What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Today I nearly burned the car down but this time I literally... I took it out for a short drive just to get it up to temp and then park it with some fresh cardboard under it to see if the leak was gone. About 30 mins later my neighbor came over to ask me for some help with his garage door opener so went out to the garage to get my meter to find the garage was full of smoke. I opened the garage door and then the hood and I could see fire from under the trans area so I grabbed my fire ext and started shooting. Turns out the carboard I put under the car for some reason caught fire. I know at the very least the front air lines are gone which will make it interesting now to get under it to jack it up but I have not looked at it any further than just to cuss and do some clean up. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF me

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Today I nearly burned the car down but this time I literally... I took it out for a short drive just to get it up to temp and then park it with some fresh cardboard under it to see if the leak was gone. About 30 mins later my neighbor came over to ask me for some help with his garage door opener so went out to the garage to get my meter to find the garage was full of smoke. I opened the garage door and then the hood and I could see fire from under the trans area so I grabbed my fire ext and started shooting. Turns out the carboard I put under the car for some reason caught fire. I know at the very least the front air lines are gone which will make it interesting now to get under it to jack it up but I have not looked at it any further than just to cuss and do some clean up. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF me
Damn, that's no Bueno. Hope it's not real bad. Definitely keep us posted. Extinguisher clean up sucksss.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea this is going to fucking suck
ADBeiI4.jpg
So far I have only taken compressed air and a broom and given it a quick look. With a 3 min look there is some wiring on the pass side that melted maybe in contact with the header. Looks like the holley AFR harness at the very least is going to be replaced and the air lines. Shit its just going to suck to get under it now to even start cleaning up and get a look. Maybe tomorrow the rebuild begins, or I might sell out shave my balls and go buy a caddy...

Last edited:

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Nothing. My cars been in the shop for 2 days and I don't know when i'm getting it back.
Been there plenty man. Have barely drove mine the last year because every time it goes to the shop, it stays there for about 2 months. Having a fuel issue that I just can't seem to nail down.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Apparently, this morning a guy in a new Tacoma hit me and I didn’t realize it. Drove to work like usual and a deputy met me there to investigate. Never felt it.

Attachments

• CC7C2124-B8BF-4F5E-B544-86DA13DA9436.jpeg
    CC7C2124-B8BF-4F5E-B544-86DA13DA9436.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6

tinnocker

Reaction score
View attachment 13904
So far I have only taken compressed air and a broom and given it a quick look. With a 3 min look there is some wiring on the pass side that melted maybe in contact with the header. Looks like the holley AFR harness at the very least is going to be replaced and the air lines. Shit its just going to suck to get under it now to even start cleaning up and get a look. Maybe tomorrow the rebuild begins, or I might sell out shave my balls and go buy a caddy...
I feel sorry for you. Being a car nut all my life, we never completely get it like we want it.......but it seems like you were sooo close. About this time last year I had finished my project, a 1963 Willys pickup with a carbed 302 and Jeep 5 speed. I built the motor mounts and figured out how to get everything to work together. I did the body work, replaced part of the frame and even painted it a 2 tone flat army green and flat black fenders. It had an aftermarket ac and nice interior. I had taken a couple 25 mile trips in it without any problem. I drove it to the store one night, about 2 miles away and on the way home it started getting smoky inside. I had to roll down the windows to get some air but I was only about a block from home. I pulled into the carport with the engine still running and cut the switch and lights off and I could see a glow from under the dash. I jumped out to pull the battery cable....no luck, so by the time I could loosen the bolt it was flaming.....still under the dash. I put it out with bowls of water......the hose wouldn't reach it. I never figured out exactly where the electrical fire started and why it didn't trip the main fuse or any of the other fuses. I had to install all new Autometer gauges, new ac, another radio and repaint the interior dash and the cowl on the outside. About $1500 worth, not counting my labor. I had used Summit paint so I ordered another quart of paint...didn't match. At this point, I didn't care. So I know how you feel. That was it with the truck. After I fixed everything. I sold it. All the work I had put into it didn't matter. I hated that truck. I put it on Craig's list and I live in Georgia. A guy came from Kansas and bought it. He said he had been wanting one with a Ford engine and he was happy. I was happy to see him drive off in it.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I drove it in our local Christmas parade last year and it caught on fire about a week later.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the clean up started today with just trying to get it off the ground with the front aired out completely. Once it was up I blew out all the powder, thankfully it was a dry extinguisher so no corrosion problems but that stuff still sucks to clean up. It looks like some of the trans wiring fell/moved and made contact with the cat and once it was on fire then it melted the airlines for the front. Once they went the front fell down and then the cardboard under it caught fire and shortly after that I found it. There is a lot of melted wiring and the bad part is that the ecu wiring is up behind the motor at the firewall where I can hardly see it to diagnose exactly what needs to be replaced(probably all of it) let alone get tools up to fix it if I could see it. The only way to get access is going to be to pull the motor so I have made plans with my wrenching buddy and I am going to start the tear down tomorrow or the next day to have it ready for him saterday. Good news is it is all repairable and it doesn't look all that bad, I am just thankful I found it when I did a few more minutes and it might have been a completely different story. Not sure why the smoke detector never went off but that and the fire ext are getting an upgrade now.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
View attachment 13904

Wait..

You don’t shave your balls?

95opal

Reaction score
I really didnt do anything to the car but i did open an email and found the first prototype renderings for the wheels im having designed. Going to soften the spokes and some other small changes for the second prototype. New Legacy_5 spoke_19_10_11.5_ST_3pc rev4 4.JPGNew Legacy_5 spoke_19_10_11.5_ST_3pc rev4 2.JPG

joe65

Reaction score
the clean up started today with just trying to get it off the ground with the front aired out completely. Once it was up I blew out all the powder, thankfully it was a dry extinguisher so no corrosion problems but that stuff still sucks to clean up. It looks like some of the trans wiring fell/moved and made contact with the cat and once it was on fire then it melted the airlines for the front. Once they went the front fell down and then the cardboard under it caught fire and shortly after that I found it. There is a lot of melted wiring and the bad part is that the ecu wiring is up behind the motor at the firewall where I can hardly see it to diagnose exactly what needs to be replaced(probably all of it) let alone get tools up to fix it if I could see it. The only way to get access is going to be to pull the motor so I have made plans with my wrenching buddy and I am going to start the tear down tomorrow or the next day to have it ready for him saterday. Good news is it is all repairable and it doesn't look all that bad, I am just thankful I found it when I did a few more minutes and it might have been a completely different story. Not sure why the smoke detector never went off but that and the fire ext are getting an upgrade now.
you're making me realize i should upgrade my garage fire extinguisher also. Just incase.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I really didnt do anything to the car but i did open an email and found the first prototype renderings for the wheels im having designed. Going to soften the spokes and some other small changes for the second prototype. View attachment 13927View attachment 13929
I had been admiring some wheels similar to that prior to finding the ones I got. Nice

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Today I took our Opal Frost Mustang GT Convertible to a local Ford dealer. A very small dealer, but very considerate! Had the rear axle drained and new gear oil put in, had the PCV valve assembly replaced and had them put in a new Ford air filter!
Planning for the next project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online