What all can I do to update the interior and make it more classy?

bennylava

Reaction score
I have a 1994 GT that I'm fixing up to be a nice resto mod. I want to update the interior to a large degree. But what all should I do? I'm thinking I'll move the AC controls down to the very bottom, and place a modern screen where the AC controls and radio used to be. This will require a custom bezel and some metal fab, but those things really aren't a problem for me. I'll have fun doing that project.

What else can I do to bring the interior to the modern era? Would it be possible to use some nicer gauges from a newer car? The SN-95 gauges look very "90's". I really like the way the gauges look in the newer Lincolns. But can I make them fit?

I'm also going to install the best sound deadening, and the highest quality carpet that isn't too thick. What are some other mods that the interior would help to update the interior? Thank you!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
for sound damping check out second skin. I have used almost all of them and it is all I use on my car. As for gauges there isn't much in the way of plug and play. There is a digital gauge that will fit but it looks like it came out of knight rider and I am pretty sure still leaves a fair amount of wiring for you to do. Integrating another model into it might work but it will take some work to figure out. There are digital dashes that can be integrated and then you can have them show almost anything but it is not as smooth of a looking install as most modern cars since it is a retrofit.

96prpl2v

Reaction score
In my opinion find a newer mustang to only take the interior out of it make sure you aren’t paying anymore than 1000 for a whole interior swap i personally would try to find a 99-04 car as they got a few very well needed upgrades and there much better looking than the 94-98 there is plenty of after market interior trim pieces and what not to have whatever you want just gotta do the research and buy the parts

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will need to modify the dash to move the controls, while you are there and picking paint colors to finish it I have always been happy with my choice to go with a gloss black rather than the flat. I know people love to do the exterior colors inside but I always thought they were a little bright in my opinion but the gloss black freshens it up with out going over the top.

shovel

Reaction score
Swapping in a center console from a ~2001-04 gets you cup holders to replace the ash tray which is nice. Keep in mind the colors changed, even "black" - for example I put a 01 "black" center console in my 96 but it was more of a grey-tinted-brownish. I painted it truly black with vinyl interior paint and it matches the truly black dashboard in my 96 perfectly and the purpose-made vinyl paint is very resilient, no worry about it scratching or flaking off with use.

Something I've done in my own Mustangs is install nav on top of the dash where the clock was. This seems to enrage people when they see it so I guess prepare yourself to say unkind things to me about sharing it, don't worry I've heard it all.

xU75r3fn9l-gf3GbbgYw4QQw=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
vrm0wG-mMjmYSd9Aht5diAtRA=w2560-h143-no?authuser=0.png
I had to make my own Mustang models by modifying a Mercedes CLK model and then do a ton of manual retouching on the 2d versions.. it's not perfect but good enough I think.

1675352659620.png

It does not obstruct my view because I am not four feet tall. It has a forward dashcam and can connect to a wireless reversing cam if I wish to install one.

1675352775398.png

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Swapping in a center console from a ~2001-04 gets you cup holders to replace the ash tray which is nice. Keep in mind the colors changed, even "black" - for example I put a 01 "black" center console in my 96 but it was more of a grey-tinted-brownish. I painted it truly black with vinyl interior paint and it matches the truly black dashboard in my 96 perfectly and the purpose-made vinyl paint is very resilient, no worry about it scratching or flaking off with use.

Something I've done in my own Mustangs is install nav on top of the dash where the clock was. This seems to enrage people when they see it so I guess prepare yourself to say unkind things to me about sharing it, don't worry I've heard it all.

View attachment 23502
View attachment 23503
I had to make my own Mustang models by modifying a Mercedes CLK model and then do a ton of manual retouching on the 2d versions.. it's not perfect but good enough I think.

View attachment 23500

It does not obstruct my view because I am not four feet tall. It has a forward dashcam and can connect to a wireless reversing cam if I wish to install one.

View attachment 23501

I think the GPS on the dash was a neat idea and looks well executed.

OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
In my opinion find a newer mustang to only take the interior out of it make sure you aren’t paying anymore than 1000 for a whole interior swap i personally would try to find a 99-04 car as they got a few very well needed upgrades and there much better looking than the 94-98 there is plenty of after market interior trim pieces and what not to have whatever you want just gotta do the research and buy the parts

What all upgrades did they get? I like the center console idea because you get cup holders instead of the ash tray as one member mentioned. If possible, I'd like to keep whatever I can. I'll probably be going with the seats from an S197. IIRC the 04 interior is mostly the same interior with a few changes and somewhat different colors.

you will need to modify the dash to move the controls, while you are there and picking paint colors to finish it I have always been happy with my choice to go with a gloss black rather than the flat. I know people love to do the exterior colors inside but I always thought they were a little bright in my opinion but the gloss black freshens it up with out going over the top.

Excellent idea, I was trying to figure out what to do with all the trim pieces. Yeah everyone paints the trim the same color as the exterior. But if you look at interior design, that's in poor taste imo. The oem's may paint the trim a different color, but it's always a color that compliments the rest of the interior. That's not the case with almost all mustang colors. But since I have the black interior, a gloss black trim would go pretty well.

I was considering some kind of thin pin striping on various trim pieces. Something that really wouldn't stand out much. And metal plates that were "sunk in" to the door controls. So they'd go around the power windows and door lock buttons. But not resting on top, as that would look tacked on.

It would be really nice to upgrade the console door. Only thing I can think of is covering it in a somewhat thin black leather. I've seen those door covers where they've added some other colors with big stitching. Looks like a baseball or something, not good. Leads me to believe it needs to be all one color, and any stitching needs to be on the bottom where it's unseen.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
redline leather makes a cover that goes over the console and fits nice and looks nice. I actually did a 1" stripe of the exterior color going down the center of the dash just to add a little detail with out going over the top and I have always been happy with it.

shovel

Reaction score
Excellent idea, I was trying to figure out what to do with all the trim pieces. Yeah everyone paints the trim the same color as the exterior. But if you look at interior design, that's in poor taste imo. The oem's may paint the trim a different color, but it's always a color that compliments the rest of the interior. That's not the case with almost all mustang colors. But since I have the black interior, a gloss black trim would go pretty well.

I think bringing some outside color inside CAN be cool.. but a little goes a long way and roughly 100% of the time when people start painting trim pieces they overdo it, and really to my eye parts which look good in color and parts which easily remove for painting aren't necessarily the same parts. Same with randomly sticking billet or chrome pieces around the car without a cohesive plan.

In the case of a SN95 Mustang.. I think maybe if one would take the center stack bezel and gearshift bezel and do a really good gloss paint matched exactly to the exterior paint and then stop painting it could look classy. When they start doing the door handles and gauge bezel etc. it's just overwhelming and tacky - and of course if it's just random flaky spray paint that doesn't match the exterior or funky shrink wrap patterns.. tacky in my opinion.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Flocking is kind of a cool thing, at least to me. Great thing about it is that there are no seams and no stitching if you're a person that's not really into stitching like me. I mean... I do like stitching but you have to re-do every stitch in the interior to make sure they all match perfectly unless they're all black and you can get away with different shades of black.

The flocking thing I've done has so far come out nice, I just have to install the door skins once I'm done with all the rest of the interior. I got lucky on the saddle/tan color match I must say. That was truly a shot in the dark that actually worked. I stuck with the factory scheme of tan/black but of course all the tan parts are flocked.

But it has to be done properly, there is really only one way to do it and that's with a real high-voltage flocking gun. It's really cool because two main reasons:

All the fibers are of uniform length and girth, and with the HV gun they all orient perfectly perpendicular to the surface that the glue is applied to. So when light strikes the surface, it just looks perfect. And depending on the angle of incidence, you get these slightly off-color sheens all across it. Hard to explain but it's like you have the true color, and in parts next to it you have either a shade brighter and/or a shade darker. Weird but cool. And then the other huge benefit is that it doesn't stain because if you get the oil-based textile fibers, pretty much nothing adheres to those fibers and cleaning up even the nastiest shit is easy. Already happened once and I literally took some of that turtle wax carpet cleaner foam to a spot of anti-seize that I accidently smugded on the center console and it just lifted right out.

Oh, and it feels so damn soft and smooth!

Here's a shot of it applied to the the dash, steering wheel, and center console. I've got every interior piece finished (the tan portions of it anyway because I actually really like the OEM black vinyl) but I have the car still partially disassembled.

ANd also because I've got some wild stuff still yet to be done. One of the things I'm really looking forward to tackling is the white electro-luminescent wire that follows the contour of the line separating black & tan on the doors and the dash, going all the way down to fill the curve of the shifter bezel area. Gonna be nasty.

Attachments

• 20210919_173724.jpg
    20210919_173724.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210925_123143.jpg
    20210925_123143.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221105_131558.jpg
    20221105_131558.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
How does the flock feel when you touch it? Like felt or velvet? Or does it feel more like cotton cloth?

redline leather makes a cover that goes over the console and fits nice and looks nice. I actually did a 1" stripe of the exterior color going down the center of the dash just to add a little detail with out going over the top and I have always been happy with it.

Do you happen to have a pic of your dash? I'd like to see how it turned out.

I did see the Redline console door cover, and I'd be interested if only it were solid. Looks like they put stripes in there.

I think bringing some outside color inside CAN be cool.. but a little goes a long way and roughly 100% of the time when people start painting trim pieces they overdo it, and really to my eye parts which look good in color and parts which easily remove for painting aren't necessarily the same parts. Same with randomly sticking billet or chrome pieces around the car without a cohesive plan.

In the case of a SN95 Mustang.. I think maybe if one would take the center stack bezel and gearshift bezel and do a really good gloss paint matched exactly to the exterior paint and then stop painting it could look classy. When they start doing the door handles and gauge bezel etc. it's just overwhelming and tacky - and of course if it's just random flaky spray paint that doesn't match the exterior or funky shrink wrap patterns.. tacky in my opinion.

So only the center stack bezel, and the shifter bezel? Leave all the other trim pieces in their factory finish?

I have the black interior, so I wasn't sure which pieces to paint gloss black. It may not matter much, since the whole thing will still be black.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMG_20201208_145111485.jpg
This pic is a little too close to really see the whole thing and was meant to capture the usb/radar detector controller I installed but you can get the idea.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If you’re going to upgrade to newer seats my vote is to skip the s197 seats and go with a set of s550 seats. Much more comfortable and better headrests. The 05-09 headrests are terrible.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you’re going to upgrade to newer seats my vote is to skip the s197 seats and go with a set of s550 seats. Much more comfortable and better headrests. The 05-09 headrests are terrible.

The S197 seats always seemed to be too close to the dash when simply bolting the SN95 tracks to them as well.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
How does the flock feel when you touch it? Like felt or velvet? Or does it feel more like cotton cloth?
The flock feels very smooth but it has a slight drag to it, almost like a pool table. But I think it depends on what kind of flocking fibers you apply. The ones I have for the tan are extremely thin and short, which I understand is not normal according to the guy I had flock all the pieces. Most flocking fibers seem to be longer and a bit wider. I just supplied the specific fiber, but I really wanted this one because they're oil based and resist all staining. Plus the color match with the seats & carpet (got lucky on that one).

Normally the flock is more plush rather than smooth. Fluffier I guess you could say.

rio_snek

Reaction score
Could not agree more. Painting the radio/shifter bezels is a fairly simple project that adds just enough to the interior without overdoing it

OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
I'll figure out a

I think if you lowered the stalk so it appeared to be "sitting" on top of the dash itself, you'd get much less hate. Along with painting the base flat black instead of having it be bare metal colored.

But have you ever considered putting in a large, modern screen? It would be something of a project but if you're used to working on cars, it wouldn't be all that bad. I might be wrong here, but I don't think the dash has to come out. I think you can just do some cutting and a bit of rearranging supports, with the dash still in the car. Then you'd have an integrated modern screen where the AC controls are now. And just move the AC controls down to where the CD player would have been back in the 90's. The lowest slot.

I'll find a way to make the old interior look classy and somewhat more up to date. I wanted to avoid using other seats at first, but mine are worn out, and I don't think you "update" the interior by keeping those old looking seats. Even if they were completely reupholstered. Those will just have to go on a shelf in the garage.

shovel

Reaction score
I think if you lowered the stalk so it appeared to be "sitting" on top of the dash itself, you'd get much less hate. Along with painting the base flat black instead of having it be bare metal colored.

I really don't care if random internet people tell me they don't like my car they don't like the color, they don't like the wheels, they don't like that it's not lowered, probably a hundred other things they didn't know they hate but they'd tell me if they saw it.

Since the nav has a dashcam on the front it's necessary for it to sit high enough to see out the windshield and I am tall enough that it doesn't block my view of anything.

But have you ever considered putting in a large, modern screen? It would be something of a project but if you're used to working on cars, it wouldn't be all that bad. I might be wrong here, but I don't think the dash has to come out. I think you can just do some cutting and a bit of rearranging supports, with the dash still in the car. Then you'd have an integrated modern screen where the AC controls are now. And just move the AC controls down to where the CD player would have been back in the 90's. The lowest slot.

I have seen people move the head unit up and the HVAC down which would make it easier to use nav on a receiver without taking your eyes so far off the road. I wouldn't want anything larger than 2DIN. I think giant screens are tacky and anything which sticks out, sticks on, flips up or otherwise isn't cleanly integrated would not have any aesthetic advantage over the solution I already implemented.

Several years ago (before Android Auto, etc existed) I put a 2DIN nav unit in my wife's 02 Mustang and we both found that using a screen so far down for nav or any other kind of frequent/continuous viewing is very distracting. If she decides she wants a more modern unit in the future I'll do the ol' switcheroo at that time and put it up where the HVAC is now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online