What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hooked up the relay and power wire upgrade for the fuel pump . I guess when the dude pulled the T. rex pump out he never hooked it back up . Brand new 340LPh pump shouldn’t be falling off at all . Going to datalog it tomorrow and see . Airfuels been safe but started seeing a couple psi drop in pressure the other day . Back to the dyno in a week or so once I get the hi rev valve springs in .

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
There will be times it will trip when you start the car, FYA. Starters can sometimes pull up to 350A just depending on oil weight, compression ratio, rotating mass, ambient temp, etc. And there's also the resistance-induced voltage drop depending on battery setup/cable setup, etc.

Usually those types of breakers are meant for locking out alternators, fuse/relay boxes, PCMs, etc. for testing or just aggregate protection.

A few years ago I was scratching my head trying to figure out why I kept blowing 300A fuses on the line going from battery to the front of the car. Then I read the data sheet & graph that came with the starter, so I just eliminated the fuse. One of these days when things are finally sorted out after this engine swap I'll be adding a 500A fuse.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
We use a lot of them on heavy equipment with 24 volt system
They work good
Any shorts or glitch that breaker will pop

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Nice. But with it being 24V, the amperage requirement is then generally halved.
We had one guy cross wire the battery cables on a dozer
I'm glad we had that breaker on the dozer
Or the wiring would have been toast
I'm a firm believer in breakers fuses relays
Even adding to anything you don't want burnt to a crisp

joemomma

Reaction score
Drove mine to work today.

EDIT to add: changed the oil in it last week. It was in rough shape. Not sure how with as much as it leaks and burns. Switched from the Pennzoil that I can never find over to regular STP, which is about all the conventional that the local VatoZone carries.

joemomma

Reaction score
Drove it to work again today, hustling behind a S197 5.0 most of the way in on the highway. It was a good looking ride, CS that had been lowered and had some wheels on it. Sounded pretty good too. He was cooking pretty good, running 80 or so most of the way on the highway.

b1pig

Reaction score
Mind-f**king a fuel starvation issue.
Do you have a way to monitor the fuel pressure at more than one point in your system? In all of the Mind-F**ing, don't forget the relation of pressure vs volume.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
What does the datalog show? If this can be replicated at any time, do it, log it, fix it.

Data log suggests the pump is failing. Anything over part throttle shows a dip in fuel pressure and it sputters. Replacing the pump, strainer and fuel filter for now. Contemplating how to utilize a hydramat in my 94-97 tank without reinventing the wheel.

Stand by for reinvention of the wheel.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Data log suggests the pump is failing. Anything over part throttle shows a dip in fuel pressure and it sputters. Replacing the pump, strainer and fuel filter for now. Contemplating how to utilize a hydramat in my 94-97 tank without reinventing the wheel.

Stand by for reinvention of the wheel.
Must be dipping a lot to sputter. Does this happen under power or no-load as well? Not sure how a 94-97 tank is, but if I had to do mine ('02) I'd make my own hanger to support the pump and install the hydramat to the intake of the pump. I figured out what I'd need to do if my "test" failed.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Must be dipping a lot to sputter. Does this happen under power or no-load as well? Not sure how a 94-97 tank is, but if I had to do mine ('02) I'd make my own hanger to support the pump and install the hydramat to the intake of the pump. I figured out what I'd need to do if my "test" fa
Talked to Quantum Fuel today about my scenario and the starvation event at the track is what lead to the pumps failure.

The hydramat isn’t impossible in my tank but due to a narrow fuel hat, it would probably be a bitch. It would have to fit into this “basket” as well.

IMG_6195.jpeg

Edit: That being said, I think this may work..

weendoggy

Reaction score
Talked to Quantum Fuel today about my scenario and the starvation event at the track is what lead to the pumps failure.

The hydramat isn’t impossible in my tank but due to a narrow fuel hat, it would probably be a bitch. It would have to fit into this “basket” as well.

View attachment 25122

You may need the 16-125 mat if it's a press on like most pumps are. Not sure, but that's what I would need for my Deatschwerks pump. Don't worry about getting the mat in, it'll fold up easy enough to get through the hat-hole. That sump area looks like my Fox Body fuel tank on my Cobra. Mine has "prefabbed tubes", I don't have fuel starvation, and looks like this:

fueltanksump.JPG

fueltanksump-2.JPG

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score

View attachment 25122

Have you done the wiring upgrade and relay for your fuel pump ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online