what am I doing wrong here?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I know this is a debate about power tools, but I’ll put my 2 cents in.

Always, always, always, use a torque wrench. You never guess about power tool output. You just have to worry about calibration, but as long as it is zerod before storing and it’s not dropped, then a torque wrench will hold calibration.

I put a torque wrench on just about everything. Even put a torque wrench on all my wheels. Some friends crack jokes at me because I use a torque wrench so much.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Always, always, always, use a torque wrench. You never guess about power tool output. You just have to worry about calibration, but as long as it is zerod before storing and it’s not dropped, then a torque wrench will hold calibration.

I put a torque wrench on just about everything. Even put a torque wrench on all my wheels. Some friends crack jokes at me because I use a torque wrench so much.

Torqued Nutz Matterz!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

solid advice i will be following. I would rather be made fun of for using a torque wrench too much than to be the one that had his wheels fall off...

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, Pneumatic or Volts make no difference...too loose is too loose. I have 4 different torque wrenches because even my calibrated arm is getting out of spec and I keep finding stuff that is too loose when checked with a torque wrench. The high power impacts will tear up your wrists and you will limp wrist the nut and think it is tight.
I got a free small impact in one of the kits I bought and said I will never use it...it set everything to 11 pounds and now I set all nuts to 11 pounds first and come back and set it with the torque wrench, handiest tool I have, it doesn't not snap heads off, stretch bolts, strip threads or rip my arm off.
Also getting better at replacing fasteners, even good one are only good for 10 times before they will not stay tight.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was thinking that was what it was supposed to be but when I was able to push some of them a little bit of a turn to get it to click 45 ft lbs I was starting to think that maybe I had something mixed up. Jesus I think I am ready to take it to the shop for the alignment right after I knock those up bit but now I am scared to think of what else I tightened up that "well"....

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I was thinking that was what it was supposed to be but when I was able to push some of them a little bit of a turn to get it to click 45 ft lbs I was starting to think that maybe I had something mixed up. Jesus I think I am ready to take it to the shop for the alignment right after I knock those up bit but now I am scared to think of what else I tightened up that "well"....

Get yourself a paint pen. Make a list of items to be torqued and as you go along mark the bolt head/nut with the paint pen. Gives you a visual cue for peace of minds sake.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Get yourself a paint pen. Make a list of items to be torqued and as you go along mark the bolt head/nut with the paint pen. Gives you a visual cue for peace of minds sake.
list to tighten:
everything except the lug nuts.

Things to get:
two paint pens

Go figure the shop was closed all weekend because of slow biz with the rona and today I call at 10am and they are too busy to fit in an alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online