What CAI fits?

tinnocker

Reaction score
What cold air intake fits for 94/5.0 Mustang GT with explorer GT40 intake and 45 degree Edelbrock adapter? I would prefer the shorty that doesn't go thru the fender well or stops short of the fender opening so that I can easily remove the filter. This is not on a race or maximum hp Mustang, just a street hot rod so I am not looking for every bit of hp I can find. Leave it stock? I haven't a problem with that either. The open filter element under the hood looks like it would work great. Plastic also. I have seen the arguments that plastic gets hotter, but I think the aluminum ones would also. Ford put the stock filter to suck up outside air. Lot of engineering went into that and at a greater expense so it must be needed. Maybe I need to stay in the fender well, but I read the reviews and there are a lot that tell of the problems of getting them to fit without cutting and drilling. Pictures would be great. Brent

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I never had to cut or modify anything to fit the CAI I put on it that was in the fender way back when it was still stock.

joe65

Reaction score
hard to go wrong with JLT except for the price. but hey at least he started from scratch a while back and is now making some money.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What are you really wanting from the CAI and what is the budget? If you want some thing nice and shiney with a brand name on the top then you should be prepared to overpay. bbk, jlt, and anderson power pipes are better for look but there is not much difference in performance between the ebay and name brand for the extra $$$ you pay.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
First, it is not going to be stock. I already have a ported GT40 intake and the 45 degree adapter made by Edelbrock, that I haven't installed it yet and do not know if the stock CAI will fit. I opened the stock one that is on it to see if I needed a new filter and it was hard to get off and I wasn't sure if it was even sealed on the underside when I got it back together. I would like something more simple to get to. I know that I will be overpaying if I buy the BBK and am not buying it for looks. If I only wanted looks I would strip everything out and install a 4 barrel and aluminum intake and chrome covers. I have looked at the ebay $50-$80 ones and they look good and look simple to get to the filter. Do they fit and does everything that is attached to the stock one( wiring and plugs) have a place on the ebay ones to accommodate them? I would like to hear about the fit of the ebay ones and also see installed pictures. If I am looking to buy an ebay one do I get one for a 94 gt since I am going to have a different intake.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’d have to go Rau’s route on this one: Lowe’s or Home Depot. That way you can fabricate it exactly how you want it and get that air filter in a location that suits you.

Previous input I’ve received regarding CAI’s is that there’s a considerable amount of heat underneath the hood of a 5.0, et al. So, if you situate the air filter inside the engine compartment and not thru the fender well, you’re sucking in hot air, not cold. Food for thought...

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and bought one o the shiny ebay ones for less than $60 that has the filter sticking into the fender well. I will try to post a picture and tell if it upsets the computer and how it fits.

tvsn95

Reaction score
Hey guys remember if you put a larger diameter CAI ( the piping not the filter) the tune will change. the lower velocity over the MAF element will lean out. also if there are curves and the airflow at speed travels on the outside of the curve and the MAF is in the outside curve it will richen up as velocity picks up.
Just giving you somthing to think about,,,,,Good luck

TrickVert

Reaction score
Hey guys remember if you put a larger diameter CAI ( the piping not the filter) the tune will change. the lower velocity over the MAF element will lean out. also if there are curves and the airflow at speed travels on the outside of the curve and the MAF is in the outside curve it will richen up as velocity picks up.
Just giving you somthing to think about,,,,,Good luck

This doesn't make any sense. The same amount (mass) of air will flow through an 80mm opening (i.e. the MAF sensor body) whether the pipe in front of it is 80mm or 800mm.

TrickVert

Reaction score
tinnocker - The filters that come with those cheapie CAI's are typically so bad you might as well just stretch panty hose over the inlet. Even K&N filters let far too much crud through them for regular use.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense. The same amount (mass) of air will flow through an 80mm opening (i.e. the MAF sensor body) whether the pipe in front of it is 80mm or 800mm.
he didn't say it would move more air, he said it would change the velocity.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
I read on a review where someone had to take their K&N off. What would be a good brand to use and a wet one or dry one?

TrickVert

Reaction score
he didn't say it would move more air, he said it would change the velocity.
Nope. The same amount of air will be passing through the MAF in the same amount of time, so the velocity will have to be the sane at that point. It will be moving more slowly *before* the MAF if the diameter is larger, and faster *after* the MAF if the tube diameter is smaller (which is the desired scenario).

TrickVert

Reaction score
Although I do have a K&N cone filter on my car, it's about the only solution that will work. That said, AEM is probably the the only reusable filter I'd consider buying at this point.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is news to me that k&n is bad
Nope. The same amount of air will be passing through the MAF in the same amount of time, so the velocity will have to be the sane at that point. It will be moving more slowly *before* the MAF if the diameter is larger, and faster *after* the MAF if the tube diameter is smaller (which is the desired scenario).
no need to argue with me I was just saying that he commented that the velocity of the air would change. I didn't say I agreed with him and I never knew anyone that put an intake on a 302(which is everyone that had a 302) has ever needed a tune.

TrickVert

Reaction score
This is news to me that k&n is bad

no need to argue with me I was just saying that he commented that the velocity of the air would change. I didn't say I agreed with him and I never knew anyone that put an intake on a 302(which is everyone that had a 302) has ever needed a tune.
Yeah, I used to be a K&N believer. . Check out this air filter test video:

This is the money shot:
Screenshot_20210629-231815.png

Didn't mean to come off as combative. All good!

97ponygt

Reaction score
Interesting video… wonder what kind of conclusions you can really draw from that particle contaminant test. I’d imagine that the oils in the kn filter are really skewing the results.

I don’t know, I’ve had one on my little focus since it’s had 40k miles and it’s almost to 200k (193k now) and my mustangs had one since at least 60k miles ago and it’s up to 156k.

joe65

Reaction score
I might be late to the party here. But after multiple auto forums and lots of reading i'd tend to agree that really the paper filters are the best way if you can leave it that way. There were probably at least a few times in my past that i had over oiled a k&n. anyways lots of tests regarding paper vs k&n or reusable. Most people don't think about how much dust or particles that can over time do harm to internals. Its just not the place to gain hp. There was also this thing where everyone would remove the screen at the maf....that thing is there for a reason, and if removed it changes the way air is pulled into the maf. Anyways, lots of companies have made lots of money from people trying to get that 5-10hp out of their cars....live, throw money at things, and learn, i guess.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
This is the one that I ordered off ebay. The quality was good. It fit without any trimming or nothching. I decided not to leave the filter under the fender like the original air filter. I converted it to a stubby model by cutting the tubing to leave the filter in front of the air box hole. I believe it will still pull cool air in and it will be easier to change the filter. The filter looked good, just don't know how good so I will upgrade soon. This looks like a SR Performance kit at a slightly better price. It did not have the SR Performance filter...or any directions. It was missing two small bolts that bolted the supplied plate for the fender hole. They were metric and slightly smaller than 1/4-20 so I tapped them for 1/4-20 and used bolts that I had. For the price, I am satisfied.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online