What’s the difference between Romeo and Windsor pi heads?

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
So what’s best head upgrade for 97 mustang gt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So what’s best head upgrade for 97 mustang gt?

Windsor and Romeo heads have some differences but accomplish the same thing. The port design is the same, the cam caps are different, the cam covers have 13 bolts vs 11 bolts on romeo, the front bolts that go through the timing cover in to the heads, 4 on each side (99% of the time) are are bigger diameter bolts. There are also some combustion chamber differences.

The best thing to do is find a set of romeo heads to swap on there. They will match up to all your bolts and covers. Thatll be the easiest thing to do.

Where are you located?

OP
OP
Tonysmith817

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
Windsor and Romeo heads have some differences but accomplish the same thing. The port design is the same, the cam caps are different, the cam covers have 13 bolts vs 11 bolts on romeo, the front bolts that go through the timing cover in to the heads, 4 on each side (99% of the time) are are bigger diameter bolts. There are also some combustion chamber differences.

The best thing to do is find a set of romeo heads to swap on there. They will match up to all your bolts and covers. Thatll be the easiest thing to do.

Where are you located?

Thanks. So the Romeo heads are off 99-00 gts right? Sorry for the simple questions I’m new to the 4.6. I’ve did some research and definitely seems like the Romeo heads are the way to go! I’m located in Lancaster Ohio!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like Windsor’s.....................................

And by Windsor’s, I’m talking bout the real Windsor motors!!! :)

OP
OP
Tonysmith817

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
Isn’t the Windsor heads cam caps press on and the Romeo bolt on?

OP
OP
Tonysmith817

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
What’s the difference in power number or are there any?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
When looking for pi heads, be sure to scavenge from 04-up. The early pi heads barely had any sparkplug hole threads and would spit the plugs out. 04-up heads have more threads in the hole.

OP
OP
Tonysmith817

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
When looking for pi heads, be sure to scavenge from 04-up. The early pi heads barely had any sparkplug hole threads and would spit the plugs out. 04-up heads have more threads in the hole.

Ok I’ll do that and if I go 04 and up head do I need to do the same with the intake manifolds. Also when I order header to I order for 04 and up?

OP
OP
Tonysmith817

Tonysmith817

Reaction score
Can I run stage 2 comp cams with aftermarket springs and rockers or are they to big for npi heads

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If running a npi head, no worries about buying aftermarket springs or rockers. If running pi heads, aftermarket springs may be needed depending on cam used....i would think comp stage 2 will be fine with stock springs.

Aftermarket rockers are never needed. A little bit of useless info...?.....the rockers are actually called followers and do not mimic what rockers do. Rockers are a lever mechanism and followers float. This should be more confusing...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online