What do I look for when checking out a car for sale?

PinkieT

Reaction score
May sell my Mopar (anybody want a 70 Six Pack Road Runner?) and buy a 98 Cobra convertible to go with my wife's GT. When looking at a SN95, what should I watch out for? Right now looking at two cars on line, roughly same price, same mileage (around 60k), five speed, minor mods including 4.10 gears. One is lowered and has CC plates. Other has side exhaust. Clear Carfaxes. Anything I should watch out for that may be missed on a test drive?

Thanks!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 96-98 Motion contol runners are ready to be cleaned (irmc intake runner motion control). They gum up completely around 80k. These things are sandwiched between the intake and heads. Super easy to service, but you be buying new gaskets. Not really a set back, but something to look forward too.

An issue with the vehicle's anti theft sticker dub "pats". It tends to be goofy and will not let the car start. Any SCT tuner can turn this function off.

The fuel system for the 98's are by thier self and very well known. Im not 100% here, but the knowledge should chime in.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I had an independent repair shop do a thorough precheck on a car I bought online with the owners permission of course...it was worth it to me.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I had an independent repair shop do a thorough precheck on a car I bought online with the owners permission of course...it was worth it to me.

I try and do that when I can, but one car is north of Detroit, the other west of Philly. I'm in Cleveland. The problem is finding a shop out of town I can trust.

chris91

Reaction score
Check for rust!! The frame rails like to rot and back in the trunk pull the plastics away from the sides and check down in the pockets of the quarter panels. I had a 94 that looked mint and it ended up having rust down there.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about I save you the trouble and just trade you my 03 GT and my garage full of parts for it for your Road Runner...:laugh:

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
How about I save you the trouble and just trade you my 03 GT and my garage full of parts for it for your Road Runner...:laugh:

Does one of the boxes of parts come filled with a wad of portraits of dead presidents? :eek:

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does one of the boxes of parts come filled with a wad of portraits of dead presidents? :eek:

HAHA if only I had one of those boxes! I wish my car was worth the same amount of money that Ive put into it!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
HAHA if only I had one of those boxes! I wish my car was worth the same amount of money that Ive put into it!

Mine is a real factory six pack car, rust free from Texas, 4 speed car now with a Tremec, hydraulic clutch, disk brakes, and more. Not numbers matching. I would have made money on it had I sold it before the 500 hp engine rebuild, new exhaust, and new clutch I put in last year. Now, I'll be happy to break even.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ask the owner where he parks it most of the time and check to see if there's leaks in that area. It may not leak while on the test drive but sitting in a driveway can be another story.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a real factory six pack car, rust free from Texas, 4 speed car now with a Tremec, hydraulic clutch, disk brakes, and more. Not numbers matching. I would have made money on it had I sold it before the 500 hp engine rebuild, new exhaust, and new clutch I put in last year. Now, I'll be happy to break even.

My uncle had a 70 road runner that he bought new. Dark green 383 4 speed. Pretty basic car, but my dad remembers it well. He was 12 when my uncle bought it in 70 and it made a pretty big impact on him. So we're in search of one to park next to our 68 Charger one day...

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Ask the owner where he parks it most of the time and check to see if there's leaks in that area. It may not leak while on the test drive but sitting in a driveway can be another story.

Thanks! Great suggestion.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
My uncle had a 70 road runner that he bought new. Dark green 383 4 speed. Pretty basic car, but my dad remembers it well. He was 12 when my uncle bought it in 70 and it made a pretty big impact on him. So we're in search of one to park next to our 68 Charger one day...

If you had what I was looking for a partial trade would be possible. You are close, too!

Mustanger

Reaction score
I try and do that when I can, but one car is north of Detroit, the other west of Philly. I'm in Cleveland. The problem is finding a shop out of town I can trust.

I was in Calif & the car was in Georgia!....I had an internet friend drive 120 miles to check it out & take it to a well rated shop to be inspected...Never have met that friend in person yet...and I compensated him for his time & expenses. The old fnsweet was the King of websites for being family! Another fnsweeter kept the car for a MONTH at his work, (Ford Dealership in Kentucky or Tennessee, I forget) until the hurricanes subsided & the truck could pick it up. There are good people out there..

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I was in Calif & the car was in Georgia!....I had an internet friend drive 120 miles to check it out & take it to a well rated shop to be inspected...Never have met that friend in person yet...and I compensated him for his time & expenses. The old fnsweet was the King of websites for being family! Another fnsweeter kept the car for a MONTH at his work, (Ford Dealership in Kentucky or Tennessee, I forget) until the hurricanes subsided & the truck could pick it up. There are good people out there..

Hadn't thought of being on the requesting end. My brother and I checked out a Barracuda 340 bracket racer a few years ago for a guy from a Mopar site we never met . He really had to twist our arms to go look at a survivor race car :). I plan to test drive a local car (coupe) at a dealer this weekend, and if I like driving it as much as I think I will I'll see about finding a member to check out a car for me.

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX...seriously saved me from making 2 huge mistakes before I purchased my 98. Dude had a 89 hatch on CL for $3500...said car only had 96k miles....odometer rolled over giving the illusion of 96k but really had 196k.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX...seriously saved me from making 2 huge mistakes before I purchased my 98. Dude had a 89 hatch on CL for $3500...said car only had 96k miles....odometer rolled over giving the illusion of 96k but really had 196k.

Did just that. The one I really liked is on the 6th owner, had been a leased car, had been repossessed, and was in a "mild to moderate" accident, rear ending the car in front. Well worth the $20 fee to find all that out.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
My road runner is sold. New owner is local, is going to do a full rotisserie restoration, said I could visit it anytime and can take it for a drive when he is done. I'm happy it went to a good home. My hunt for a new toy is more serious than ever!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99