What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

07GtS197

Reaction score
TMoss ported lower came back this week. I installed it last night! Water neck leaked with the Motorcraft gasket. Grabbed a Fel-Pro and installed that. Leaked. I think the water neck might be a little warped. Reinstalled with silicone. Waiting for it to dry now...

View attachment 23570
I had that same problem with my 87 Grand Marquis. It seems to be a common problem. A suggestion was to put a file on it but I haven’t bothered with it yet.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I had that same problem with my 87 Grand Marquis. It seems to be a common problem. A suggestion was to put a file on it but I haven’t bothered with it yet.
"Max... I installed it last night! Water neck leaked with the Motorcraft gasket. Grabbed a Fel-Pro and installed that. Leaked. I think the water neck might be a little warped. Reinstalled with silicone. Waiting for it to dry now..."

I've always taken a file to them, even when new, and check manifold as well. That way I know it's o.k. Not a fan of silicone but use Permatex High-Tack with good results.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Got up to almost 50 today so I took advantage and chipped a little more away at it. I just need to connect the tps on the top of the motor and I moved all the transmission wires that caused the fire to begin with so that they will not cross the exhaust. It still needs to run by the exhaust so I covered the wires in both a fiberglass heat covering as well as an aluminized fire protection and I am hard mounting them every 8-10 inches.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After a lot of thought(because I didn't want to) I realized it was a better idea to move the trans wiring so that it would not cross the exhaust. It has been a lot more work to reroute it so that it goes through the interior and now exits near the engine ecu wiring on the other side of the exhaust to prevent this from happening again.
29wA9CE.jpg
Learnings from this is that techflex looks nice, but is flamable. To fix my obsession of having my wiring covered I decided to go with both a fiberglass fire wrap as well as an aluminized heat wrap anywhere the wiring is close to the exhaust.

GtGiNOd.jpg

other things I have learned from this is to have the wiring hard mounted as often as possible. Between remembering my old wiring, finding the proper stock wires, wrapping(2x) and labelling and hard mounting it is taking for ever but I am determined to make sure this does not happen again.

weendoggy

Reaction score
ttocs: Them are burnt crispy. Just use some duct tape, I hear it works on anything! :p One thing I always do is route planning, especially around the "hot spots". I know I needed to pay attention on my swap wiring for that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ya know I thought to myself that the copper is still good so.....
ttocs: Them are burnt crispy. Just use some duct tape, I hear it works on anything! :p One thing I always do is route planning, especially around the "hot spots". I know I needed to pay attention on my swap wiring for that.
I feel stupid now of course as I took all the same care I am taking on the wiring now when I did my fuel lines but for these last 4 wires that I needed to finish up to try out the T56 swap and finally enjoy the boost they were just not as important. Ya live and learn

weendoggy

Reaction score
ya know I thought to myself that the copper is still good so.....

I feel stupid now of course as I took all the same care I am taking on the wiring now when I did my fuel lines but for these last 4 wires that I needed to finish up to try out the T56 swap and finally enjoy the boost they were just not as important. Ya live and learn
Good thing is not a lot of damage and you can fix the issue. It could've been a lot worse. All good and you can put that behind you. :cool:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good thing is not a lot of damage and you can fix the issue. It could've been a lot worse. All good and you can put that behind you. :cool:
I was lucky as fuck to be honest. If my neighbor friend had not stopped by to ask for a favor there is a very good chance that not only the car but the whole house could have gone up and with mom in a wheel chair/mobility issues, it just could have gone so much worse. When I found it there as a thick layer of smoke about 8 ft high and the fire was still live/growing. It made us upgrade all our existing fire ext, add 3 more and certainly replace the smoke detector in the garage that was not working....

b1pig

Reaction score
Maybe we should have a thread of "what did you NOT do to your car today".....

1676045865917.png

I guess weather only works on weekends.
Every weekend I've had with no extra work details, the weather has been complete crap. Looks like the tread continues.

I've had a new pair of speakers, a 4ch amp and a sub sitting on my floor since Thanksgiving weekend... plus I have to replace the two tension springs on my top. I only want to take the car apart once.

Oh yea... also do some finish welding on the exhaust. LOL.... I can't win. :confused:

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
I also noted that my exhaust tips were in need of some attention. I'll work on that this weekend hopefully. Time to bust out the random orbital.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Holy smokes, I found brand new power steering pumps for 1996 - 2010... and they're aluminum!

I think these might be the only people that make such a thing. If you try buying the traditional cast iron pumps, every single one of them is remanufactured. But not these!

Anyways, I bought two of them sumbitches. Bought the stuff to convert everything to AN connections and began the install today. Plan is to bleed the system tomorrow and fire her up and hopefully this eradicates that damn groaning noise this thing has had for a little while now.

Attachments

• 20230210_095742.jpg
    20230210_095742.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230210_095749.jpg
    20230210_095749.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230210_120005.jpg
    20230210_120005.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230210_121404.jpg
    20230210_121404.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230210_160534.jpg
    20230210_160534.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230210_160541.jpg
    20230210_160541.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 10

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I installed the speed sensor and wired it and the reverse lock out solenoid up yesterday but at 41 in the garage today it is just a tad cooler than I like it to be. Tomorrow is supposed to get over 50 but that has been the report for the past week now.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Success! Pump is quiet as a church mouse, but now I think one of my idlers is already showing its age (and the motor is essentially brand new). Ooof!

Gonna replace an idler tomorrow and see what happens. Power steering is good though. Butter smooth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online