What does ABS have to do with the cooling fan in my 95 GT?

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
I've recently bought this replacement fan:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-dualfan-wshroud1.html

I was being foolish and didn't read as much on it as I should have. But now that I have it I notice it only has two wires coming off the motor. The stock wiring harness has three. As I looked deeper into all this and come to find out based on some questions on the sellers page that this fan is only for Mustangs without ABS, apparently no ABS means your car has a two wire harness and with ABS means your car has three.

Quote from the website:
1994-1996 V8 Mustang GT's equipped with ABS will require some modifications.
and:
This Mishimoto High Flow 14 in. Fan w/ Aluminum Shroud is specifically designed for 94-96 V8 Mustangs without ABS. We have not tested this kit on an ABS equipped model as it requires modification to the fan & shroud assembly. The harness does not come with an adapter for the (3) prong harness.

I may sound dumb but I thought ABS stood for antilock breaking system, or something close to that. What the hell does my fan have to do with my brakes? I've got a schematic I'm looking at the has wiring for the fan. Black is ground obviously, the red wire goes through and EDF relay and the Orange/Blue wire goes though an HEDF relay. What is an EDF and HEDF relay? I remember reading somewhere that the fan has to speeds so I'm assuming one is low speed and the other is high speed.

Basically the crux of all this is can I still use this fan? Will it fit mechanically and if it does how should I wire it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The fan has two speeds which is why it has 3 wires from the factory. Shouldn’t have anything to do with the abs though.

The only reason and would affect anything is if it’s big enough to hit the abs pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the same fan and prior to installing the holley efi I had wired up a relay to work for this but can't remember how I did it off the top of my head now. IIRC the three wires are just a high speed wire, low speed and then a ground. Pretty sure I wired it up so that the high speed wire was to 87 on the relay, and the low speed was on 87a and 85, Ground pin 86 and then use pin 30 as the + output to the fan and just wire the ground wire around the relay to the ground on the fan. Now that I think about this in my head it doesn't seem right though. Worst case scenario you can get a fan control module https://www.google.com/search?q=aut...0j69i57j0l4.8363j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

BigBore96

Reaction score
If the plug doesnt fit Id pull the wires out. Research or trial test which one is for high speed. Plug it in and ground the fan wire at the ecm that way its always on with the key. Youre in texas im assuming. It wont have any ill effects and you wont have to worry about if your high or low speed is working correctly.

And the reference to the abs is for physical fitment. My car doesnt use abs as its a 96 body but all wiring is from my 98. Which the 98 has 4 channel abs so its totally different so i cant plug it in. I havent gotten around to switching my lines to allow me to use my 4 channel abs unit. But i can tell you my aftermarket radiator fits ridiculous tight by the abs and i had to slight move the fan towards the drivers side.

Mustanger

Reaction score
My 94 Gt has the ABS & I know there is a hydraulic line junction block down by the fan shroud close in there that maybe interferes a tiny bit with your fan?? Those are the lines I intercepted to run my line lock...would be minor if this is the case I bet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online