What exhausts do you guys prefer?

fordguysmith

Reaction score
I'm looking into a complete exhaust. I like a car that has a nice sound, but also pretty loud at high rpm, but has a nice tone and good rumble at idle and low rpms. What should I look for? I don't really want to put flows on there because everybody has them and I would like to be different. Any suggestions?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
You could do what the other's have said so fat but if you want a real exhaust go with SLP. ^-^

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
so, running the stock headers, would the prochamber connect at the end of the header then a catback system after the midpipe? Also, is the SLP system a catback or midpipe?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
fordguysmith said:
so, running the stock headers, would the prochamber connect at the end of the header then a catback system after the midpipe? Also, is the SLP system a catback or midpipe?

Yes. the prochamber would be between the headers (it's actually the exhaust manifold) and the catback.

SLP makes headers, a modular X - Pipe (cats can be removed and "straight pipes" put in place, and a Loudmouth 1, Loudmouth 2, and Powerflo catback.

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
is there any way that i could hear that combo like in a sound clip? which of the SLP cat backs sounds the best?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SLP is pretty popular on the internet forums and such. Loudmouth 1s are the loudest, LM2s are quiter, and the Powerflo (I think that's what they are called) are the quietest. Search streetfire.net and go to mustangexhaust.com and look for clips. There are a ton. I know you have a 5.0 but here is my 4.6 with the stock midpipe (6 cats) and Loudmouth 1s and it is still pretty loud.

And did I mention SLP looks the best too. :bunny3:

102_1390.jpg

Here is one of the reasons I went with SLP. The sound is towards the end.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/lm+2/0/8403b601-b493-446e-8847-a307071a94e4.htm

95Boss

Reaction score
That Silver GT has a really nice growl. It sounded like it may be a bit loud at highway speeds though.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
95Boss said:
That Silver GT has a really nice growl. It sounded like it may be a bit loud at highway speeds though.

Theres no such thing as "too loud." ;) Have you heard a straight through muffler like SLP with an offroad midpipe in person?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
95Boss said:

Theres no such thing as "too loud." ;) Have you heard a straight through muffler like SLP with an offroad midpipe in person?

yeah...they're call glass packs. Sorry but an SLP setup is TOO loud. I've heard'em on F-bodys, 5.0s, 4.6s, etc. I seriously though a MACH 1 was racing me going by a cop...it was that loud. And at WOT, I think they sound like a farm truck. I absolutely HATE SLP's. Again, my opinion. Its not that they are too loud really, its that they make ANY car that loud...and most are too much bark for not enough bite. I'd rather have a 12 second car I can hear myself think in and sound moderately loud that a 13 second ride that rattles my fillings out.

I've got MAC L/T with a MAC Prochamber and Spintech Prostreets Dumped....LOVE'EM

94twinscrew

Reaction score
I change my exhaust like i change my underwear.lol

Mac's with x or h pipes sounds awesome....and smooth,not metal sounding like 2 chamber flows.

I run Magnapacs now with Dr gas X and I love the different tone,and for as loud as it is at WOT,there's no drone while cruising.....and it's pretty mean sounding.

Bassani and Borla's sounds a little tame compared to the mac's,but are quite pleasing.

I had 3 chamber flows with a x pipe and h...kinda mellow,but it growls like an exotic.

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
I live in a small down that doesn't really check for emissions. I don't have any cats on my F-350. Should I buy the catted prochamber or non-catted? does the cat hinder performance or mess with the tone?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of exhaust, and I really like the Bassani.
it has a great tone and doesn't drone.

of course that's my preferance, you may like something better.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
fordguysmith said:
I live in a small down that doesn't really check for emissions. I don't have any cats on my F-350. Should I buy the catted prochamber or non-catted? does the cat hinder performance or mess with the tone?
doesn't really check?.....dam you're lucky.lol

Yes,a catted pipe will be a lot mellower than a off-road pipe without. Cats are a little restrictive,so it will take power away from the car also.

DisturbedRacing

Reaction score
I got Kook's long tubes.....custom(homemade :naughty:) 3in H pipe...and one chamber flows dumped.

Before that I had FMS equal length shorties....summit 2 1/2 off road H...and 2 1/2 mac pro dumps.

Both set ups sounded great to me. The Mac's have more of a high pitched howl (to me). The one chambers are just a deep loud tone all around.

All in what you like I reckon.

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
ok, so how loud will stock headers, non-catted prochamber, and slp lm1s be? close to straight pipes? cuz that's not what i'm goin for but i love the slp sound!!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
fordguysmith said:
ok, so how loud will stock headers, non-catted prochamber, and slp lm1s be? close to straight pipes? cuz that's not what i'm goin for but i love the slp sound!!!

Pretty loud
I ran stock hedders, catless Prochamber, and side exit mufflers.
It's LOUD and it droned more than I liked.

It was cool at times, but when I didn't wanna be loud, like at 2am, you can't shut it up.
More of a mellow muffler could help with that.
It also poped a lot durring decelleration. I just installed shorties on the same mid pipe, and geuss what - No poping :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online