What can I expect as far as WOW factor ?

macsnjets

Reaction score
Hi, I’m sort of new here. I Joined a while back but haven’t posted. I have a 2004 GT and only mod as far as performance is a Borla Stinger Exhaust. I finally want to do some mods to get a little more excitement. I”m thinking an Accufab 70mm throttle body and plenum along with the JLT ram air intake. I don’t think I’ll supercharge in the future. So, with $750 in the above mods am I going to get a Big “WOW’ or not so much. Maybe I need to add the 3.73 gears too ? Your thoughts are appreciated.

CDF4DC48-F416-4657-90B9-ABF4AF3C019D.jpeg

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Gears are gonna give you the biggest wow by far. The intake and tb isn't a bad touch. They do a little but I wouldn't expect a lot out of them other than a little bit of sound and a few HP

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that will lighten you wallet up a fair amount which could result in a little different feeling. But realistically an intake/exhaust on a stock motor will make it sound a little better but your not going to notice a huge performance increase. They help later if you get into the heads/boost but on a stock motor you will need to convince yourself that you are pretty sure you almost kind of sort of feel it is faster.

OP
OP
M

macsnjets

Reaction score
I know I won’t get much HP but what I read is a better throttle response. Is that true ? So you think I should go for the gears first ? How bad will it kill my gas mileage ? Asking because I commute about 21 miles each way.

I’m starting to think the mods might not be worth it unless I supercharge which will break the bank.

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
As mentioned before, gears are one of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades you can do to a new project.

You need to figure out what you want from the car and start planning towards that goal.

OP
OP
M

macsnjets

Reaction score
Looking like gears in the future as long as it doesn’t kill my MPG. I installed a KN drop in today. I’ve read that’s a good thing to do vs a CAI. I guess my goal is NOT supercharge and NOT Cams. Just want some pep in my daily driver.
Thanks

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Looking like gears in the future as long as it doesn’t kill my MPG. I installed a KN drop in today. I’ve read that’s a good thing to do vs a CAI. I guess my goal is NOT supercharge and NOT Cams. Just want some pep in my daily driver.
Thanks

Gear alone won’t kill your mileage but you enjoying the new found acceleration will :cool:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your really not going to get any gains for the money spent on the KN. I know it makes us all feel good to do it but there are cheaper brands that still do the same job of making you feel better. Gears will effect milage but not kill it depending on what you get, there is no way around that but none of the mods we do help our milage once we discover the fun/loud pedal is a little more fun after we install them. There is a trade off for everything and if you want to keep the milage and get the most bang for the bucks I would look into a little giggle gas. A complete system with a window switch will cost a little more than you had planned on the intake/exhaust but as long as the bottle isn't open and your foot on the gas it would not effect the milage and would give you something you could feel.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be easy with the recharge oil with the kn filters. The oil will collect on the maf sensor, cause problems.

Gears will be you best bang.

A good bang for the buck is 70mm truck throttle body with some linkage modification and a Crown Victoria upper plenum. You will need to swap your mustang butterfly linkage to the truck throttle body and maybe a slight modification for the crown vic upper. This is a slight improvement over the stock and the vic upper plenum being taller can be ported to further the improvements.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
Gears will you give you the biggest improvement. Period.
If that's what you are looking for then I'd say gears first. If you mostly drive around town, you MAY see an increase in miles per gallon. For example, you'll probaby be in 4th gear around town rather than 3rd gear as you normally were before the gear change.

I was still getting nearly 21 mpg with 4.30s

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Another alternative is swapping transmissions in favor of the t56 6 speed transmission with its real deep 1st gear and close ration gears and a 6th over drive gear. A rear gear swap might not be necessary going this route.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Another alternative is swapping transmissions in favor of the t56 6 speed transmission with its real deep 1st gear and close ration gears and a 6th over drive gear. A rear gear swap might not be necessary going this route.

I have a lot of fun with my wide ratio T56 and 4.10s.. First and second gear are 2.97 & 2.10 respectively..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a lot of fun with my wide ratio T56 and 4.10s.. First and second gear are 2.97 & 2.10 respectively..
I am afraid if a supercharger is gonna break the bank in my book a T56 would put it back together :) at least that is how it worked for me

OP
OP
M

macsnjets

Reaction score
Um I forgot to mention I have an automatic. If it was a weekend car, definitely I would have gone stick. Thank you all for your input. You’ve all given me lots to think about.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Since its an auto. I'd look into the j mod. Helps out those slushy shifts and extends the life of the transmission

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online