What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It dried out enough today that I slapped the camera on it and took it out for a drive. I really do not open up the cut outs all that often but today I decided to enjoy them. 2 mins after they are open my radar detector starts to go off...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
look good mang!

I had a couple of wins today starting with I finally figured out what I needed to do to get my odometer working. I also swapped out the fuel pressure gauge for a boost gauge since I have not seen FP be any concern and I am starting to get into the boost area now. I got it out again today for a short drive and about half way through I realized that I had fixed all the interior rattles.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Do you feel a difference?

First full track today since changing the tranny fluid. All I can say is wow. Shifts seemed smoother...but more importantly, the tranny temp was way down. Previously my shifter lever was hot to the touch after a 20 min session. Now it just gets warm, but not scolding. Just a ball park guess, but I'd say the operating temp on the track dropped 10-15 degrees. Royal Purple for the win!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it had been raining for a while so I had not driven it, so today I took it up to the hardware store and took the long way home. The tell-tale tack says I took it up to 5600 rpm and all I could think the whole time is that it was a LOT of fun but I am going to need better tires because 2nd gear while its fun spinning ain't winnin. It also occured to me that it would be time to test the line lock if it were time to swap them. Any black friday tire sales?

joe65

Reaction score
Swapped out shifters tonight and drained and replaced trans fluid. Put the TDI ax in. The one it came with I’m not sure who made it. Too stiff. Oh looks like it’s a pro 5.0 just did a pic search while posting.

Attachments

• 01D3A24F-98AB-472F-A056-2BDD0E8696C6.jpeg
    01D3A24F-98AB-472F-A056-2BDD0E8696C6.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 8

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have had a leak on my car for some time. I thought it was the rear main seal till I had the trans off and noticed that the oil was actually coming from the top passenger side of the motor by the valve covers and just draining down the back where I could not see it. It looked like the valve cover gasket was leaking so I replaced it and then started cursing when I saw there was still a leak after the trans was back on and rolling. I thought maybe it was the rear main after all but I was able to feel that the back of the motor behind the head was wet again. I was afraid I needed a new head gasket and was planning on taking them off and sending them off to the machine shop to have the valves lapped and gone through as they are 12 years old now. I also considered while they were off that I might etch a custom design on the valve covers with the cnc and I was almost looking forward to that. Today I took the upper off and was able to see that my coolant cross over pipe was leaking at the back and needed a 1/3 turn and then I had to decide if I really wanted to take the heads off and do what I had planned since it might not be the problem. After realizing I would have to mess with the stage 8 locking fasteners on the headers and then drain and fill the coolant again I said lets see if it has no leaks now. I didn't get a chance to test it out yet, that will be tomorrow.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Swapped out shifters tonight and drained and replaced trans fluid. Put the TDI ax in. The one it came with I’m not sure who made it. Too stiff. Oh looks like it’s a pro 5.0 just did a pic search while posting.
How do you like the Tri ax? I thought it was too notchy.

joe65

Reaction score
How do you like the Tri ax? I thought it was too notchy.
I like it better than the pro 5.0 for sure. The Tri ax has a taller stem too so the shift lever can be mounted higher which i like. It is still a bit notchy as you say but its just better for me. I got it cheap so i might switch over the mgw that everyone raves about at some point.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I like it better than the pro 5.0 for sure. The Tri ax has a taller stem too so the shift lever can be mounted higher which i like. It is still a bit notchy as you say but its just better for me. I got it cheap so i might switch over the mgw that everyone raves about at some point.
How old was the Pro 5.0? Yeah having the shifter sit higher was a plus, I hated the really low handle on the pro 5.0 so I switched to a tri ax handle. I’ve never driven a car with an Mgw so I can’t speak for them but I’ve heard the same. I guess if you have the cash what do you have to lose.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I drove it today. I didn't have anyplace I needed to go to but it was a beautiful day in the mid/high 60s and I wanted to hear it and feel it. I used it as an excuse just to get it up to temp and them put it back with a fresh piece of cardboard under it to see if there was still a leak. 2 hours later its still dry so I am hopeful.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I drove it today. I didn't have anyplace I needed to go to but it was a beautiful day in the mid/high 60s and I wanted to hear it and feel it. I used it as an excuse just to get it up to temp and them put it back with a fresh piece of cardboard under it to see if there was still a leak. 2 hours later its still dry so I am hopeful.
and then the next morning there still was a small puddle. Not as big as before but it was there and driving me nuts. If I jamn my hand into the back of the pcv/head area where I can't really see I can feel a small amount of oil pooling. I think its the gasket I made from rtv on the valley that is leaking as it looks like it is coming out from under the lower. I have a new gasket kit set to transfer to my local vatozone tomorrow. I will be using rtv again on the front/back valley area but the lower/head gasket and the upper/lower gasket is due to be replaced. I got the upper off now and needless to say now the 2nd time this week I can do it in about 30 mins.

tinnocker

Reaction score
and then the next morning there still was a small puddle. Not as big as before but it was there and driving me nuts. If I jamn my hand into the back of the pcv/head area where I can't really see I can feel a small amount of oil pooling. I think its the gasket I made from rtv on the valley that is leaking as it looks like it is coming out from under the lower. I have a new gasket kit set to transfer to my local vatozone tomorrow. I will be using rtv again on the front/back valley area but the lower/head gasket and the upper/lower gasket is due to be replaced. I got the upper off now and needless to say now the 2nd time this week I can do it in about 30 mins.
I feel your pain. My 94 GT with 75,000 miles leaves it's mark. The car was bone stock when I got it and it showed no sign of being driven hard. I am having a shop do a head/cam/intake swap on it at a speedshop in Georgia. The owner said a fox body or sn95 that didn't leave a puddle has no oil in it. He says he can fix it....we'll see.

95opal

Reaction score
Id suggest using the right stuff instead of rtv on the china wall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99