what am I doing wrong here?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been trying to get the last few things lined up to get it back on the road and one thing that keeps popping up is the front drivers wheel. Last time I started it up the wheel was nice and straight and then I back it out of the garage and found the front wheel like this.
Bxh17Q8.jpg

Naturally I kinda shat myself, looked inside to make sure it wasn't rubbing the baer's(and it isn't) and then immediately put it back in the garage. I took the wheel off and I thought I found the two bolts that lock the hub in where just a tad looser than I they maybe should be so I tightened them up and then put the wheel back on. Tonight I fired it up and started to back out while now watching the wheel and almost as soon as I started to back up it did it again. What am I missing that would do this?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check your caster camber plates - may be loose.
I had not checked these in a while so I went down and was able to give the bolts maybe another 1/8th of a turn but it didn't show any signs of having moved. So I started it up and again as soon as I started to roll back I could see it start to go in. I can grab the top of the tire and pull and I can see it move a bit and hear some movement. Could it be the ball joints?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I had not checked these in a while so I went down and was able to give the bolts maybe another 1/8th of a turn but it didn't show any signs of having moved. So I started it up and again as soon as I started to roll back I could see it start to go in. I can grab the top of the tire and pull and I can see it move a bit and hear some movement. Could it be the ball joints?
Are your stunt to spindle bolts tight? Do you have stock strut bolts or are you using the oval camber bolts?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are your stunt to spindle bolts tight? Do you have stock strut bolts or are you using the oval camber bolts?
this last time I checked they were also maybe a little loose but after tightening them up it still does it. It does have the oval caster bolt.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If camber plates are tight, my money is on ball joints.
that is the only thing I have not checked yet and its first on my list tomorrow. Between this and the ride height sensors I have started to think I missed my calling as a nascar jack/pit dude with all the practice I have got.

doggiedoc

Reaction score
I had a lock nut on a ball joint back out on mine — dropped the control arm in the cul-de-sac with my boys test driving. Fortunately they were going slow and no damage. I tack welded the damn thing now it stays put!l

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it wasn't the ball joint. I think it was my impact is just a weak pos. I took the wheel off and the ball joint could not have been any tighter, neither could the CC mounts so the only other place that could be moving was the spindle bolts right? I think last time I used my pneumatic craftsman impact to tighten them up but I have been noticing that it seems like that thing has been getting weaker and weaker. So this time I grabbed my big wrench and ratchet and I was surprised to crank them down another 3/8 of a turn. I put the wheel back on and it wasn't moving now. So I put 2 gallons of gas in the tank and took it for a drive. Its a little scary trying to watch all the gauges like a hawk and hanging my head out the window on turns or after them to see that the wheel isn't moving oh yea and make sure I don't hit any kids playing in the street... I took it a little further this time and got into 3rd gear in low rpms just to see how it handled it and it had no problem. I didn't get into a spot that I could even dream of opening it up but it felt like if I pushed the pedal down that it was gonna go.

Now my only fear is I am wondering how many other bolts I "tightened" up with my impact and that need another 3/8 of a turn? My plan was to take it in for the alignment and ask them to do an inspection as if it were a new purchase and to basically make sure any bolt they see is tight. Then take it for some short drives before putting it back in the air just to do another inspection. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I have an air compressor as well but damn I hate turning that thing on

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the newer cordless impacts are just as if not more powerful than the air tools. One day there won’t be much need for compressors other than spraying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeh I know what you mean, when I turn mine on it just really runs up my juice bill.....IMG_20200710_152626753_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
I just have to watch out for kids, leprechauns, and dwarves so they don't trip over the danm thing and break something...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A lot of the newer cordless impacts are just as if not more powerful than the air tools. One day there won’t be much need for compressors other than spraying.

I know the power is there, at least when they are new but I also know that once the batteries start to go down that they are no good. As I type that I am reminded this conversation is about a pneumatic tool that seems to have lost its power and I can't replace the battery on so I am not sure its a valid point :) With the investment in the 60 gallon compressor I guess that is why I am leaning that way but...

Yeh I know what you mean, when I turn mine on it just really runs up my juice bill.....View attachment 5956
I just have to watch out for kids, leprechauns, and dwarves so they don't trip over the danm thing and break something...

Does that have enough volume to knock all the lug nuts off of a tire with out it charging during?

Werecow

Reaction score
It's got almost enough to blow the kerosene off one pushrod before it kicks on!! It won't even kick on the air chisel that I have!!! Course I just got it to replace air cans anyhoo...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's got almost enough to blow the kerosene off one pushrod before it kicks on!! It won't even kick on the air chisel that I have!!! Course I just got it to replace air cans anyhoo...
see now mine hardly sweats on large jobs but when it does start to sweat and kicks on you are not going to have a nice conversation in the garage.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know the power is there, at least when they are new but I also know that once the batteries start to go down that they are no good. As I type that I am reminded this conversation is about a pneumatic tool that seems to have lost its power and I can't replace the battery on so I am not sure its a valid point :) With the investment in the 60 gallon compressor I guess that is why I am leaning that way but...

Does that have enough volume to knock all the lug nuts off of a tire with out it charging during?

The new lithium batteries hold up quite well. Keep in mind I use my dewalt 20v batteries all day every day and have had them for quite some time and they still charge and hold charge with no problem.

a13d67934bdbc5b976ebedf1aaef37e4.jpg

That 26x26”s of black top that was 4-6” deep cut with a cordless circular saw. The layer of bedrock underneath was busted up with a cordless rotary hammer drill and a chisel bit acting as a jack hammer. Took one full battery and barely touched the second battery. Had these battery’s a few years now.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I've watched that Earthquake XT do some amazing stuff in some videos. I have a craftsman air gun but not waiting for the compressor to build pressure and wake up the entire neighborhood in process is a plus. The amount of time I actually use an impact a cordless would last a long time

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online