What engine will swap?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
After replying to my own WTB thread, a thought occurred to me that will definitely fine tune my search for a replacement engine (should I decide to go that way):

What will fit? If I go with a replacement engine, I want something that will “plug and play” as effortlessly as possible. I DO NOT WANT a replacement that requires a ton of mods underneath and inside the engine bay. No “relocating motor mounts”. No Frankenstein concoctions of miscellaneous parts to “hopefully “ make it all work. Been there, done that on 2 previous resto-mods. Ain’t doing it again!

So, with those parameters stated, what platform am I looking for? Will any 5.0L block work? Will a 347 work? I want a fuel injected motor not a carbureted one. How does that factor in to my search and decision-making process?

Thanks again for any/all help. My previous 2 builds were on vehicles that you could stand inside the engine compartment, so all the tubes, lines, wires etc on this one is all new to me

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any short deck Windsor will bolt right in. The only thing to watch out for is that much older 302 based motors weren’t roller motors. Aside from that nothing has really changed much. So a 347 will fit all day long. You just need to use your water pump and all the front accessories.

Tall deck Windsor’s, 351w will bolt in all day long without modification to the car other than possibly different headers, different intake, and different hood depending on which hood you have and which intake you use. This gives you the capability to run up to the 408/418 motors and can make much much more horse without fear of splitting a block. Again, you use your water pump and all the front accessories bolt on. Still uses the same sensors and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
"Plug and play" means no changes to the engine configuration. Changing the cubic inches requires the comp to be tuned in order for it to run its best

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"Plug and play" means no changes to the engine configuration. Changing the cubic inches requires the comp to be tuned in order for it to run its best

He’s running a blasted cobra. Timing will be a must regardless.

Don’t ya think?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any short deck Windsor will bolt right in. The only thing to watch out for is that much older 302 based motors weren’t roller motors. Aside from that nothing has really changed much. So a 347 will fit all day long. You just need to use your water pump and all the front accessories.

Tall deck Windsor’s, 351w will bolt in all day long without modification to the car other than possibly different headers, different intake, and different hood depending on which hood you have and which intake you use. This gives you the capability to run up to the 408/418 motors and can make much much more horse without fear of splitting a block. Again, you use your water pump and all the front accessories bolt on. Still uses the same sensors and everything.

Thanks, Evil, that helps me a lot Gives me direction

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Right? Obvious now. thought of that shortly after posting!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He’s running a blasted cobra. Timing will be a must regardless.

Don’t ya think?

Actually, the supercharger is out. 5lbs boost not worth the heat that old style SC generates. If I go with a replacement engine, I’d like a fuel injected 347 with cam and heads. That’s about it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the supercharger is out. 5lbs boost not worth the heat that old style SC generates. If I go with a replacement engine, I’d like a fuel injected 347 with cam and heads. That’s about it.

So my post was supposed to say “boosted”. Fawking autocorrect. [emoji38]

But I’d still keep the blower and see if you could Intercool it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So my post was supposed to say “boosted”. Fawking autocorrect. [emoji38]

But I’d still keep the blower and see if you could Intercool it.

Huh... food for thought

Werecow

Reaction score
Big block FTW!!! Poked and stroked to a 521 wit a big ass snotty cam and just enough compression to scare the shit out the neighborhood when she fires up!!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t fret! I’m thinking they made more than one!!

tvsn95

Reaction score
in the for what its worth,, the AC bracket wont work with out rework on a 351..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
in the for what its worth,, the AC bracket wont work with out rework on a 351..

Ac bolts directly on to a 351w. They use the exact same front accessories as the 302.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got some VERY positive news today from FTK.

THE EGR valve finally came in, they installed it and put the car back on the dyno. Lo and behold it was able to go thru full gears and runs on the dyno this time so the measly and worrisome “200hp” on the first dyno now has been fully dyno’d at 350hp at the flywheel and 260rwhp. Now that’s more like it! Still down on compression but I can certainly live with the 260 (240 stock in ‘95) for now so at least I can drive it and meantime save $$$ for rebuild or swap in the future.
I should be able to pick it up this Wednesday with CA smog certificate in hand

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Great! This is awesome! We all knew something was off. I bet youre glad you didnt plunge into a rebuild!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online