What are the best tires I can get for stock 17" wheels?

tykempster

Reaction score
Putting on 2003 Cobra brakes, and am buying my roommate's 17" wheels from his 98 to clear them. What is the best front/rear combo I can get for the car? Mostly concerned with dry and warm performance. Thanks!

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Need more info

Dailying it?

Autox/track events

Drag racing?

JKady

Reaction score
Need more info

Dailying it?

Autox/track events

Drag racing?

Exactly, there is no "Best" tire for doing everything.

I'm a big fan of the Continental Extreme-Contact DW for a daily/handling summer tire though, for what it's worth.

And I can say with certainty since I have a set, to stay far, far away from anything Nexen.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Exactly, there is no "Best" tire for doing everything.

I'm a big fan of the Continental Extreme-Contact DW for a daily/handling summer tire though, for what it's worth.

And I can say with certainty since I have a set, to stay far, far away from anything Nexen.
Nexxen aren't bad for the cost

JKady

Reaction score
Nexxen aren't bad for the cost
The problem is that they're also not particularly good for the cost. If it's always 55 degrees or better and never even damp where you live then yeah they're alright but even by "summer" tire standards they're horrible in the rain and horrible if it's cool/cold out. It's well worth the extra 150-200 bucks to get into a higher quality tire like a Sport Comp 2 or Extreme Contact.

JKady

Reaction score
Never cheap out on rubbers..... It will cost you

Bfg comp2s
How do you like the Comp 2's in the wet? Debating on them or Extreme Contacts for my next set of shoes but it's a DD so long as it's not snowing so I need decent wet weather performance.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Sorry, used to other Mustang forums where it's a 94-95 car section not just engine.

I want tires that will hook nicely, this is my "nice weather" car, so not necessarily a daily driver, but sometimes it is driven a lot. No drag strips or tracks around here, so I won't be looking to launch the vehicle.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There really isn't a "best." You'll get lots of folks that use an assortment of tires, and will vouch for them. There will not be consensus down to a single tire, though. Also, what works superb for one person might not be so great for another. Your best bet is to see what folks here say, pick the one (or ones) that fit your budget, and then check out reviews on tire rack or discount tire - find the one you like best. I wouldn't agonize too much over it. Unless you are all-out racing the car, then all the tires suggested to you will all work about the same. Differences will be minor and honestly probably not noticeable for street driving. Check out the ones provided in this thread, pick the one you like the best, and then rock them.

Pretty much any Max Performance Summer tire will do you well - if you want something more grippy, Extreme Performance Summer tire (though these will be worse in the rain and tend to wear out faster). I personally use the Hankook Ventus Evo on my DD and it works well for me. Great balance between performance, cost, and life span. And I take on/off ramps with vigor.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Stock 98 GT wheels, so I believe 8". I've read some places 255 max, then others they say 275.

You CAN put 275's on an 8'' wide wheel but then again you CAN also look down the barrel of a loaded gun. Just cause it can be done don't make it a good idea. A 275 on a 8" wheel makes for a loose ass. Drag racers do it all the time but just for track use. On the roads the rear will sway side to side cause of all the extra sidewall. A 255 would be the widest to go with. Now you find yourself some 17x9's and 275's in the rear all day long.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I second that. Very affordable and real good on wet and dry.

real good for drifting :)

I got my wheels on craigs list back when I lived in phoenix and the rear 10" wheels had sumitomo 335's on them. They looked nice and beefy and to this day they were the only wheels I have ever had anyone take notice of, but they would rub on the inside on too sharp of a corner and this was at stock ride height. I only kept them on there because I was broke after getting them as when I found the deal I had no plans on buying wheels/tires.. The guy I got them from wanted to put them on his fox but didn't realize all he stuff needed to change so I got them with the nubs on the tires and the protective plastic on the center cps for $450 new.

I was being sarcastic on the sumisucko's obviously as I could not get them to hook up wet or dry and this was when the motor was completely stock down to the air silencer.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
real good for drifting :)

I was being sarcastic on the sumisucko's obviously as I could not get them to hook up wet or dry and this was when the motor was completely stock down to the air silencer.

I wasn't. I use them on the streets here in S Florida where one minute it's sunny and the next it's hurricane conditions. I don't use them for anything other then daily driving. That means no drag racing on the streets or focking around in the wet. I have track wheels and tires for that at the track. They last long and are cheap. And they have many different styles for different conditions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online