What else would I need for a vortech V3 Si trim?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I found the kit I want too get and am just waiting for him to get back into town Friday to get me some pics. I have a few questions...

1. What else will I need to change/upgrade for this? I already have an AFM power pipe and a lightning maf so I assume those should be good to swap over since the kit comes with a power pipe as well?

2. I am currently running 24 lb injectors and a 255 lph fuel pump so are those ok?
3. Is a trickflow stage1 cam ok for supercharging or is there something that would be better?
4. The head unit is satin finish and I would like it either polished or black. Anyone know of a place that can do this and how much do they charge? I also am not real big on the look of the ceramic coating on the power pipe is there a performance loss by powdercoating it?
5. What size TB?
6. anything else I might be missing?

I think that's it fer now....

kb1982

Reaction score
Here is the problem with superchargers. Eventually you are gonna spend 70 dollars and drop down pulley size for more. Its just to easy to resist lol.
2: Fueling is is your friend. Here is the formula to figure out what size pump u need. Optimal GPH = (Max. HP x BSFC) / 6
Typical BSFC is .5 lbs for naturally aspirated and .6 to .75 for forced induction. (450x.6)/6= 45gph. Now just convert it to liters and you get 170.344 lph. You need to remember that usually are rated for a given amount of flow at a certain psi, raise the fuel pressure and your flow will drop. 24 lb injectors Here is a good link to help determine injector size needed. just remember .6 to .75 for your force induction engine. http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php You can make injectors think they are bigger by bumping up fuel pressure, and that link has the conversion for that to, but 24lb injectors are too small. Run lean and you will burn up a piston.
3: A blower specific cam would be best suited for the engine. Naturally aspirated cams tend to have more overlap in them, which means both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. The intake stays open longer to get more air in, while the exhaust valve been open a little creates a drawing force to help promote a better intake charge. With forced induction, the overlap isnt needed, and the exhaust valve being open just bleeds off the the incoming intake charge. To bad, cause that loping sound is pretty sweet.
4: I havent checked into having anything polished in a few years, but it wasnt very cheap. The process is time consuming, but but fairly straight forward. And it isnt very expensive for a diy job. Just get a polishing kit and read up on it. My friend and I did his entire frame on his motorcycle several years ago, and niether of us had any polishing experience at all until then, and it looked good.
6. Need some sort of chip to tune your car with and, a preferably a good dyno tune. A wideband guage would be a nice addition as well as a fuel pressure guage.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation on the fuel. Perhaps when someone explains what BSFC it will make more sense to me. Is there a size of injectors that you could recommend? I am really not the person that is going to be constantly tweeking/tuning/going to the track for more power. Been happy with the car up till this point and I am sure the performance bump will keep me grinning.

Being new to blowers I do not even know where or who to look for in a blower cam any help there would be great.

I have been polishing a cobra intake for some time now so I know that the parts needed are cheap but the back aches and sore hands lasts a while. I am too busy putting everything back together now to stop and polish the charger which is why I asked.

I already have an AFR and will be getting the tune done on a dyno not too far away. A boost gauge and a intake temp gauge are probably good any others recommended? With the multi gauges I run it just means adding another sensor module thankfully I don't have to mess with mounting another display.

kb1982

Reaction score
BSFC is the amount of fuel require to make 1 horsepower. For the best cam, it would be custom ground for your exact motor. They will ask all about your motor, and will base it off of that. Ive read alot of good things about custom camshafts from AD Performance. When I punch out to a 363 stroker, i think im gonna give them a call. For fuel injectors, cant go wrong with 42's. Actually, if u go to the link i posted, they have a cool calculator and you can see wat different hp levels require, and also see what effects of raising the fuel pressure has. A max duty cycle of 80 percent is what you should shoot for, and it gives you a little wiggle room. For 450 hp at a fuel pressure of 43.5lbs at 80% duty cycle at a bsfc of .6, they recommend 42.2 lb injectors. Run the injectors at max {100%} duty cycle and you only need 33.8 lb injectors. But a duty cycle of 80 is recommended by most manufacturers. Increase the fuel pressure, and now that fuel injector flows more fuel. IAT temps i wouldnt worry about, thats the tuners job to make sure more timing gets pulled out as it increases to reduce odds pinging. A boost guage is a must, as it lets you know your superchargers performance. As the rpms climb, so should the boost pressure, if it doesnt, you have some belt slipping going on. A fuel pressure gauge is recommended to, cause obviously lean is bad with forced induction. It will also let you know if you are running out of fuel pump, or if the pump is just getting lazy and heading south. I do recommend putting a one way check valve in between your pcv valve hose and the intake. This will keep the boost from flowing into the pcv and pressurizing your crankcase. Ive found that most pcv valves dont seal closed air tight when under pressure, and this will lead to blown gaskets and oil leaks. Ask me how I know that one. BTW, a i have zip ties on all my vacuum lines. Remember, when the boost is on, your vacuum lines have just turned into boost lines and they may pop off. Forgot to mention what bsfc stood for lol Brake specific fuel consumtion,

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thanks good info. Never heard of or saw the one way check valve you mention is there a brand you can recommend or a link to a place to get one? Also any recommendations on where to get the injectors?

Did I read somewhere that a catch-can is good or needed for FI?

95opal

Reaction score
I think I found the kit I want too get and am just waiting for him to get back into town Friday to get me some pics. I have a few questions...

1. What else will I need to change/upgrade for this? I already have an AFM power pipe and a lightning maf so I assume those should be good to swap over since the kit comes with a power pipe as well?

2. I am currently running 24 lb injectors and a 255 lph fuel pump so are those ok?
3. Is a trickflow stage1 cam ok for supercharging or is there something that would be better?
4. The head unit is satin finish and I would like it either polished or black. Anyone know of a place that can do this and how much do they charge? I also am not real big on the look of the ceramic coating on the power pipe is there a performance loss by powdercoating it?
5. What size TB?
6. anything else I might be missing?

I think that's it fer now....

1. the Na power pipe is different than the one for the blower so you can sell yours
2. 42s and pump are fine or step up to 60s and better fuel supply all depends on your HP goal
3. Better off with a blower cam or custom.
4. polish it yourself or send it out. I wouldn't coat it as that's just going to add more heat to the situation.
5.What size opening is your intake....match it
6. goals and expectations.....tough to give you advise unless you lay them down

kb1982

Reaction score
I dont have a one way checkvalve yet, but that is why I oil parking lots everywhere I go lol. I assumed under pressure, the valve in the pcv would create an air tight seal, well after blowing on several with my mouth i found out they dont. Your car actually has 1 on it already. The hard plastic piece that pushes into the brake booster is actually a 1 way check valve. Ill give you a few links to what I have found. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=36844&catid=489 The baller 1. http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valves/ http://www.modernperformance.com/product/mpx_check_valve_8mm/neonsrt4_turbo_oilcatchcans Next up a one way valve used on 2012 13 impalas for the brake booster . It has 3/8 barbs on both ends. GM part #20861501. This is what i will be using. As for injectors, just stick with the name brands and you should be fine. Unfortunately my 42's arent gonna be enough for me in the spring, but I know ford used them in the lightinings. Mine are the same green tops used in them. As for the catch can, as the piston rings wear, more of that boost is going to leak past them, causing your pcv to flow more air, and more oil. A cheap catch can is an air to water seperator for air compressors, looks exactly the same as the steeda unit and can be had cheaper from lowes or home depot. Just get 2 3/8 fitting barbs to go on it to hook up to yur pcv hose.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
1. the Na power pipe is different than the one for the blower so you can sell yours
2. 42s and pump are fine or step up to 60s and better fuel supply all depends on your HP goal
3. Better off with a blower cam or custom.
4. polish it yourself or send it out. I wouldn't coat it as that's just going to add more heat to the situation.
5.What size opening is your intake....match it
6. goals and expectations.....tough to give you advise unless you lay them down

The kid I am getting has a power pipe with it so does that mean my maf/flang will all fit?

It occurred to me that the kit is supposed to be new and unused so I am going to try and see if I could pay for the upgraded polished unit through vortech as they only charge 200.

Would powdering the power pipe increase heat on the ceramic coating or would it still do its job since its in there?

Nightmare

Reaction score
The kid I am getting has a power pipe with it so does that mean my maf/flang will all fit?
yes it should since it was designed for the 90mm maf

It occurred to me that the kit is supposed to be new and unused so I am going to try and see if I could pay for the upgraded polished unit through vortech as they only charge 200.
polish it your self

Would powdering the power pipe increase heat on the ceramic coating or would it still do its job since its in there?

It shouldnt, infact it shouldnt have any effect on the heat.

Are you going to be running the aftercooler too?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok guys I know how to polish shtuff don't get me wrong remember my intake I am looking forward to using and why I also want the head unit polished?
DSC00053.jpg

Why I am not going to polish it myself - As soon as engine bay is smoothed out and the wire tuck is done Iwill then paint the engine bay and then I get to put the motor back in and then install the supercharger and make sure everything I moved is still working. After that is done then I get to start working on finishing the body so I can paint it. After I paint it(only after prepping my garage too do it as well as prepping the car for paint) then I will have to wet sand and polish it. After its polished I will then finish repairing some stuff on the interior from the wreck. After that I will be going back to finishing my crazy stereo install which will take a lot of time. I would also like to make a radiator cover since no one I know makes one like I want as well as a few other things not mentioned. I just don't have time to spend doing it myself if there is someone here that wants to make a few bucks and do it here is your chance. With my chrones disease I am lucky if I have 3 hrs in a day that I do not feel bad and can work on the car, most days I feel like crap all day so a 3-5 hr job polishing it will take me 2-3 days if I do not feel bad in between. Make sense?

I didn't think powder would effect the power pipe I wasn't planning on coating the inside, just don't like the ceramic finish.

95opal

Reaction score
you cant powder over ceramic, you have to strip the ceramic first.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Tfs cam will work just fine. There is nothing wrong with over lap on a sc cam. Turbo is a different subject..of code a custom cam would be better. But I would wait till you build up.. coating I have no clue on.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
For boost I would skip the whole one way valve and re route the whole pcv system to a sealed catch can

ok I thought the catch can was an alternative to that. Already have one picked out I think so I might just order it to have it ready and see where I can mount it at.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
PAID FOR!!!!!

Hopefully it will be here next week and I can mach it up to move the hole for the intake. Is there a some kind of boost-card-membership I can qualify for now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online