What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

b1pig

Reaction score
Due to having to take a day out of work today, I decided to pull the mustang in the garage and replace the broken tension spring on my top and clip the drain flaps up.
Well. The short of it.... this job was an absolute pain in the butt. I have not cursed at a car in a very, very long time. It was quite refreshing.

_nc_ohc=CCEdbfA709kAX9-Rvup&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

QwF7BYpgH7EXcMMVI-K3WUtb_JV&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=TK_OxgtmLMkAX997zaM&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=203wF_C_8PUAX-YrnxD&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

After I successfully replaced this broken spring.... I declared the non-broken spring to be perfect.
Got the drain flap pinned into place.
Next time, I hope to pull the door panels and adjust all 4 windows.

Snorky

Reaction score
Due to having to take a day out of work today, I decided to pull the mustang in the garage and replace the broken tension spring on my top and clip the drain flaps up.
Well. The short of it.... this job was an absolute pain in the butt. I have not cursed at a car in a very, very long time. It was quite refreshing.

View attachment 24530

View attachment 24531

View attachment 24532

View attachment 24533

After I successfully replaced this broken spring.... I declared the non-broken spring to be perfect.
Drain flap? I'm trying to learn about the tops since this is my first vert and I need to do a top adjustment

maillemaker

Reaction score

View attachment 24530

View attachment 24531

View attachment 24532

View attachment 24533

I would like to know more about the drain flap also. Just bought my first convertible.

b1pig

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the drain flap also. Just bought my first convertible.
Drain flap? I'm trying to learn about the tops since this is my first vert and I need to do a top adjustment

Borrowed this image from LMR since I didn't take one...
rtible-top-kit-w-defrost-saddle-tan-95-98_5014f5f3.jpg

The drain flap (my words, prob not accurate...) is the black strips on each rear side right behind the rear windows. The bottom edge of the top material is stapled to a bar that clamps the top firmly to the back of the body. The drain flaps are sewn/welded to the side of the top material and is then clipped over the beltline of the cabin and finally covered by the belt rail trim.

The flap forms a channel for rain water to run into the rear quarter panel gap and OUT of the car rather and pool up and then run into the rear seat pan and trunk.
This is a sort of close-up on my car with the flap clipped into place. I lost one of the six clips, so I dug out an old speaker screw clippy thing. Worked fine for me. LOL

_nc_ohc=dvfuMYp5gF8AX-cBKtc&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Snorky

Reaction score
Borrowed this image from LMR since I didn't take one...
View attachment 24535

The drain flap (my words, prob not accurate...) is the black strips on each rear side right behind the rear windows. The bottom edge of the top material is stapled to a bar that clamps the top firmly to the back of the body. The drain flaps are sewn/welded to the side of the top material and is then clipped over the beltline of the cabin and finally covered by the belt rail trim.

The flap forms a channel for rain water to run into the rear quarter panel gap and OUT of the car rather and pool up and then run into the rear seat pan and trunk.
This is a sort of close-up on my car with the flap clipped into place. I lost one of the six clips, so I dug out an old speaker screw clippy thing. Worked fine for me. LOL

View attachment 24536

Hope that helps.
That works great, thanks for the explanation

weendoggy

Reaction score
Am I the only person who expected to see the second photo just a pic of some newspaper laid down on top of the leak on the floor?

:D
No, I was expecting absorbent or even a pigmat (that's what I use). I guess it was time to just fix it. o_O

weendoggy

Reaction score
.... this job was an absolute pain in the butt. I have not cursed at a car in a very, very long time. It was quite refreshing.
Confused, was it the PITB or the cursing that was refreshing. Oooohhh, maybe both! ;)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Am I the only person who expected to see the second photo just a pic of some newspaper laid down on top of the leak on the floor?

:D

No, I was expecting absorbent or even a pigmat (that's what I use). I guess it was time to just fix it. o_O

You’re lucky it wasn’t me you found on the floor. Last time I had a water leak after a hard freeze the block had split.

b1pig

Reaction score
The newspaper was a loose reference to Adam Sandler's "Big Daddy"... :p

Adam.z.g

Reaction score
Replaced the license plate lights and trunk struts and installed a new spoiler. One of the corners isn’t quite sitting to the trunk. Might need to reinstall later with fresh 3m and try again. Picture of wing was before installing at all but the front right corner dosent want to lay flat and it only utilizes rear bolt hole.A94A4917-1A52-4B85-86A6-B666EA6CCA22.jpegC226FEC8-E87D-49BD-82AB-0F8C4412EC94.jpeg31CA57AC-F72F-405E-AEEF-ED1BEB45521A.jpeg

maillemaker

Reaction score
Replaced the license plate lights and trunk struts and installed a new spoiler. One of the corners isn’t quite sitting to the trunk. Might need to reinstall later with fresh 3m and try again. Picture of wing was before installing at all but the front right corner dosent want to lay flat and it only utilizes rear bolt hole.View attachment 24593View attachment 24594View attachment 24592
Hey, where'd ya get the license plate lights? Mine are cracked.

95GTS302

Reaction score
Had our first really nice weather day here yesterday so me and the little one gave the mustang its first cleaning since purchasing it a month ago… and she had to wash her mustang too
A16547FF-4EA8-4319-BFBF-C0D44895F964.jpeg
1996B2CA-47A8-4E3C-BF9D-47EF65888B4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Shocker6

Reaction score
Finally moved out of the horror house into the safe confines of my fiancée’s place and just had to….it was just such an eyesore….such a wretched look first thing in the morning, I just pulled the trigger and coilovers be damned, let there be chrome!

Attachments

• 516D8BAA-B4A1-49E1-952D-659B244CB81C.jpeg
    516D8BAA-B4A1-49E1-952D-659B244CB81C.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 17

joemomma

Reaction score
Pneumatic safety lesson learned last night:

I'm rebuilding (new seals/boots/etc) the Cobra calipers I bought for the '94. Turns out you can use compressed air to blow the pistons out for repairs. Watched a video on it last week, and last night had some time to mess with it before dinner. Turns out, 90PSI or so will launch a 38mm caliper piston with great velocity. Also turns out, if your pinkie is in the wrong spot, that piston will smash said pinkie between the opposite side of the caliper and the piston.

What pissed me off was that the video I watched last week specifically mentioned this fact, and I just forgot it. Sucks getting old. Also, turns out 90PSI will send any leftover brake fluid in every direction, despite the fact that you know you cleaned it well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online