What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

maillemaker

Reaction score
A tiny thing, but my new-to-me Mustang had no light bulbs in the sockets for the hood or trunk. Now they do and work fine.

Also, thanks to a facebook Mustang contact, I got 2 of those spear-head nuts that hold the convertible top well liner in place, and I have installed them where the 2 were missing.

Aside from the exhaust, this car really only needs little things here and there done.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Are you monitoring oil temps in the diff as well? I would think yes??
The temp switch screwed into the diff cover is set to 190*F so it'll activate automatically, but on the same circuit I have a manual override push button that I'm gonna wire up somewhere in the dash. I think a bit later after the car is sorted out (taking it through German inspection early next week actually) I'll add a temp sensor wired up to a dash gauge and I think I'll also screw in a 1/4 NPT fused sight glass into the diff just a coont hair below the fill level line. Cuz you never know.

weendoggy

Reaction score
The temp switch screwed into the diff cover is set to 190*F so it'll activate automatically, but on the same circuit I have a manual override push button that I'm gonna wire up somewhere in the dash. I think a bit later after the car is sorted out (taking it through German inspection early next week actually) I'll add a temp sensor wired up to a dash gauge and I think I'll also screw in a 1/4 NPT fused sight glass into the diff just a coont hair below the fill level line. Cuz you never know.
Now I have to ask...do you need a degree to drive that thing? ;)

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Not to drive, but to do maintenance.... well now that's a different story.

Whenever I do rotate back to America, I think I just want to pull it into a Ford dealership and tell them I think there's a problem that I'd like them to help me find. Just to see the service manager's reaction after they drive it into one of their service bays and start looking around. I'll be quietly waiting in the lobby watching local cable TV and sipping on their instant coffee.... if they even still give free coffee that is.

b1pig

Reaction score
Can't get a break from the weather. Seems it only storms on weekends lately. All week days have been great for the last two months. Every Fri/Sat/Sun thunderstorms.
I did manage to get the car into the garage. Had high hopes of getting things buttoned up on the car. Nope. Thunderstorms.

Still.
I got my welder out and welded the flange pipes on. I had only clamped them in place as a "test" last summer. This morning, I welded each pipe in place. I have to say it was my worst welding job ever. EVER. The welder didn't want to cooperate. Having that Lincoln feed problem because the dial knob isn't fully contacting inside the box. Had to get my ADHD 12 year old to keep pushing the knob down so it would make contact and feed. ADHD kid kept hitting the wire feed knob which works pperfectly. One second, I'm frying bacon, the next, looks like a firework has gone off under the car because he bumped the knob. Obviously, welds look like absolute crap. But. The metal is certainly glued together. I just gooped from exhaust sealer on the welds and put the stainless clamps back on. Covers up the nasty welds and will help seal the pipe. Pretty sure there are one or two burn-thrus that I could not close back up.

I'll call it a success. The exhaust is realigned as it should be. The pipes are no longer rattling against the frame. Now its just the Flowmasters song instead of a backdrop of rythmless, spastic, snarelike taps to throw off the exhaust note.

I also tried to clean the rear seat up. I used two different upholstery/carpet cleaners that I've had good experience with. No go on the rear seat. It is badly stained up. Not sure if its from a previous leak from the convertible top pump or something else. Sad thing is, I prefer the cloth, but I've only found a couple of suppliers if Saddle cloth upholstery. Almost $1000 for front and rear seats.

Maybe I need to sell a kidney or something.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Today I pulled the passenger front wheel and the wheel well liner and replaced the rotted vacuum hose running from the vacuum purge solenoid to the canister.

IMG_7707.JPG

maillemaker

Reaction score
We’re you getting fuel vapor smell inside the car?
No. I think the line was still capable of holding vacuum, but it was incredibly rotted.

Strangely, I could not get the purge solenoid to hold vacuum from either direction, which tells me it's bad. But I was getting full engine vacuum on the upstream side of it, and none on the other side of it, so it seems to be stopping the engine vacuum. Maybe it has to be energized to stop vacuum. I never detected any vacuum downstream though. I had my daughter fire it up while I watched a vacuum gauge at the canister end of the new hose - nothing.

I think I'll try checking for vacuum downstream and then unplugging the solenoid electrically and see if I get vacuum then.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Can't get a break from the weather. Seems it only storms on weekends lately. All week days have been great for the last two months. Every Fri/Sat/Sun thunderstorms.
I did manage to get the car into the garage. Had high hopes of getting things buttoned up on the car. Nope. Thunderstorms.

Still.
I got my welder out and welded the flange pipes on. I had only clamped them in place as a "test" last summer. This morning, I welded each pipe in place. I have to say it was my worst welding job ever. EVER. The welder didn't want to cooperate. Having that Lincoln feed problem because the dial knob isn't fully contacting inside the box. Had to get my ADHD 12 year old to keep pushing the knob down so it would make contact and feed. ADHD kid kept hitting the wire feed knob which works pperfectly. One second, I'm frying bacon, the next, looks like a firework has gone off under the car because he bumped the knob. Obviously, welds look like absolute crap. But. The metal is certainly glued together. I just gooped from exhaust sealer on the welds and put the stainless clamps back on. Covers up the nasty welds and will help seal the pipe. Pretty sure there are one or two burn-thrus that I could not close back up.

I'll call it a success. The exhaust is realigned as it should be. The pipes are no longer rattling against the frame. Now its just the Flowmasters song instead of a backdrop of rythmless, spastic, snarelike taps to throw off the exhaust note.

I also tried to clean the rear seat up. I used two different upholstery/carpet cleaners that I've had good experience with. No go on the rear seat. It is badly stained up. Not sure if its from a previous leak from the convertible top pump or something else. Sad thing is, I prefer the cloth, but I've only found a couple of suppliers if Saddle cloth upholstery. Almost $1000 for front and rear seats.

Maybe I need to sell a kidney or something.

ADHD built my car (five times)

Hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah