98 Mountaineer that's already been pulled. The newest I found was a 99 Explorer which was also the cleanest engine there, the vehicle looked like it hasn't been there nearly as long as some of the others. The owner of the shop wasn't there today, so I won't be able to find out prices on any of it until first thing tomorrow. If the price is right I plan on pulling the entire dash/console from the 01, and would also like to get the heads and intake from one of the Explorers, if the guy is willing to sell individual parts off the motor (he's a stubborn old fart basically). The questions I have for you guys is what's the most I should pay the guy for the items? I honestly have no clue what I should offer for the heads and intake, and figured a good first offer for the interior would be somewhere in the $75-100 ballpark, since I'm gonna pull it all myself. I know a few of you guys have bought Explorer parts so I'd like to hear what you guys paid. Also, what year model Explorer/Mountaineer came with the GT40P heads?...I really don't wanna buy new headers at the moment, but if the P heads are an advantage over GT40's, and I do get thrown a good deal for a set, I might go ahead and buy them to put up on the shelf. My goals for this car are simply a Cobra or Explorer intake, better flowing heads and installing my 1.7 roller rockers, and possibly a B cam or something with similar sound and performance gains. I don't really wanna go too radical on the car, just a fun daily driver. Lemme know what you guys think about price and whatnot and thanks in advance!

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
I got a gt40 upper from a junk yard for 40 bucks. Im about to go back to find the lower. I have the p heads and if you do get them get the ford racing headers for them. They make things so much easier..

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

86svo9l

Reaction score
If you want GT40 heads go for 96 or early 97. GT40's have 3 bars on the front of the heads, GT40p's have 4 bars.

What I did was purchased the entire engine. Most Explorer engines are very clean internally. I had a 96 engine sent to my door for $500. Built it on the side and then did an entire engine swap, was able to keep a lot of the Explorer goodies, such as the liquid oil cooler. Benefit was I was able to drive my car up until I had the engine how I wanted it, then in a weekend swapped in the new one, then sold the old one to recoupe most of my cash.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't mention that I just had my engine rebuilt: bored .20 over, new oil pump, bearing seals etc. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy new heads or an intake so I just got the E7's freshened up. I'm assuming the P heads are better than regular GT40's?

chris91

Reaction score
Do you have any upullandpay yards? We have a few around here in Cincy. You could get the heads for like $100-150 and intake for $50. I'd offer $50 for the console and radio bezel.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have any upullandpay yards? We have a few around here in Cincy. You could get the heads for like $100-150 and intake for $50. I'd offer $50 for the console and radio bezel.

We have one about an hour away but they don't have sh!t there man. A good friend of mine works at the place I'm going to so he might be able to help me get a better deal than most. The place parts out cars themselves but a lot of times If someone shows up wanting to score a few parts and are willing to pull em themselves they're ok with it to save them the work. And that sounds like a good price to me personally since I would take the heads straight away to get em checked and cleaned up. I'm ready to find out what he has to say.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Ok I finally got some prices from the guy who owns the yard today....for the dash and center console he wants $150! For a set of heads.....just heads....$300! He also has a complete motor and transmission from a 98 Mountaineer that he says he would take $500 and an old block (or something comparable) as a core charge. Haven't told him yet but he can suck it if he thinks I'm payin that much for junk yard heads. As far as the dash though I haven't decided yet, I definitely won't pay him any more than that, but $150 for a dash that needs to be cleaned and painted...and I'm pullin it myself. How you guys feel bout them numbers?

86svo9l

Reaction score
Seem high man. You can find the 96 Explorer engines shipped to your door for $500 all day with no core and you have to do no work other than receive it.

Go back and offer him $50 for the dash with you to pulling it as a start. I would not go anywhere north of $100. For that you can have them sent to your door...

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Seem high man. You can find the 96 Explorer engines shipped to your door for $500 all day with no core and you have to do no work other than receive it.

Go back and offer him $50 for the dash with you to pulling it as a start. I would not go anywhere north of $100. For that you can have them sent to your door...

Yea I think I'm gonna pass on the heads unless I can get him to come down a lot lower. I thought about offering $125 for the interior stuff. A member on here was trying to sell their center for $90 and shipping to me was gonna be another 30, so really I don't think $150 is terribly high but I'm definitely gonna try not to pay that much lol.

86svo9l

Reaction score
Yea I think I'm gonna pass on the heads unless I can get him to come down a lot lower. I thought about offering $125 for the interior stuff. A member on here was trying to sell their center for $90 and shipping to me was gonna be another 30, so really I don't think $150 is terribly high but I'm definitely gonna try not to pay that much lol.

He may have just started high in anticipation for a negotiation.

RichV

Reaction score
$350 for everything, you pull it. Worth an offer.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm thinking for now I'm prolly just gonna grab the interior stuff. I have a friend that works at the salvage yard who partially runs it...he's out til next week. So maybe if I can catch him there next week he will more than likely offer me a better deal than what I'm getting now. I just wanted to know what you guys thought would be the most I should have to pay. Think I've got a pretty good idea now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online