What gains?

schacher94gt

Reaction score
Since i have my car all torn down im planning on doing a C head swap. Now i know ill see gains bc the 98 cams are more aggressive but i was wondering if anyone has dynoed before and after they did the swap to see what power actually is added. Also, anyone here of advancing the cams 1 degree or so and gaining more?

btw im still on the hunt for some good c heads so if you know any PM me

thanks

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't have any "C" heads, but I do have about 3/4's of the Eaton swap parts needed.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
sullivan intake ftw. as for power what compression u plan on running, will you do any porting on the c heads, and how much boost (still 10?).

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
i have the intake already

im gonna leave the heads stock and i would assume i might lose some psi bc they flow a little better but ill be running the same pulley size and am gonna bump the compression up to 10:1

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
im thinking ill pry be able to gain somewhere in the 80-100 hp range bc im adding the C heads, LTs, increased my injectors and MAF (car was limited on the previous ones) and maybe and intercooler but probably not. What do you guys think?

i really am suprised no one has done a B to C head comparission

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
if u do a intercooler the boost is gonna drop 1-2 psi so if u do go intercooler u might want to drop down a pulley size or 2. you could look into a water/meth kit to cool the presurized air without loosing any boost. i assume ur gonna put forged rods in when when u change the compression. you will definitely see more low and mid range power over the b heads. but if i was doing all this with forged internals id order a smaller pulley for the blower regardless and get it all tuned when u have them tune the other mods ur doing. also are you doing the cop conversion with the heads or leaving it stock with the coil packs? id look at a KB Boost a Spark, i needed one when i was non intercooled and 15 psi with 9.2 cr. so it might be beneficial for ur set up because of the 10:1 cr ur going for. as for 80-100 hp, i think its a lil high of a estimation without adding some sort of intercooler and adding a couple more psi.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
ull be trowing on a new intake as well as you said.. 80-100.. i guess because u are SCed you might see those gains.

Dont forget to get a nice tune when you are done.. then yes you should be able to hit that... you going to be throwing in cams while your in there?

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
definately will be getting a top notch tune. im keepin my 98 cams as they would be a great match w/ the c heads

massacre

Reaction score
'98 Cobra cams in the C-heads should net about ~20RWHP.
Dyno proven:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1274588&highlight=

Also, when you asked about advancing 1 degree, I'm not sure about boosted applications.
I know that advancing the intake cams on an N/A application will help with tourque production and slightly lower the powerband.
I advanced my intake cams 4 degrees just for that reason, but I am N/A.
You might want to go to the Corral or modularrevolution or modfords and ask there.
There is a guy on Corral, "na svt" he is very knowledgeable about cams and timing regarding boost VS N/A.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.........

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
^ NA SVT is one of the best guys out there as far as knowledge on NA 4vs and what mods are needed and are beneficial. Hell just told me for my application and what I want to do, that a short runner intake will not benefit me. So Woot to saving money on that one.
Great guy and can provide awesome information..

hes on SVTP as well.

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
ya ive talked to na svt and hes helped me out so far. Thats awesome that the mach 1 gained 20rwhp just off older cobra cams. My question is why didnt he do the exhaust one too, i thought that was the one that helped c heads the most

massacre

Reaction score
schacher94gt said:
ya ive talked to na svt and hes helped me out so far. Thats awesome that the mach 1 gained 20rwhp just off older cobra cams. My question is why didnt he do the exhaust one too, i thought that was the one that helped c heads the most

Don't forget, the guys(like the car in that link above) that are seeing these gains are Naturally Aspirated.
And, the '96-'98 Cobra intake cams have more duration. Exhaust side doesn't help as much IIRC.

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
just got a great deal on a set of 03 cobra heads w/ comp cam springs in them, next on the list are my arp head and main studs that im getting for half the price of new