what high mileage motor oil?

smasher41

Reaction score
hey guys, my stang is pushing 162,000 miles ( going to go to PI headswap in the next month or two), and im looking for opinions on what oil to use for it. it's been using castrol 10w40,
I was looking at royal purple oils but is Is my car too high milage to go to synthetic?

basically, what brand and oil weight should i use with my mileage.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
You can use Royal Purple that is good quality oil it doesn't matter what your milage is.
I used 10W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic year around in my mustang.
It depends on what weight oil you should use.
What is your climate like? What is your weather like where you are?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
I second that.....I've only used Mobil 1,along with a can of Restore, in all my cars,I swear by it. My stang has seen a TON of abuse,and has 169,000 miles on it....and you'd swear the motor was brand new.

If you have only run regular non synthetic oil,you might want to run a can of Restore(this stuff really works), along with your next oil change of synthetic....a lot of guys do this to prevent seal failure from the added detergent properties of full syns...plus it helps gain back lost compression.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
I second that.....I've only used Mobil 1,along with a can of Restore, in all my cars,I swear by it. My stang has seen a TON of abuse,and has 169,000 miles on it....and you'd swear the motor was brand new.

If you have only run regular non synthetic oil,you might want to run a can of Restore(this stuff really works), along with your next oil change of synthetic....a lot of guys do this to prevent seal failure from the added detergent properties of full syns...plus it helps gain back lost compression.

+3

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
You can use Royal Purple that is good quality oil it doesn't matter what your milage is.
I used 10W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic year around in my mustang.
It depends on what weight oil you should use.
What is your climate like? What is your weather like where you are?

Im in georgia, faily humid, warm summers ( although its only like high's of 68 this week)

94twinscrew said:

Where can i get this Restore ? and do i used it before a chance or after the oil is changed?
should i just stick with the Castrol or is there any benefit to the synthetics? ( i get good prices on royal purple, hence why im looking at it :)

94twinscrew

Reaction score
You can get "Restore" at almost any good parts store....Like Carquest,napa,autozone,ect. It comes in 4cly,6cyl,and 8cyl sizes. It is added with you new oil,and most guys tend to use it on every oil chage because of how well it really works,esp with increasing oil pressure. There is a huge benefit to swappin over to a full syn,but like i stated before,you really should put some sort of additive to condition your seals and gaskets from the added detergents of synthetics. Rp is most likely the best oil to use,but the cost get pretty steep,esp if you change your oil often. I typically do an oil change every 2000 miles,or 2 months.....it may sound like overkill,but when you run a car hard,oil is the last thing that you want to neglect.

97blackgt

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
94twinscrew said:

+3
+4

4point6GT

Reaction score
yea either mobil 1 or valvoline.....my last oil change i put in royal purple but im gonna go with mobile 1 this next one n hopefully stay with that, either that or valvoline.....synthetic of course.

Knuckles281

Reaction score
I've never heard of Restore, that interesting. I've always heard that if you've run non-synthetic for over 75K miles, then it's a bad idea to switch over

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Knuckles281 said:
I've never heard of Restore, that interesting. I've always heard that if you've run non-synthetic for over 75K miles, then it's a bad idea to switch over

I've used the restore in a couple previous cars and did notice alittle difference.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Switching from Mobil 1 to Valvoline hi-mileage on the next change. I'm a big Mobil 1 fan but it's using a quart every 1000 miles.

You 4.6 guys running 10W30/10W40, how are your engines holding up? I'm hesitant to go thicker than factory but will consider it if it helps slow down how much oil I'm using

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
I switched back to 5w30 from 10w30 (not 10w40 like mentioned in first post)

havent noticed any difference in oil levels over time at all.

sk8inrj1

Reaction score
DO NOT use High Mileage Oil!!!! NO, PLEASE, NO! I am not saying use regular, synthetic blend, or full synthetic; just don't use high mileage oil. I made this mistake on my 150,000 mile 94 cobra that had run conventional from the beginning and now my oil pan leaks along with my rear main seal. I used the castrol high mileage oil. I'm going to try a can of restore and a full synthetic next oil change and hope it gets better.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
My car has 240,000 miles on it. And I use Valvoline max life 10 30.
Thats a crap load!! I have 214k on mine(kilometres, not miles!) and currently I run Quaker state horsepower full synthetic. It burns about 1/2 litre per oil change every 6 months. Im switching to Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic next time.

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Rice_slayer said:
caseypayne69 said:
Thats a crap load!! I have 214k on mine(kilometres, not miles!) and currently I run Quaker state horsepower full synthetic. It burns about 1/2 litre per oil change every 6 months. Im switching to Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic next time.
What part was a load of crap to you? I wasn't lying about anything.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Knuckles281 said:

I switched over from Motorcraft 5W-30 to Mobil1 5W-30 @ 105K. Went up 2 mpg on paper. Now has 155k and runs very well. It has had 1 treatment of Z-Max and has no leaks. Have pulled 27.5 mpg on paper on my daily work trek.

GT

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
Rice_slayer said:
caseypayne69 said:
What part was a load of crap to you? I wasn't lying about anything.
240,000 miles is alot. That is over 300,000KMs. I have never seen/heard of an SN95 with that kind of miles before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online