What can be done?

ghost

Reaction score
Hey guys I have dss 331 stroker I was using factory fan and radiator when the fan motor burned out one night the computer was set to keep it at around 180 I got a cheap after market fan and now i cant pull out the drive way with out the temp shooting up we hot wired the fan to run all time I also think a relay went out because when we first wired it back up the fan would turn off for know reason my question is I want to redo all of the cooling system new radiator new water pump new fan and shroud and new thermostat so whats the best parts! I drive the car hard lots of starting and stopping and some racing and run the air conditioning alot any and all opinions will be appreciated. :help2:

ryclef331

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear but I say replace with all stock stuff...minus a 180 degree thermostat. The stock E-Fan is MORE than enough for almost anything you can throw at it. I'm running a 331 as well and EVERYTHING on my car except the thermostat is stock. I temp 185 ALL day even in 95 degree heat and stop and go. You might want to figure out why your cooling stuff shorted out. Your thermostat could also be stuck shut. One more question. What temp is your thermostat temp AND is your tune setup to come on at that time? If you're running a 180 degree t'stat and the fans aren't set to come on till 200....you're going to temp well...200ish. Do you have a leak in the system? Air pockets will wreak havoc on your water temps. Burp the system AFTER the thermostat has opened. How old is your radiator cap? Try the cheapest things first before you start dropping cash.

OP
OP
G

ghost

Reaction score
Thank's Ryclef I put in a new thermostat, I'm leaning toward a bad head gasket everything else seems to work. The top hose coming off the radiator builds up way to much pressure thats my big concern, I have my friends taking it to there house, both of them have stangs and one of them worked for ford.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Probably not what you want to hear but I say replace with all stock stuff...minus a 180 degree thermostat. The stock E-Fan is MORE than enough for almost anything you can throw at it. I'm running a 331 as well and EVERYTHING on my car except the thermostat is stock. I temp 185 ALL day even in 95 degree heat and stop and go. You might want to figure out why your cooling stuff shorted out. Your thermostat could also be stuck shut. One more question. What temp is your thermostat temp AND is your tune setup to come on at that time? If you're running a 180 degree t'stat and the fans aren't set to come on till 200....you're going to temp well...200ish. Do you have a leak in the system? Air pockets will wreak havoc on your water temps. Burp the system AFTER the thermostat has opened. How old is your radiator cap? Try the cheapest things first before you start dropping cash.

EXACTLY....Our stock cooling systems are more than enough for most combo's. I run a OE stocker rad,fan,WP,and a 180 stat.......never had one issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online