What Do You guys think?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I currently have a full bolt on, 97 GT, automatic.

I have a Vortech SQ Trim Mongoose Kit waiting to be installed.

Today, I went to the mustang shop by me who will be doing the installation, and talked to him about what i want to do with my car and such.

I explained to him i thought about doing some blower cams and a Livernois PI Intake Adaptor Kit. He told me that at the most i will see 20rwhp from both of these and he honestly didn't think it would be worth the money....I thought that a set of blower cams alone would yield close to 30rwhp, yet another 15ishrwhp from the intake swap???

I am just looking for some feedback from guys who have done either of these mods to their NON PI heads and to see if it is actually worth doing or not?? Thanks guys

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
20 sounds a lil low to me but I don't know much about 4.6's. It just sounds like you could put down anywhere between 30-50 depending on a tune.

rgs

Reaction score
if you dont have pi heads thats your huge restriction. and probably the reason why you wouldnt see huge gains

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
rgs said:
if you dont have pi heads thats your huge restriction. and probably the reason why you wouldnt see huge gains

PI heads aren't huge restrictions...read the stickies up top for lots of info explaining why.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97stanger said:
I currently have a full bolt on, 97 GT, automatic.

I have a Vortech SQ Trim Mongoose Kit waiting to be installed.

Today, I went to the mustang shop by me who will be doing the installation, and talked to him about what i want to do with my car and such.

I explained to him i thought about doing some blower cams and a Livernois PI Intake Adaptor Kit. He told me that at the most i will see 20rwhp from both of these and he honestly didn't think it would be worth the money....I thought that a set of blower cams alone would yield close to 30rwhp, yet another 15ishrwhp from the intake swap???

I am just looking for some feedback from guys who have done either of these mods to their NON PI heads and to see if it is actually worth doing or not?? Thanks guys

What shop was this? There aren't any shops in South Jersey that are up to par on Modulars. Thats why i'm having my engine built by Steen in VA...
you will get atleast 40rwhp from the intake and cams on a NA car let alone a blown car.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I went to Outrageous Mustang, they used to be located in Jackson, but are now transfering to Lakewood...the guy was really good and knew what he was talking about, but what he said there threw me off....i agree with you, i expected closer to 30-40rwhp gain than a 10-15rwhp gain...but if you guys think its definately going to get me that kind of gain i still plan on doing the intake and cams!

NORTON98

Reaction score
I get the same response from my local mustang shop too. And then I come onto this forum and I hear different.

I ask my local shop how much ill yield from a livernois PI intake swap...

he said like 7 hp at the most....

I was like wtf(in my head)

Its kind of dissapointing too because they obviously are pretty smart about mustangs...

I just dont get it!? whos wrong the shop guy, or this forum?

Mike

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NORTON98 said:
I get the same response from my local mustang shop too. And then I come onto this forum and I hear different.

I ask my local shop how much ill yield from a livernois PI intake swap...

he said like 7 hp at the most....

I was like wtf(in my head)

Its kind of dissapointing too because they obviously are pretty smart about mustangs...

I just dont get it!? whos wrong the shop guy, or this forum?

Mike

There have been dozens of dyno sheets posted over the last 5-6 years showing the pi intake gains 13-18 rwhp on an n/a car...and adding the pi cams adds another 15rwhp...BUT the main factor isn't the 15 hp gain but the ability to breathe past 4500rpms where it choked off before giving much improved top end power.
Just because someone is a good mechanic doesn't mean they know shit about aftermarket parts. My good friend is a Master Ford Tech and knows alot about 5.0's and there aftermarket because thats what he has and he can build modulars all day long but when he needs info on aftermarket modular stuff he calls me...not because i'm a mechanic but because i have been involved with these engines for over 10 years. I have seen what works and what doesn't...these forums are amazing because of the info you can learn and share with others.

S

scarface

Are these the same doushebags that said you wouldnt see more than 300 WHP with your combo? We have talked about this before. How would you only see 20 WHP with cams and an upgraded intake? The cams are your decision, however I saw a big SOTP difference with the PI intake on my car WITHOUT the adapter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online